Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA charges to pre-assign World Traveller Plus seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA charges to pre-assign World Traveller Plus seats?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2023, 6:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Magic01273
Yes, yes - its all about giving "benefits" to [late booking] customers.

LOL.

In all seriousness, even as a status passenger who is unaffected, Ive always accepted that it's BA's prerogative to charge for seat selection. However the AMOUNT they charge is, in my humble opinion, insane...particularly on top of a business class fare that is already generally high - and already loaded with carrier fees/surcharges. And the reason they undoubtedly make a shed load of money on it, despite the eye-watering cost - is precisely because it preys on the worries and paranoia of regular passengers (who don't know any better and have never heard of "theoretical seating") that they will end up being split from their families. Even though the chances of that are usually pretty slim. Never really sat right with me to be honest.
As I understand it the fees are market tested so as to create an incentive towards waiting and selecting seats when online check in opens. This leads to a higher chance that couples or parties will be seated together.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Why would a high margin profit making ancillary be "insane" for a business? It's arguably more insane to give the benefit away with status, bearing in mind that two return trips in PE will give bronze benefits.
To clarify, I didn't mean that it was insane for the business. I meant its insane[ly expensive] for the customers who are asked to pay it.

For the business I'm sure its amazing!

I also didn't suggest they should "give it away" - rather, revise the costs somewhat. I accept however there is virtually no chance of that happening.
bafan likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MisterBill
I just booked a couple of Premium Economy seats on BA using AA miles. I went onto the BA website to assign seats and was shocked to find that they want as much as $100 to assign seats? Is this normal? The ticket was surprisingly cheap, only 40k miles plus $252 in ridiculous fees. Booking economy on AA only came with $27 in fees, but PE was not available.
Was there anything during the booking process that led you to believe that seat selection would be free?
Stormbel likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 7:20 am

Just wait till OP gets to fly J
Old Mar 18, 2023, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Just wait till OP gets to fly J
One can only hope it'll be on a 777/787 (the newer Club Suites) and departing from a non-A bus gate...
Old Mar 18, 2023, 8:12 am

Another BA special. And don’t assume that you will get the seat you paid for either - it is commonplace for BA to change seats and then tell passengers they can apply for a refund!
Old Mar 18, 2023, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
There's your reason.
Well, the AA and BA coach seats were both only 30k miles, even with the disparity in taxes ($27 vs $252). PE was only 40k.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the responses. The key is obviously to be ready to check in at T-24 hours.

Last edited by MisterBill; Mar 18, 2023 at 3:17 pm
Old Mar 18, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
They've been pulling this "BS" for a good 15-20yrs now so its not a new thing by any means. Those with Oneworld status love it, those without hate it. Either way, you'll be able to assign seats without charge when on-line check-in opens T-24hrs without additional charge
Money talks - it seems. I fly BA a lot and that money gets me BAEC status and the ability to choose seats without "paying" directly for that ability to choose. As the saying goes: nothing is free.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
It’s the main reason why I would never book on BA unless there were no other options. Even when buying a full-fare C-seat, there’s a charge on top for actual selecting a seat, which is just wrong.

I flew LHR-YUL-LHR last year, checked in at T-24 and to the surprise of absolutely no-one, there were only ...... aisle seats left.

That, and the horror that is Heathrow, will keep me well away from booking with BA again. Not that it’s of any concern to them of course, but then again their petty seat selection policy is no longer a concern of mine either.

I only fly long-haul when the company is paying for it. And whilst they do spring for C-class, they’re not paying for seat selection. From my home airport I can fly direct to all but one of my regular NA destinations, and for the last there’s a phalanx of 1-stop options which doesn’t charge for seat selection.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Even when buying a full-fare C-seat, there’s a charge on top for actual selecting a seat
Unless there has been a recent change, that is not correct.

The most expensive business class fares do include seat selection. Cheaper fare buckets do charge for selection.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Magic01273
In all seriousness, even as a status passenger who is unaffected, Ive always accepted that it's BA's prerogative to charge for seat selection. However the AMOUNT they charge is, in my humble opinion, insane...particularly on top of a business class fare that is already generally high - and already loaded with carrier fees/surcharges. And the reason they undoubtedly make a shed load of money on it, despite the eye-watering cost - is precisely because it preys on the worries and paranoia of regular passengers (who don't know any better and have never heard of "theoretical seating") that they will end up being split from their families. Even though the chances of that are usually pretty slim. Never really sat right with me to be honest.
Except the reports from all who’ve actually discussed it with BA - rather than those griping on here about a business charging for things - is that they don’t ​​​​​​want you to buy them. They’ll take your money if you insist, but really they’re trying to put most off so that status fliers aren’t stuck in aisles and love seats when booking last minute.

Given how few threads we have on here about golds having a crap selection of seats available, we can infer that the policy and pricing does exactly that.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, IIRC, only J and C fares include seat selection; R/D/I do not.
Even discounted first class tickets book into J on a Euro connecting segment, so you do get seat assignments on all legs when traveling First class. Of course half the window seats are blocked for high level elites anyway.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
On a TATL for paid J, the asking price for selecting a seat was a little over £100. That gave me a bit of sticker shock!
I recently booked AY flight CDG-HEL in Y for my statusless friend. While the price was about €80 or so, AY asked €50 to select exit row seat. That makes BA look not so bad.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by flyslow
I recently booked AY flight CDG-HEL in Y for my statusless friend. While the price was about €80 or so, AY asked €50 to select exit row seat. That makes BA look not so bad.
Well while we're on the subject, BA looks rubbish in Y compared to QR because the latter lets me have exit row seats for free as an OWS, whereas BA would charge me...

I guess the point is that each airline has its pros and cons around fees and benefits, and over time you learn to work with it...
adrianlondon and tmac100 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:36 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Unless there has been a recent change, that is not correct.

The most expensive business class fares do include seat selection. Cheaper fare buckets do charge for selection.
I’m sure you’re right, and shouldn’t have used the term “full-fare”. But, honestly, all I care about is a ticket reading “business class”.

(Rant=on)
And when it does read “business" we’re talking prices of USD 4000 and upwards for a hop across the salty divide, which may not be full-fare but should be more than enough to include seat selection. And it is with every other airline bar BA that I’ve ever been onboard. Penny-pinching by braking it down in fare classes is a rip-off, and so far off industry standard it’s deplorable.
(Rant=off).

There, feel better now
Mariocph and BertieBadger like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.