Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike planned - LHR T5 - HAL's security staff 31 March to 9 April 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike planned - LHR T5 - HAL's security staff 31 March to 9 April 2023

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dwugson
Slightly off topic but wouldn't it be nice if British airports introduced a PreCheck system such as exists in the US. It would make it so much easier for the frequent traveler to clear security without the hassle of removing electronic, shoes, belt etc and certainly expedite the whole security process.
the new scanners which are being rolled out and due to be in plane at all UK airports by 2024 will achieve that, so soon we will all have pre check
wrp96, Arsey00 and dwugson like this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
the new scanners which are being rolled out and due to be in plane at all UK airports by 2024 will achieve that, so soon we will all have pre check
regarding the bit in bold: I'll be very surprised if HAL manages to get there. As far as I understand it they're still at least a couple of stage-gates before they sign off the project and start work and the airlines are kicking off over the price (which is outrageous) and the impact on the operation in the interim (large).

I know many European airports have introduced the machines that don't require you to get liquids and laptops out, and I'm sure LGW will be able to do its bit relatively quickly, but HAL? They were about 2 years later on Standard 3 scanning machines for bags...
Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by 13901
regarding the bit in bold: I'll be very surprised if HAL manages to get there. As far as I understand it they're still at least a couple of stage-gates before they sign off the project and start work and the airlines are kicking off over the price (which is outrageous) and the impact on the operation in the interim (large).

I know many European airports have introduced the machines that don't require you to get liquids and laptops out, and I'm sure LGW will be able to do its bit relatively quickly, but HAL? They were about 2 years later on Standard 3 scanning machines for bags...
I am not a 100% sure why Heathrow can't make the investment while other airports did without increasing airport fees outrageously. Pretty sure Heathrow earns enough money with airport fees already, being the most expensive airport.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: BA: ex-Silver, now Blue. VS: Gold
From previous strike experience, are BA likely to be flexible with the cut-off time for Overnight Bag Drop?

Our departure is a couple of hours after the LHR 10:00 limit (in CW, FWIW) and obviously we would prefer to get as much done the day before. S'pose it depends whether OBD helps or hinders the situation, from an operations perspective.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 11:49 am

Anyone know if BA and IB flights to/from MAD will be in T3 or T5? I’m trying to figure out if our LAX-MAD trip will be affected.

On Heathrow.com, it shows all of today’s MAD flights using T3, but on the dates we’ll be connecting (31 Mar and 7 Apr) it shows T5 for all flights. Our flights between LHR and LAX are on AA so it would be lovely to avoid T5 altogether.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 11:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by princeville
Anyone know if BA and IB flights to/from MAD will be in T3 or T5? I’m trying to figure out if our LAX-MAD trip will be affected.

On Heathrow.com, it shows all of today’s MAD flights using T3, but on the dates we’ll be connecting (31 Mar and 7 Apr) it shows T5 for all flights. Our flights between LHR and LAX are on AA so it would be lovely to avoid T5 altogether.
well that very much assumes the disruption if the strike does happen is confined to t5.

it looks like BA MAD moves back to T5 from 26 March, but IB remains at T3.

tbh we have so little information that it is hardly worth worrying about it yet - I am sure part of the reason is the hope this gets resolved soon. However I would expect if the strike remains on, information will start coming out in the 5-7 days running up to 30 March.
princeville likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I saw an email coming through from BA earlier "A message from British Airways about your flight" and had a moment of panic.... but it was to let me know that one of my LGW flights was going to be operated by BA Euroflyer. Phew!
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by ringingup
I saw an email coming through from BA earlier "A message from British Airways about your flight" and had a moment of panic.... but it was to let me know that one of my LGW flights was going to be operated by BA Euroflyer. Phew!
I got 6 (lots of LGW flights), but hoping for a cancellation so i can move my flight on April 7 from LHR to LGW...
Old Mar 22, 2023, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by BA850
Assuming no legal impediment, a sensible mitigation strategy might be to treat incoming passengers from countries with reasonable security standards in the same way as domestic arrivals (borrow Schiphol’s list as a starting point).

The fewer people who have to pass through security, the fewer cancellations required in the event of strike action.

That said, LHR may not be physically set up to deal with that and it could be a logistical nightmare - perhaps an expert can weigh in.
Even if the DfT allowed it, T5 has no way of segregating "trusted" from "non-trusted" arrivals other than the arrangement at gates A1-7 (?). They could in theory send people up the escalators to the departure floor but that messes with conformance.
Originally Posted by 13901
This is something that airlines have asked to the DfT and Home Office since the dawn of time. Unfortunately there's just no appetite for that and will never happen. I mean, even domestic transfer bags get re-screened!
It's real small-mindedness by the Government but yes, it's unlikely to ever happen.
BA850 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
At what point would you proactively change your routing to avoid this? I've found an aer lingus option out of Gatwick via dub into lax that would work.

Do I just keel it cool for now?
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
At what point would you proactively change your routing to avoid this? I've found an aer lingus option out of Gatwick via dub into lax that would work.

Do I just keel it cool for now?
If you can change for free and this is not causing other disadvantages it's probably better to beat the crowds and change before the call centres go into meltdown.

But if this comes with change fees, downgrades, long layovers or other downsides I wouldn't do anything until it becomes clear what (if any) impact this has on your travel plans.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
An article in the Telegraph today states that airlines are now being asked to stop selling tickets over the strike period: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...lling-tickets/

Heathrow said: "We are taking action to minimise the impact on those who have already booked, including asking airlines to open flexible booking policies and to put a hold on the sale of new tickets on strike days."A Heathrow spokesperson said: "These strikes are completely avoidable and not supported by the majority of Unite members at Heathrow. "If Unite fails to agree a way forward in talks this week and industrial action does go ahead, it will mean there are fewer security officers available to search passengers, crew, catering and cargo."

The article implies that there could be knock-on impacts for other terminals as well.
becks1, Drwaz99 and Soeftel like this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:25 am

From what I understand, BA's current most likely assumption is the HAL and the union will come to an agreement before the strike, and thus it won't happen.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Dave_C
From what I understand, BA's current most likely assumption is the HAL and the union will come to an agreement before the strike, and thus it won't happen.
Thats quite a bold assumption.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Thats quite a bold assumption.
If Dave-C has a degree of insider info, it will be ‘BA’s most likely scenario, based on their knowledge of HAL/Union discussions’ more than assumption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.