Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike planned - LHR T5 - HAL's security staff 31 March to 9 April 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike planned - LHR T5 - HAL's security staff 31 March to 9 April 2023

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Very glad I'm flying into LCY and back from LGW next week.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Assuming no legal impediment, a sensible mitigation strategy might be to treat incoming passengers from countries with reasonable security standards in the same way as domestic arrivals (borrow Schiphol’s list as a starting point).

The fewer people who have to pass through security, the fewer cancellations required in the event of strike action.

That said, LHR may not be physically set up to deal with that and it could be a logistical nightmare - perhaps an expert can weigh in.
eefor jfp likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I’m travelling on the first morning of this planned strike… LHR-KEF having arrived from NCL (BA1337) on Thu evening before, which has gone red on my itinerary… does this mean potential cancellations are starting to be made?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by darloscott
I’m travelling on the first morning of this planned strike… LHR-KEF having arrived from NCL (BA1337) on Thu evening before, which has gone red on my itinerary… does this mean potential cancellations are starting to be made?
Red usually just means a change. Have you checked whether the departure time has been adjusted?

Red with a strike through means cancelled. You should also be notified by email and offered rebooking options.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BA850
Red usually just means a change. Have you checked whether the departure time has been adjusted?

Red with a strike through means cancelled. You should also be notified by email and offered rebooking options.
Thanks! Been a while since I travelled BA… can’t see any obvious change to the plan but I can live with that! Expecting something to get canned over the next few weeks anyway…
BA850 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:53 pm

I am booked one-way C-Class ATH-LHR-(T5/T3)-OSL on April 9th (Easter Sunday). This is booked from AA Miles. If flights do get cancelled etc because of this strike will BA rebook me? I'll be on a cruise and travelling from 31/03 and will arrive in Athens on April 8th.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Oslo Dutch
I am booked one-way C-Class ATH-LHR-(T5/T3)-OSL on April 9th (Easter Sunday). This is booked from AA Miles. If flights do get cancelled etc because of this strike will BA rebook me? I'll be on a cruise and travelling from 31/03 and will arrive in Athens on April 8th.
Yes, as a general principle. But keep an eye on this thread before you depart and I'm sure the latest information will be there. Speculation is interesting but not useful. That said, in theory you are not affected, since the HAL security check for you is T3 and not affected.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
Out of interest, does anyone know why T5 and cargo are seemingly being singled out for the strike by HAL security staff? Is there a different employment contract in play for security staff compared to the other terminals and airport areas?
Old Mar 22, 2023, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by BA850
Assuming no legal impediment, a sensible mitigation strategy might be to treat incoming passengers from countries with reasonable security standards in the same way as domestic arrivals (borrow Schiphol’s list as a starting point).

The fewer people who have to pass through security, the fewer cancellations required in the event of strike action.

That said, LHR may not be physically set up to deal with that and it could be a logistical nightmare - perhaps an expert can weigh in.
This is something that airlines have asked to the DfT and Home Office since the dawn of time. Unfortunately there's just no appetite for that and will never happen. I mean, even domestic transfer bags get re-screened!
becks1 and BA850 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 3:13 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by darloscott
Thanks! Been a while since I travelled BA… can’t see any obvious change to the plan but I can live with that! Expecting something to get canned over the next few weeks anyway…
More obviously it can also mean your seat has been moved, so check the airframe hasn't been swapped.

M
Old Mar 22, 2023, 5:18 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by plunet
Out of interest, does anyone know why T5 and cargo are seemingly being singled out for the strike by HAL security staff? Is there a different employment contract in play for security staff compared to the other terminals and airport areas?
I would assume they are simply targeting T5 since BA is Heathrow's biggest customer and will therefore put the most pressure on HAL to resolve the dispute. Cargo remains a lucrative source of income for airlines, so again it makes sense to target that too.

This way the union can claim they are taking targeted action to avoid disrupting too many passengers and it also avoids the need for all union members to strike and lose pay, etc.
plunet and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 5:45 am

I am flying to HKG that week, on one hand hoping that with only 2 flights a day and a nearly pretty much full J according to seat picker it'll cause them too much hassle to cancel any of them. On the other hand, it's only going from 1 to 2 daily next week so it might be really easy for them to delay that change until after strikes
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This might ruin our Easter trip to Austin...
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:29 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Slightly off topic but wouldn't it be nice if British airports introduced a PreCheck system such as exists in the US. It would make it so much easier for the frequent traveler to clear security without the hassle of removing electronic, shoes, belt etc and certainly expedite the whole security process.
eefor jfp likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dwugson
Slightly off topic but wouldn't it be nice if British airports introduced a PreCheck system such as exists in the US. It would make it so much easier for the frequent traveler to clear security without the hassle of removing electronic, shoes, belt etc and certainly expedite the whole security process.
Definitely OT. By the end of next year most, if not all, British airports will have scanners that won't require removing anything from your hand luggage.
Arsey00 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.