Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike planned - LHR T5 - HAL's security staff 31 March to 9 April 2023

Strike planned - LHR T5 - HAL's security staff 31 March to 9 April 2023

Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
When this was first announced, HAL made noises about having robust contingency plans in place, or words to that effect.
My experience in this area is that HAL have a contingency plan for HAL, it's not necessarily BA's contingency plan, and it's certainly not the passengers' contingency plan. That plan could of course say "we close T5 and concentrate on keeping everywhere else going". Robust means "we can do this and HR have their computers lined up to deduct salaries", as opposed to "well maybe passengers won't turn up and Tata Consultancy have a 4 week lead time for doing quotes".
Oaxaca and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:34 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I never thought I'd be so pleased to be flying from BHX again this Easter!
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:34 am

If BA has to cancel flights, would be interesting to see what they do when there are flights from multiple nearby airports. For example, our flight on March 31 departs from Newark. Given JFK is somewhat close, wonder if they would try to consolidate onto flights from JFK. Probably hard at this point given flights are full for Spring Break. We can't even find another flight to change to if we wanted (we are using AA awards for the flight).
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
If BA has to cancel flights, would be interesting to see what they do when there are flights from multiple nearby airports. For example, our flight on March 31 departs from Newark. Given JFK is somewhat close, wonder if they would try to consolidate onto flights from JFK. Probably hard at this point given flights are full for Spring Break. We can't even find another flight to change to if we wanted (we are using AA awards for the flight).
yes if ewr/jfk flights are cancelled then moving between would be fine
Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
I decided not to wait and ended up cancelling my BA F tickets from NY to JNB rather than risking a last minute fiasco. Ironically I was able to find exactly the flights I was originally looking at at half the price I was quoted 4 weeks ago on Qatar. I understand that I was not the first person cancelling or changing flights today because of the threatened strike. Hope all is settled before my next LHR flight in May.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dwugson
I decided not to wait and ended up cancelling my BA F tickets from NY to JNB rather than risking a last minute fiasco. Ironically I was able to find exactly the flights I was originally looking at at half the price I was quoted 4 weeks ago on Qatar. I understand that I was not the first person cancelling or changing flights today because of the threatened strike. Hope all is settled before my next LHR flight in May.
There hasnt been much discussion of it in this thread, but HAL has said that they have contingency plans ready to deal with the strike:

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64994967

Heathrow says contingency plans will be put in place to keep the airport open.

In a statement, Heathrow said passengers can be assured the airport will be "open and operational despite unnecessary threats of strike action by Unite".
There isnt much more detail than that, so it could be anything from training and sending Managers to the security channels to drafting the army (again) - and of course open and operational is not a promise that the airport will be operating at usual capacity.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
I was hoping they'd use the army - it really smoothed out the immigration service during that strike. However a scant two hour transit, dependence on an unreliable wheelchair service plus the A380 issues together with the strike meant too many variables with the potential for last minute changes and cancellations. As I am travelling with a 90 yo just couldn't risk it, would be different if I were travelling alone.
BA850 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dwugson
I was hoping they'd use the army - it really smoothed out the immigration service during that strike. However a scant two hour transit, dependence on an unreliable wheelchair service plus the A380 issues together with the strike meant too many variables with the potential for last minute changes and cancellations. As I am travelling with a 90 yo just couldn't risk it, would be different if I were travelling alone.
Thats perfectly understandable - you need certainty when travelling with someone so elderly, and throwing the A380 fleets reliability issues into the mix makes it an easy decision to cancel and rebook elsewhere.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There will be a strike of the HAL employed security staff at LHR T5, scheduled from from 31 March to 9 April 2023. The two main teams affected will be in the T5 Building itself, so the screening of passengers and luggage for both departing and transiting passengers. Also the cargo entry points, which will probably affect catering. About 1,400 staff are involved in this, though many are part time.
- On the other hand BA may well allow flexibility on existing bookings during this period, ahead of any cancellations.
Hmmm wonder if/when BA will announce some booking flexibility.. i have a LHR-FAO on the 7th.. would love to be able to move this to LGW for free :-)
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Hmmm wonder if/when BA will announce some booking flexibility.. i have a LHR-FAO on the 7th.. would love to be able to move this to LGW for free :-)
did call them that morning, no policy in place yet, will have a short connection on the 2.4. to ba279 due to multiple cancelled flights over the last half year, they refused to put me on an earlier flight to lhr, due to the fact, that I did use up my free flight change already(caused by 3 flight cancellations with my trip as of know),.
so do hope for a policy to be waived soon, to arrive on my destination in time
babyg_wc and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by JTXC
Could you elaborate on your last point? I am not trying to be sarcastic, I am curious; I have found LHR security to be okay, certainly smoother than an American or Canadian airport.
It's highly variable depending on the staff you get. Most of my trips through LHR are uneventful, as I suspect is the case for others, but you will sometimes encounter security clerks who take joy in enforcing everything to the letter and using their power over the passenger; examples from my experience include:
  • An infirm passenger who leaned on a walk-through metal detector for support being yelled at and subjected to excessive retaliatory screening (take off shoes, body scan, bag search)
  • A clerk barking at passengers that any failure to take things like liquids and electronics out of their bags would result in a 45 minute delay
  • A clerk closing a bag X-ray machine with trays already on it and their owners already gone through the WTMD
BA850 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:19 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes if ewr/jfk flights are cancelled then moving between would be fine
If BA ends up cancelling flights due to the planned security strike I doubt there will be any rebooking (to other T5 flights) allowed during the strike period. If the purpose of cancelling flights is to reduce the passenger numbers going through the airport, then it would be utterly pointless to allow passengers to rebook on another flight during the strike period. Unfortunately, if this does happen, I suspect that many people (myself included) will simply find they aren't going anywhere (on BA from T5 at least!).
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:31 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Things appear to have gone quite quiet, at least in the UK media. Hopefully a sign of serious behind-the-scenes negotiations.
crazy8534 and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
If BA issue a waiver, what are the chances of getting transferred over to AA (assuming there are seats)?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 8:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
If BA issue a waiver, what are the chances of getting transferred over to AA (assuming there are seats)?
Very high chance, near 100% I would say, if we get no nearer to a resolution soon. It's a lot easier if the AA service offers a BA codeshare, but even that's not a blocker.
becks1 and Soeftel like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.