Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike planned - LHR T5 - HAL's security staff 31 March to 9 April 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike planned - LHR T5 - HAL's security staff 31 March to 9 April 2023

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Had this on my twitter feed. Does not fill me with confidence

becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob

https://twitter.com/AndythePandy_/st...3KhWuN1_A&s=19
That seems like a sensible measure. Fewer people going through security and more seats available if disruption does spread.
wrp96, cosmo74, ringingup and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by stifle
Sorry if I misinterpreted you but you did write "actually" which is typically internet code for "you're totally wrong and also an idiot"
Totally not my intention! I'm in the camp of telling it as I see it... Sorry about that misunderstanding.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by sunshinebob

https://twitter.com/AndythePandy_/st...3KhWuN1_A&s=19
Might make it tricky for the commuters…
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Saladman
Might make it tricky for the commuters…
Wouldn’t commuters be on confirmed tickets anyway?

Commuting on standby would strike me as extremely risky…
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer

On a return journey they might standby for an earlier flight if they clear at LHR early. Also some might make allowances and say fly down to LHR from NCL GLA EDI the night before reporting to allow for delays in getting a seat.

I wonder if this is going to be like the restrictions were last year if you are delayed and you miss your connecting flight to anywhere (say Europe/Domestic). They won’t rebook you from LHR. This seemed a crazy policy when airlines were mandated not to sell anymore tickets from LHR last year.

Good luck to all travelling.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:52 am

IIRC the only 'confirmed' tickets that staff commuters would get would be hotlines. This seems to be ex-LHR only, so won't impact staff getting to work, but will impact them getting home. Let's see how bad things get on Friday.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Just got a cancellation through for tomorrow but the reason given was weather.
So I was sadly right about that being an issue all along....
Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
As a travel agent, we've just been informed that Heathrow has asked all airlines to cap all flights at 80% load factor for 31 Mar, 1 Apr, and 2 Apr (with a review and further contingency plans for 3 Apr onwards to come), but apparently no official communication has been received yet.

In the GDS, BA appear to have stopped publishing a range of fares from LHR (so even where availability shows it becomes impossible to price and sell a flight), and have added blackout restrictions covering 31 Mar to 2 Apr from some fares (so that the BA fare can't apply if there is any BA flight during that period).
Old Mar 29, 2023, 12:42 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by poplarflyer
As a travel agent, we've just been informed that Heathrow has asked all airlines to cap all flights at 80% load factor for 31 Mar, 1 Apr, and 2 Apr (with a review and further contingency plans for 3 Apr onwards to come), but apparently no official communication has been received yet.

In the GDS, BA appear to have stopped publishing a range of fares from LHR (so even where availability shows it becomes impossible to price and sell a flight), and have added blackout restrictions covering 31 Mar to 2 Apr from some fares (so that the BA fare can't apply if there is any BA flight during that period).

How is the airline meant to do this if the load factor is already over 80% and they have stopped selling tickets anyway ?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Keeping an eye on this story although I suppose I need to be patient and wait how this weekend evolves.

Due to fly to Germany on Monday 3rd (separate ticket) for a meeting and then on Tuesday from Germany via LHR to the US (on a slightly more complex multi city ticket starting in Germany).
If things look bad at LHR, might BA change my ticket to let me start from London (the meeting in Germany is less important but it’s crucial that I get to the US destination on Tuesday) without repricing?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
I supposedly fly ATH-LHR late Sat (the 1st) then LHR-FNC the next morning. Both flights are business class. All into and outta T5. In addition, I have booked a hotel for 5 nights in FNC. Then back FNC-LHR (on the 7th) and LHR-ATH on the 8th in business class. Wonder what will come to pass.

Also, what about the booked (through BA) hotel if BA does not fly me to FNC for a day or ?? I wonder if they will partially refund...
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
As expected, reports of last minute negotiations tonight:

"Unite’s general secretary Sharon Graham said the action would disrupt flights if talks on Thursday fail to yield a settlement. “The offer of new talks is to be welcomed but Heathrow's executives have to realise that the genie is out the bottle. “So, if the strike is to be averted there needs to be more real money put on the table to make a decent pay rise.” Unite regional officer Wayne King said: “Unite is entering into the talks in good faith but Heathrow Airports Ltd needs to be aware that unless it is prepared to improve the pay offer to our members then there is no chance of the strike beginning on Friday being postponed.” Heathrow claims that security staff have been offered a 10 per cent pay rise in addition to “further enhancements”."

Link to Unite Statement.

Fingers crossed...

Last edited by crazy8534; Mar 29, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
If things look bad at LHR, might BA change my ticket to let me start from London (the meeting in Germany is less important but it’s crucial that I get to the US destination on Tuesday) without repricing?
Typically that won't be possible. The one exception would be if the Germany to UK leg that you are booked on is cancelled. If Friday goes ahead and problems arise, then by Tuesday they may allow you to "book away", but that means after 9 April.
EDDLEGLL likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver

Depends where you commute from. If it’s the US for example then Hotlines aren’t a particularly cheap way of travelling. Europe and Domestic can be ok, but not always and generally the roster is only 6-8 weeks ahead so prices can sometimes be high. Standby gives far more flexibility although more risk and the commuters that we know build a sufficient buffer of time, however strict embargoes can mess that up.

Anyway something has been worked out I think, so apologies for the thread creep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.