Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike planned - LHR T5 - HAL's security staff 31 March to 9 April 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike planned - LHR T5 - HAL's security staff 31 March to 9 April 2023

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: Accor, Hilton, Marriott, Radisson Gold; Aeroplan 35K
Was anxious that I may be affected as my LHR flight falls within the date ange, but phew dodged the bullet. BA moved my LHR–LUX flight from T5 to T3...
Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:42 pm

We have a 10 hour layover on April 1, coming in T5 and leaving T3. Was considering heading out to see London for a few hours but with rail strikes also planned, we may just be passing time in the lounges to avoid missing our connecting flight.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 8:05 pm

I also have a T5-T3 connecting flight on 3rd April. Fingers crossed for some good news..
Old Mar 19, 2023, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
When can we expect an announcement regarding Ant and Dec moving their flight from T5?😂😂😂
ExpatExp, wrp96 and Erwin10 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
We are flying to JFK during the possible strike period. Anyone know how badly First wing security at T5 is likely to be affected? Many thanks
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Cara200
We are flying to JFK during the possible strike period. Anyone know how badly First wing security at T5 is likely to be affected? Many thanks
I'm afraid it's impossible to say at this point, as indicated above it will only be a few days before the strike that I would expect more information on BA's approach to this. JFK, however, will be the last route to be cancelled.
The _Banking_Scot and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
We're flying to BCN on the 30th so we'll see how that plays out.....or not, as the case may be.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Many thanks. We’ll keep an eye on the thread
Old Mar 19, 2023, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Cara200
There is a possibility that F wing security will be closed - if they don’t have enough staff then those who do go in will be consolidated together. But the absolute most anyone has right now is speculation.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Hoping this will get settled ahead of time - 10% is above what other recent strikers have been offered. In the meanwhile I'm one of those looking to change my reservations to avoid LHR. Surely BA and the airport authority don't want to see people avoid both especially after the past few years and COVID.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm afraid it's impossible to say at this point, as indicated above it will only be a few days before the strike that I would expect more information on BA's approach to this. JFK, however, will be the last route to be cancelled.
do you think that LIS-LHR would be one of the most likely to be cancelled?
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by twonga
do you think that LIS-LHR would be one of the most likely to be cancelled?
no. Domestics are most likely to be cancelled if anything. Beyond that possibly flights on routes with multiple other same day flights - but it’s all speculation at this stage.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:22 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
I have a LHR to CDG on the 31st at 0845 . Connecting to 1645 to Amman on RJ onward to KUL. Separate tickets but with a buffer of another two flights . I have booked a fully refundable Eurostar trip as a backup . £325 but a safety net . Lucky as most trains are full .
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:40 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Given the number of JFK rotations daily, would there be a possibility of one or two being cancelled, especially in a period when corporate traffic will be lower? Was trying to recall if this happened during various strikes in recent times. I have a return from JFK over this period, though sanguine about that, as I’d be fairly flexible about changes. Outbound (not to JFK) is more of a concern, not so much fear of cancellation as concern about general carnage at T5 security.

When this was first announced, HAL made noises about having robust contingency plans in place, or words to that effect. Any thoughts on whether those really exist, or just negotiating posturing on their part? LHR is constantly advertising for security staff on the radio in the London area, and has been for some time. Other than bringing them from other terminals (if that’s an option), it’s hard to imagine what effective contingency plans there could be without flight cancellations.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:26 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Will be interesting to see how BA handles this if the expected cancellations hit domestic flights first. Will they take into consideration planned disruption to other transport providers? For instance, over the Easter period, there are no Avanti West Coast services to or from Euston. This will mean that the East Coast line will already be under strain and probably mean last-minute availability will be limited if any at all.

I am surprised that BA hasn't already stopped selling outbound tickets over the planned strike period, given the issue will simply be passenger numbers not availability of aircraft or crew. Either they are confident that Heathrow really does have contingency plans in place (I'll believe it when I see it!) or are confident that a deal is going to be done. Although I note that what Heathrow is actually quoted as saying is that they have "contingency plans in place to keep the airport running", which doesn't necessarily mean that passengers will be boarding flights from T5. It could be interpreted as meaning that flights will continue to operate (i.e. depart without passengers, but continue to arrive with passengers). I expect they will try to keep some passenger flow but really cannot see they will be fully operational.

If BA does start canceling flights, I assume they will at that stage need to have a block on new bookings, since there is no point in canceling flights if passengers are then rebooked on other flights during the strike period. It won't help the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.