Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strike planned - LHR T5 - HAL's security staff 31 March to 9 April 2023

Strike planned - LHR T5 - HAL's security staff 31 March to 9 April 2023

Old Mar 26, 2023, 4:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Of course there will be more talks this week.
Grmaht and crazy8534 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Grmaht
its not well coordinated. Ive called the GGL twice and both agents were somewhat surprised I called. Saying its not confirmed or they have no prior knowledge so theres nothing they can do. How does that make sense when Heathrow has already published the strike is confirmed and I read on one of the news sites that there are no further talks planned prior to March 31st. They are in for one big mess if you ask me
Just to add to KARFA's point, may I politely ask you don't waste call centre time polling for where a policy has been published. I am sure it will be posted in this thread in due course anyway.

I was travelling yesterday and had two cancelations, followed by a 5-hour delay on the third flight. I may have got home several hours earlier had I not watched the availability go from J2 to J0 while on hold to GGL waiting for them to answer...
pjh981, wrp96 and KARFA like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:43 am

I asked staff today, both on planes and at First Wing, and they all seemed to think strikes would go ahead with likely disruption to operations. Purely anecdotal, but unanimous.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:15 am

It feels fairly certain now given the latest breakdown in talks and headlines across different UK news outlets. And check your passport validity or dont lose your passport as passport staff are also on strike in April!

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...07579.html?amp

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/h...-b1069781.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...lling-tickets/
Grmaht and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Munich is closed today and tomorrow due to strikes.
Might be better if that happened at LHR. Its a clear message, and everyone knows where they stand. The drip drip of cancellations and absence of a clear policy on rebooking helps very few. No matter how flexible you can be
Grmaht, becks1 and Door5L like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just spent a while on another re-ticketing issue (TA booked AA on BA) and mentioned the strike - AA (via the TA) said that any waiver (for AA) would likely be issued 'close to Friday' - uhm (I hope not!).
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by CKBA
Just spent a while on another re-ticketing issue (TA booked AA on BA) and mentioned the strike - AA (via the TA) said that any waiver (for AA) would likely be issued 'close to Friday' - uhm (I hope not!).
AA executive platinum liaison desk said the same thing to me
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I don't get the need to wait before publishing a waiver. It's clear there is an issue, let people make alternative arrangements now rather than a tsunami of change on weds/Thursday!

I did look as suggested by CWS at the twighlight check in but my flight is early afternoon so can't.
Grmaht and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I don't get the need to wait before publishing a waiver. It's clear there is an issue, let people make alternative arrangements now rather than a tsunami of change on weds/Thursday!

I did look as suggested by CWS at the twighlight check in but my flight is early afternoon so can't.
because the strike could be called off, there is a cost to allowing flexibility if it turns out as being unnecessary, and effectively if the strike is called off but you have already rebooked you will have managed to needlessly disrupt yourself.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:15 am

I have a LHR-AMS flight on the first day of the strike at 18:00! So looks like my family with be guinea pigs. If re-routing options are available what could it mean, leaving earlier from another airport or how does that work? thanks
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:19 am

Article highlighting talks breaking down and no further negotiations planned -

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/lifestyle/...ke/ar-AA192qti

virgin rebooking policy updates -

https://help.virginatlantic.com/us/e...ed-strike.html
Im confused. Why does VS have contingency plans for the strike when it is supposedly only in T5? Are they expecting T3 to be drained of staff? And if so, how come the T3 security staff a) arent in dispute with HAL and b) are willing to strike break their colleagues in T5??
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:20 am

Article highlighting talks breaking down and no further negotiations planned -

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/lifestyle/...ke/ar-AA192qti

virgin rebooking policy updates -

https://help.virginatlantic.com/us/e...ed-strike.html
Im confused. Why does VS have contingency plans for the strike when it is supposedly only in T5? Are they expecting T3 to be drained of staff? And if so, how come the T3 security staff a) arent in dispute with HAL and b) are willing to strike break their colleagues in T5??
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
because the strike could be called off, there is a cost to allowing flexibility if it turns out as being unnecessary, and effectively if the strike is called off but you have already rebooked you will have managed to needlessly disrupt yourself.
but where there is a joint venture and revenue sharing whats the cost! There is only upside offering flexibility especially to F/J passengers
Grmaht likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by KARFA
With 5 days to go, they're cutting it close to make a decision. I'd like the option to rebook now so I can make my arrangements at both ends of the flight.
Grmaht, citiflyerUK and EDDLEGLL like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
In this situation would the policy normally be applicable to all LHR flights, or just those cancelled or assessed by BA to be at risk of cancellation?

Also would it apply to o/w inbound bookings?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.