Transfer bags unloaded to belt at LHR

Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Transfer bags unloaded to belt at LHR

Fun new version of baggage handling shenanigans early this morning as transfer bags from BA56 from Johannesburg have all been unloaded to the belt, I see bags destined for JFK, MIA, MUC, BER, HAM to name just a few trundling past

Meanwhile those of us terminating here at LHR are standing watching these bags merrily spin around the carousel with no sign of our own bags

The sad thing is Im not surprised really - and clearly it was too good to be true that we arrived 2 mins early and had a clear run through the border!
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
This happened at T3 a few days ago too…..
SxMan and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
To update, what I am guessing happened behind the scenes is that the baggage handlers took all the transfer bags back which then further delayed usour bags eventually appeared around 6:45 and were at least amongst the first delivered, and again sadly thats probably what I would expect for baggage delivery at Heathrow (about 55 mins to an hour after arriving at the belt)

The funny thing is I had an instant notification from the BA app telling me when my bag did appear on the belt - much as that is a nice innovation Id really prefer if BA invested in getting the basics of baggage handling right
scoonee and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 3:59 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Just as well the U.K. is open for business
Old Mar 12, 2023, 5:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by daftboy
Fun new version of baggage handling shenanigans early this morning as transfer bags from BA56 from Johannesburg have all been unloaded to the belt, I see bags destined for JFK, MIA, MUC, BER, HAM to name just a few trundling past

Meanwhile those of us terminating here at LHR are standing watching these bags merrily spin around the carousel with no sign of our own bags

The sad thing is Im not surprised really - and clearly it was too good to be true that we arrived 2 mins early and had a clear run through the border!
Unfortunately, neither the first nor last time this hits.

They will eventually get around to collecting them and sending them out most probably on a later flight and thus causing more people having to file baggage irregularity reports and deal with the consequences of mishandled checked-in luggage.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Presumably this is a mistake by the ground staff at LHR? Or could it be that handlers in J'burg put transfer bags in the wrong containers?

Either way, it's a poor look for BA and will clearly inconvenience some passengers. As one of the posters above said, BA need to get the basics right, and too often they don't. These things happen everywhere, but the problems seem endemic at BA. Who within the management is responsible for baggage issues?
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
as others, this has happened to me multiple times despite my only rarely checking my luggage in. I first spotted it by chance and will now sometimes check the lhr belt in case if doing an exit-fw for my transfer with luggage checked.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta, United
We had that happen once to our bags. Off loaded in SFO while we went on to Tokyo then Guam. Was pretty pissed off about it as we traveled onward from Guam. Our bags caught up to us two days later - thanks very much to the handler in Guam.

Most people would never know that their bags were off loaded by mistake thus the airline not taking responsibility. However, once off loaded the bags have to be screened again. In our case, SFO uses private screening rather than TSA. And inside of our bags was their screening notice. As such, I could figure out what happened. I can not remember what we got from the airline seems like a monetary credit.

All of that was before the advent of RF tags and similar tracking.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Mar 12, 2023 at 10:59 am
Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Presumably this is a mistake by the ground staff at LHR? Or could it be that handlers in J'burg put transfer bags in the wrong containers?

Either way, it's a poor look for BA and will clearly inconvenience some passengers. As one of the posters above said, BA need to get the basics right, and too often they don't. These things happen everywhere, but the problems seem endemic at BA. Who within the management is responsible for baggage issues?
I don't have the detail on this one, but if it's anything like any of the other occasions I witnessed, the fault will be with the BA baggage handler at LHR.

They get their jobs allocated through a device, and the flexibility they show in doing other things is comparable to the one of granite. If they think they've been given a London terminating job, that's what they'll do, regardless of whether the bins have an A4 bit of paper that says 'transit', or the fact that the bags are all tagged to destinations other than London. It's infuriating.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 11:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

A few complaints in the media including on Twitter about flights going to and from Heathrow without luggage being loaded.

BA said in a statement to MailOnline: 'As a result of French Air Traffic Control industrial action and the continued adverse winter weather conditions around the UK and Europe, some of our customers' baggage was delayed last night.

'We're really sorry for the inconvenience caused and our teams are working hard to get their luggage to them as quickly as possible.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-baggage.html
Old Mar 12, 2023, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
I don't have the detail on this one, but if it's anything like any of the other occasions I witnessed, the fault will be with the BA baggage handler at LHR.

They get their jobs allocated through a device, and the flexibility they show in doing other things is comparable to the one of granite. If they think they've been given a London terminating job, that's what they'll do, regardless of whether the bins have an A4 bit of paper that says 'transit', or the fact that the bags are all tagged to destinations other than London. It's infuriating.
Contrast with AA is stark. If you look out of the window while waiting to disembark, the first thing you’ll see their baggage team do is check bag tags (whether loose-loaded or in bins) to make sure they’re being unloaded to the correct place.

Given the other thread about misdirected buses, do you think it’s that staff just don’t think for themselves, or that they’re not allowed to?
Old Mar 12, 2023, 2:05 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by PETER01
A few complaints in the media including on Twitter about flights going to and from Heathrow without luggage being loaded.

BA said in a statement to MailOnline: 'As a result of French Air Traffic Control industrial action and the continued adverse winter weather conditions around the UK and Europe, some of our customers' baggage was delayed last night.

'We're really sorry for the inconvenience caused and our teams are working hard to get their luggage to them as quickly as possible.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-baggage.html
If in doubt, blame the French
Old Mar 12, 2023, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
as others, this has happened to me multiple times despite my only rarely checking my luggage in. I first spotted it by chance and will now sometimes check the lhr belt in case if doing an exit-fw for my transfer with luggage checked.
Get an Airtag, easiest way to know where your bag is. On smaller planes, your iPhone might even detect your bag and say it's with you!
EJRofChicago likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 8:50 pm

Had a flight return back when it couldn't land at destination and some of the luggage got unloaded. Crew allowed people off and the grounds crew just started unloading. Ground crew just tries to unload and get the job done ASAP.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by cauchy
Get an Airtag, easiest way to know where your bag is. On smaller planes, your iPhone might even detect your bag and say it's with you!
If you're in transit at LHR T5 and checked your AirTag after your bag was offloaded in error, all you'd see is your case pinging from somewhere in the bowels of T5 which is what you would expect.
No clear view that it's actually on the collection belt by mistake.

You would only really know something's afoot if you could track your bag (still sitting in T5) whilst taxiing out on your connecting flight.
At least if that were the case you could make plans for arrival, i.e. not bother with luggage collection and go straight to the shops receipting everything for BA to reimburse :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.