London Airways

Old Feb 22, 2023, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
London Airways

We all know that the initialism "BA" is short for "London Airways" (among other names) , but I remember a few years ago that there was talk on here about BA were looking to have more flights based outside of London. Whatever happened to that idea? Or am I just ms-remembering?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 3:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Short of a few routes that were tried during 2020 as we came out of lockdown (I seem to remember an attempt at NCL to OPO for example), yes you are misremembering. Its quite simply not BAs strategy to do direct flights from the regions.

BACF is distinct and has done a bit in the past and continues to do so now.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 3:47 pm
formerly JackDann

I think they were doing some European destinations from SOU also? May have made that up!

BHD had a few flights to GLA and other destinations, but these also never stuck.

These of course are BACF routes, if that counts.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 3:51 pm

None of the BACF regional routes were based in the regions though, they positioned from London.

BA hasn't had any aircraft based outside London for probably 20 years, or even more?
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 3:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JD1905
I think they were doing some European destinations from SOU also? May have made that up!

BHD had a few flights to GLA and other destinations, but these also never stuck.

These of course are BACF routes, if that counts.
Yes the BHD routes by BACF were a replacement for the aer lingus regional routes after stobart went bust and until new operator emerald got up and running. It was never supposed to to be long term.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver
BACF still fly from SOU to AGP amongst others I think. The AGP route was picked up after Flybe went bust, the first time, not sure about the other routes but that route was ever only previously flown by Flybe.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Not with BA themselves but within IAG there are the Aer Lingus UK flights from MAN.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA: ex-Silver, now Blue. VS: Gold
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Not with BA themselves but within IAG there are the Aer Lingus UK flights from MAN.
And, if you really want, you can book a BA flight BHX-BHD. It'll have a BA flight number and, when they announce boarding, they even say "British Airways and Aer Lingus departure to Belfast". But it's an Emerald Airlines aircraft, and you'll have paid at least 50 for the privilege of BA branding over that of Aer Lingus, so those TPs would have to be worth it.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
None of the BACF regional routes were based in the regions though, they positioned from London.

BA hasn't had any aircraft based outside London for probably 20 years, or even more?
Yes, we flew BHX to Florence in 2018, its second season of service (IIRC). As far as bums on seats go, it was hugely successful with a load factor of around 96%, this beat other routes with the exception of Edinburgh...and the prices were reassuringly expensive too! Yield though was presumably going to be constrained by the need to position aircraft and crew in to Brum for an 06:15 Saturday departure, and diagrams from Brum to competition heavy PMI and AGP each weekend (puzzling as Nice or Lisbon, for example, weren't served from BHX)
The service, though, was excellent and we booked for the following year, which saw the 170s replaced with 190s and the season extended to the end of October. Sadly it was pulled before it got going, so we had ring to re-book to head back to LHR, opting for FCO instead.

Last edited by Robert279; Feb 23, 2023 at 12:53 pm
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:06 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
There was a B767 based at MAN until 2010 for the MAN-JFK flight. I think that was the last.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:10 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
There was a B767 based at MAN until 2010 for the MAN-JFK flight. I think that was the last.
That makes me feel old! I used that service regularly, cant believe its 13 years since its demise 😱
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:11 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That makes me feel old! I used that service regularly, cant believe its 13 years since its demise 😱
Same here...
Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold For Life/GGL, Hiton Diamond For Life
Me too. Mrs Jetsetmonty and I used it quite bit. The timings made a long weekend worthwhile.
Usually operated by G-BNWH too, though one time on G-BNWO (I think) we got FLUB service.
Robert279 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by Yetak
BACF still fly from SOU to AGP amongst others I think. The AGP route was picked up after Flybe went bust, the first time, not sure about the other routes but that route was ever only previously flown by Flybe.
Its quite odd coming into Southampton on a Saturday or Sunday & seeing 8 or 9 BA flagged planes at the terminal!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.