Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why in God's name are BA still flying this RUST BUCKET?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Last week I had the misfortune of flying "club world" (business class????) from LHR-EWR on BA181. It was on the airplane "G-YMMU". My God it was a disgusting plane - old, battered up seats, the smallest IFE screens I have ever seen (and scratched up and pixelated so you couldn't even see the picture clearly), no USB sockets or plugs (so no way to charge your phone or use your laptop) and it was generally just dirty, old and tired. Absolutely shocking experience. I can't believe BA still flies a plane like this - how is this allowed, especially on the New York route? I'll be lodging a complaint but no doubt they won't care.
ttama likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Unfortunately you were unlucky. That specific aircraft is one of the 2 still with the old seats and IFE in the fleet. Its actually one of the newer 777s in the fleet as well. It's due to be refurbished in the near future. As for why it was operating your flight, it may have been the only frame available at the time to operate the flight otherwise it would probably have been cancelled (this is an assumption of course). Personally and I'm sure many would agree, that these aircraft should have been first on the list for refurbishment, but BA thought otherwise.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Archie911
Last week I had the misfortune of flying "club world" (business class????) from LHR-EWR on BA181. It was on the airplane "G-YMMU". My God it was a disgusting plane - old, battered up seats, the smallest IFE screens I have ever seen (and scratched up and pixelated so you couldn't even see the picture clearly), no USB sockets or plugs (so no way to charge your phone or use your laptop) and it was generally just dirty, old and tired. Absolutely shocking experience. I can't believe BA still flies a plane like this - how is this allowed, especially on the New York route? I'll be lodging a complaint but no doubt they won't care.
Concur. Flew it back from Dubai last week and couldn't believe the size and state of the screens.
Hope you didn't look down the side of 2A.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 3:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Archie911
I'll be lodging a complaint but no doubt they won't care.
Yes, definitely put in a complaint, I suspect the reply may reduce your pain and suffering somewhat. But add in the complaint that you are aware that this aircraft is soon going to be refurbished, to kind of highlight that this is one of the two orphan kiddies of the BA fleet, this may help your case. But yes, if it was me, these two girls would be off to CWL tomorrow. After they have been tidied up the complaints will cease, they will look like the new aircraft that (relatively) they should be. Welcome to Flyettalk and welcome to the BA Forum.
ermis177, becks1 and RNdouble like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Shows what a difference the interior and first impressions can make. Up until recently YMMR/S/T & U have been the odd balls in the fleet and they are the 4 newest & final 772 deliveries to the airline in 2009 -- and some of the last 777-200ERs built.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:13 am

It's really quite unbelievable they're still out and about - they were beat up and the IFE didn't work when I last flew one in 2015! They hadn't been being used particularly intensively but I noticed since Christmas they have been busier, it's still unlikely to end up on one to New York/Newark though.Hopefully they'll be off to CWL sooner rather than later, though I did wonder if it's got to the point that BA may not have ordered more suites and instead is waiting to take them out of other retiring 777s, some of them are getting very elderly now
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
According to this post G-YMMR going to CWL for CS refurb today
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35029852-post789.html

That will only leave G-YMMU in the sorry state which according to below post happens right after
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35012916-post1537.html
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
You'll probably get some avios for complaining.

I wonder if the newer aircraft (i.e. newer compared with their peers, not the newest delivered) are often the tattier ones? They will be behind the older ones for a refurb and therefore will look like the oldest ones, even if they aren't.
camdentown and RNdouble like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
According to this post G-YMMR going to CWL for CS refurb today
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35029852-post789.html

That will only leave G-YMMU in the sorry state which according to below post happens right after
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35012916-post1537.html
Thanks for that, and indeed it looks like YMMR is right now running around Stratford and into Heathrow after the final but delayed service from Toronto. She is scheduled to go off to Wales this afternoon.

YMMU on the other hand appears to be some sort of fallback, picking up trips from other services that have equipment issues, so I guess BA cannot manage without it. It's on the way from Bombay/Mumbai at the moment.
NoTiersForMe and RNdouble like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Ahhh, YMMU/YMMS/YMMT/YMMR ... how I will miss your appalling analogue IFE, uncomfortable CW seat cushions, tiny tables & laughable lack of power on the 14 hour pre-covid flights to EZE
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:11 am
D1L

As already mentioned above, YMMU is now the lone oddball of the fleet and the last 777 with the "utopia" style interior in World Traveller and Plus. Its amazing that they had no immediate plans to refresh these aircraft 10 years ago, never mind still having it now, particularly the IFE if nothing else. If it means my flight is still going to be operated over a refurbished 777 though, i'll take it.

It has been rumoured that this aircraft would be converted to the LGW 32J 48W 252Y config when it finally goes for its refurb. I think the rumour hails from a pre-2020 business plan where LGW was planned to increase to 17 based 777s. Afterall, this would probably be the aircrafts last chance to be converted into this config during its time at BA (in terms of time and costs). However, with G-VIIV G-VIIW G-VIIY (4-class LGW configa) rarely operating from LGW anymore, its probably unlikely they'll need this extra frame anytime soon now.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Whilst the economy passengers, although labouring with the same terrible IFE, enjoyed 9 abreast seating and far comfier cushions than they would on a refurbished bird! I enjoyed one last fling at the back of MMS last October anyway!
Kgmm77 and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
My interest has been piqued by this: does anyone have any photos of the cabin?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:54 pm
D1L

Originally Posted by salut0
My interest has been piqued by this: does anyone have any photos of the cabin?
Not directly of YMMU, but this is the cabin interior / IFE that it has. Once you've been on a refurbed or newer aircraft the older design is much more noticable. Especially the very outdated IFE. However if you're down the back, the seats are generally comfortable atleast.

Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:58 pm

Programs: Blue card
Of course had Boeing actually delivered any aircraft on time, the fleet refits could have been done much sooner.
etiene and RNdouble like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.