Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

PHX to ZRH via PHL or LHR - guidance please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2023, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Hi all
Need to get from PHX to ZRH and looks like best price/date combo is AA or BA. Economy award ticket. Timings are about similar with a couple hour layover. Which is the better option to take?

Which one less chance of cancellation?
which one has less walking/transit time in the terminal? I think LHR all in one terminal now?
is AA better as I wouldn’t have to go through security again?
not sure which one has better inflight service / etc?
might check in one bag - does LHR still have baggage chaos?

thank you
Old Feb 19, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
PHL.

LHR requires one extra round of security screening that you can avoid if going via PHL.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Avoid the zoo which is LHR T5 flight connections if you possibly can.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
Hi all
Need to get from PHX to ZRH and looks like best price/date combo is AA or BA. Economy award ticket. Timings are about similar with a couple hour layover. Which is the better option to take?

Which one less chance of cancellation?
which one has less walking/transit time in the terminal? I think LHR all in one terminal now?
is AA better as I wouldn’t have to go through security again?
not sure which one has better inflight service / etc?
might check in one bag - does LHR still have baggage chaos?

thank you
Although Economy seating will be tight with either carrier, you should at least get a minimum of 31" seat pitch on the AA flights, and on the BA trans-Atlantic flight. But the BA LHR-ZRH flight -- though only about 1¾ hours long -- will be in a miserable 29"-pitch seat.

Do you have status in any oneworld frequent-flyer program?

If you are using Avios for this trip, what is the cash component?
Old Feb 19, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Depending on whether you are flying on AA or BA metal over the ocean and also on whether you are using Avios points or AAdvantage miles, there can be a difference in the amount of fuel surcharge you pay.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the suggestions - looks like it's AA via PHL - also keen to avoid the T5 zoo but wasn't sure how it was in PHL. But not having to go through security again in PHL makes sense - just thought US flights were 'clean' and didn't have to go through - thought wrong.
I'm actually going to use AAvantage miles (burned Avios already) and top up 10k as I don't have enough to cover but total cash out makes sense instead of buying a regular ticket
Old Feb 19, 2023, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks all for the suggestions - looks like it's AA via PHL - also keen to avoid the T5 zoo but wasn't sure how it was in PHL. But not having to go through security again in PHL makes sense - just thought US flights were 'clean' and didn't have to go through - thought wrong.
I'm actually going to use AAvantage miles (burned Avios already) and top up 10k as I don't have enough to cover but total cash out makes sense instead of buying a regular ticket
Using AA miles for this trip makes sense -- at least if you can find MileSAAver availability for PHX-PHL-ZRH. Your cash component on the outbound should be just $5.60. And the AA miles required for a MileSAAver redemption one way in Economy should be either 22.5K off-peak, or 30K miles peak.
MitzEclipse likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Philly isn't a great airport, but I'd rather break up a long haul when flying economy, plus as the first reply said, one less security screening. Find a Chickie and Pete's for cheese fries and Yuengling!
MitzEclipse likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
Philly isn't a great airport, but I'd rather break up a long haul when flying economy, plus as the first reply said, one less security screening. Find a Chickie and Pete's for cheese fries and Yuengling!
When connecting through PHL, I always liked the pizzas at Mezzogiorno in Terminal B:

https://www.philamarketplace.com/directory/vendor/944

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.