FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   No trains into the CTA at Heathrow… (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2111690-no-trains-into-cta-heathrow.html)

swiss Julie Feb 14, 2023 3:46 am

No trains into the CTA at Heathrow…

Will update more as I know.

ttama Feb 14, 2023 3:52 am

Originally Posted by swiss Julie (Post 35010233)
Will update more as I know.

Twitter goss said something about a helium balloon in the Elizabeth Line tunnel, but doesn't explain all trains, as now reported

swiss Julie Feb 14, 2023 3:52 am

A foil helium balloon is wrapped around the overhead cable at the entrance to the tunnel. All trains suspended at the moment.

MaxFlyer Feb 14, 2023 4:02 am

Is it from our friends in China wanting to check on us?!

Kranebitten Feb 14, 2023 4:02 am

Yes definitely an overhead line (catenary) issue as others have said as I can see that as the attributed reason for one of the impacted trains. For those that wish to see the real-time situation of trains on the ground then the Signalling Diagram will help.

EDIT - I should add that this will impact all trains to/from Heathrow, i.e. CrossRail/Elizabeth Line and Heathrow Express to all terminals.

ttama Feb 14, 2023 4:06 am

Drat. Was hoping for a nice quiet tube trip to T5 today. Now it'll be rammed. Disruption between Paddington and Heathrow trains expected until end of day.

Lucanesque Feb 14, 2023 5:50 am

For future reference, can someone explain what CTA stands for please?

KARFA Feb 14, 2023 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Lucanesque (Post 35010385)

central terminal area, so the bit in the middle of the airport where T2 and T3 are.

The joint HEX/crossrail station in the central area is called Heathrow Central.

the tube is running fine as well in case anyone needs alternatives.

ttama Feb 14, 2023 5:57 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 35010391)
the tube is running fine as well in case anyone needs alternatives.

Yep, not too busy.

Kranebitten Feb 14, 2023 6:59 am

Just to update for those travelling this afternoon that things look to be back to normal, but always worth checking before you head for the station.

sammyg901 Feb 14, 2023 8:14 am

If you are on Crossrail / at Paddington when this happens it isn't a bad back up to head to Hayes & Harlington instead. There are various bus options or you can get an Uber. Though there is a really weird situation that I couldn't quite understand if they stop on what seemed to me to be a drop off zone outside the station a permanently stationed "warden" takes their photo and they get a ticket! So help out your driver and have them pick you up somewhere on the main road

Kranebitten Feb 14, 2023 8:44 am

Originally Posted by sammyg901 (Post 35010700)
If you are on Crossrail / at Paddington when this happens it isn't a bad back up to head to Hayes & Harlington instead. There are various bus options or you can get an Uber. Though there is a really weird situation that I couldn't quite understand if they stop on what seemed to me to be a drop off zone outside the station a permanently stationed "warden" takes their photo and they get a ticket! So help out your driver and have them pick you up somewhere on the main road

Yes useful advice - if you mean station approach, that is a no stopping zone with £100 charge. The main road is also double yellows/bus stops so care needed. Have had similar when grabbing an Uber at Ealing Broadway - need to walk a little to somewhere your driver can pull in.

Oxon Flyer Feb 14, 2023 8:52 am

Originally Posted by sammyg901 (Post 35010700)
If you are on Crossrail / at Paddington when this happens it isn't a bad back up to head to Hayes & Harlington instead

Just noting that Hayes and Harlington is the last Crossrail stop before they turn off the main line to Heathrow, so you just "get off" there rather than "head there instead".

When there is disruption in the Heathrow tunnels, they often terminate short at Hayes & Harlington anyway, as quite a number have done today.

salut0 Feb 14, 2023 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Lucanesque (Post 35010385)

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 35010391)
central terminal area, so the bit in the middle of the airport where T2 and T3 are.

Important to distinguish between “the CTA” and CTA:

The former: the Central Terminal Area at LHR

The latter: an airport in Sicily, a BA destination in its own right, otherwise known as Catania, to which it is unlikely there will be direct trains from London unless this is ever built:

https:/en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strait_of_Messina_Bridge

Saladman Feb 14, 2023 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by salut0 (Post 35012217)
Important to distinguish between “the CTA” and CTA:

The former: the Central Terminal Area at LHR

The latter: an airport in Sicily, a BA destination in its own right, otherwise known as Catania, to which it is unlikely there will be direct trains from London unless this is ever built:

https:/en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strait_of_Messina_Bridge

Also the CTA, in respect of the U.K. is the Common Travel Area - The British Isles. That’s what I initially thought when I read the thread title - as I’ve never heard of the Central Terminal Area as I’ve always heard it just referred as the Central Area. Thought it was a bit odd until I read on!!