Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access under 18

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2023, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Lounge access under 18

My daughter is flying business, she is 15 but looks whatever age you want to assign between 15 and 20.

the official rules are no access if you are under 18 i believe from reading on here.

if she tried to enter the lounge is it down to the staff asking if she is over 18 or will the system tell them ?

that said the ba site

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits/lounge-access

makes no age limitation Lounge access is available to:
  • British Airways customers flying on a scheduled flight in Club or First

thanks
Old Feb 10, 2023, 1:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The system will tell them, but it's down to an agent to search that out. It probably depends if the agent happens to be a parent of a 15 year old....
Old Feb 10, 2023, 1:33 pm
mun

Programs: british airways virgin
Have flown multiple times with my grandchildren, they have never been denied lounge access. My 5 year old grandson has a gold card and can guest people into the lounge!
RJD1983, tmac100 and jamesjy like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
My daughter is flying business, she is 15 but looks whatever age you want to assign between 15 and 20.

the official rules are no access if you are under 18 i believe from reading on here.

if she tried to enter the lounge is it down to the staff asking if she is over 18 or will the system tell them ?

that said the ba site

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../lounge-access

makes no age limitation Lounge access is available to:
  • British Airways customers flying on a scheduled flight in Club or First

thanks
Actually, the BA terms and conditions do provide that anyone under 18 years of age "must be accompanied by a responsible adult" to use a lounge.
10.2. Members must produce their Card and/or a boarding card or ticket (where their Membership Number and Tier Status are clearly visible) before they can be admitted to a Lounge. If a Member is unable to produce either of these items, this may result in not being invited into the Lounge. Anyone under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a responsible adult when using a Lounge. Local laws relating to the consumption of alcohol will apply.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...and-conditions
orbitmic, SxMan and Luther.e like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Actually, the BA terms and conditions do provide that anyone under 18 years of age "must be accompanied by a responsible adult" to use a lounge.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...and-conditions
thank you for your reply. I assume that is the executive club conditions ? But she is eligible for the lounge due to class or travel per their website so I don’t think the exec club terms apply

Originally Posted by mun
Have flown multiple times with my grandchildren, they have never been denied lounge access. My 5 year old grandson has a gold card and can guest people into the lounge!
I assume the 5 year old is not travelling alone. My daughter is !

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The system will tell them, but it's down to an agent to search that out. It probably depends if the agent happens to be a parent of a 15 year old....
thanks good to know it is not a blinking red sign on the screen !
HIDDY, RJD1983 and CharlotteC like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 10, 2023 at 5:13 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old Feb 10, 2023, 2:06 pm
mun

Programs: british airways virgin
I assume the 5 year old is not travelling alone. My daughter is !
where did you say that in your origional post?
Old Feb 10, 2023, 2:10 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mun
where did you say that in your origional post?
to be fair I understood she would be on her own, and it seems those who responded on the thread read it that way too.

Last edited by KARFA; Feb 10, 2023 at 2:33 pm
Old Feb 10, 2023, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thank you for your reply. I assume that is the executive club conditions ? But she is eligible for the lounge due to class or travel per their website so I don’t think the exec club terms apply
Ok, then there is the general restriction on ba.com regarding access when flying Club:
The lounges are available for customers who are:
  • flying on a scheduled British Airways flight in First or business (Club World or Club Europe)
  • a Silver or Gold Member of the British Airways Executive Club on a scheduled flight operated by British Airways or one of our oneworld partners
  • a Sapphire or Emerald member of any of the oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes on a scheduled flight operated by British Airways or one of our oneworld partners
  • over the age of 18 years, or if under 18 years you are accompanied by a responsible adult. (Local laws relating to the consumption of alcohol will apply.)
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...mation/lounges
A similar provision can be found on that same page for those flying F.
One of the more famous refusals of access:
Game of Thrones Star Denied Access to British Airways Club Lounge [Under age]

See also these threads:
Lounge access for solo traveler age 17
Food voucher in lieu of lounge access for 17 year-old
BA Lounge access 16 year old
orbitmic and Jacinda like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Thank you.some interesting threads. Does the £30 voucher / Concorde room still work ?

Last edited by jeremyBA; Feb 10, 2023 at 2:59 pm
Old Feb 10, 2023, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smile

Thank you.some interesting threads. Does the £30 voucher / Concorde room still work ?
I think the voucher only ever really worked at LGW. I would probably just have her walk in with some other people so it doesn't look like she is alone and tell her to look mature or at least as mature as an 18 year old might look.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 3:08 pm

Officially no unaccompanied U18s are allowed in, and this is spelled out both in the lounge access guide and in staff training. It’s a legal requirement because of the availability of self-pour alcohol (CCR is actually permitted for the same reason).

You don’t say where she’s travelling. If it’s domestic and you don’t put passport details in the booking then they wouldn’t know anyway unless they asked so you’re more likely to get away with it. For international flights then clearly they’ll have to know. For economy they’d also know from the ticket if you’d booked her as a young adult (to avoid APD), but again this wouldn’t apply to CE.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Ask Maisie Williams, I think the last thread about this was about her
Old Feb 10, 2023, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I’m 16, fly in CE regularly alone and am Gold. They do still do the £30 voucher if you’re denied access or ask at a check in/customer service for one (one day I ended up with £90 in vouchers which they quickly put a stop to). If they’re busy in the GC they’re unlikely to notice but a get around is at the North lounge they have the self service machines so are even less likely to notice - I’ve only ever been denied entry in GC South and GF.

Certain managers/staff are quite firm while others could not care less less but all are right in saying technically she’s not permitted. There’s nothing immediate on the system that indicates under 18, as they always ask for my passport when they’re unsure but I’d recommend using a mobile boarding pass as I often get ‘YP-16’ printed on the paper ones.

Also worth noting the only location that has ever caused me any bother is LHR T5, anywhere else she should be fine as they won’t be BA staff (LGW and T3 have also always been ok). Remember if one lounge refuses entry to try the other one, I don’t think I’ve ever travelled when every T5 lounge has refused me and success was high before I started to be remembered.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Are we condoning under 18s being where the rules say they shouldn't?
flygirl68 and DXB2745 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Worth a try I would say. Unlike the impression that's often portrayed on here not everyone wants lounge access to get bevvied on the cheap.
cosmo74 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.