Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Someone obtained my boarding pass and got on my flight

Someone obtained my boarding pass and got on my flight

Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:27 am

Pure staff incompetence.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by stifle
There is no material chance that the OP will get any feedback on what action if any has been taken, due to GDPR with respect to the action taken against the passenger or the staff, and due more generally to it being security sensitive information.
If you look at my post, my point is not to ask for information about what has happened to the passenger after the incident but to ask for information/reassurance about what led to the incident and specifically some formal confirmation regarding whether any of the OP's information was compromised. This pertains to getting BA to assess their own system failure and formally confirming whether it involved, at any point, exposing the OP's personal data and thus incurring a risk of identity theft.

It is precisely because of data protection obligations that the OP is entitled to some reassurance regarding whether their personal data was compromised or not, the extent of the breaches that occurred, and the ensuring risk for them. BA has specific obligations with regards to personal data and sharing such personal data with an unauthorised person through the issuance of a boarding pass to someone else than the passenger including a code bar and all the information stored into it can involve a breach of those obligations.
Jimmie76, Strawb, RJD1983 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by crazy8534
But then surely the passenger would have looked at his own BP and seen it wasnt for him?
After a delayed long haul flight and perhaps having misconnected and needed to queue to rebooked, it seems within the realm of plausibility to me that the passenger was told which gate and time to go to and then handed his boarding pass, which he then stuffed away in his passport and did not have a need to refer to.

Unlikely, but plausible.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by orbitmic
If you look at my post, my point is not to ask for information about what has happened to the passenger after the incident but to ask for information/reassurance about what led to the incident and specifically some formal confirmation regarding whether any of the OP's information was compromised. This pertains to getting BA to assess their own system failure and formally confirming whether it involved, at any point, exposing the OP's personal data and thus incurring a risk of identity theft.

It is precisely because of data protection obligations that the OP is entitled to some reassurance regarding whether their personal data was compromised or not, the extent of the breaches that occurred, and the ensuring risk for them. BA has specific obligations with regards to personal data and sharing such personal data with an unauthorised person through the issuance of a boarding pass to someone else than the passenger including a code bar and all the information stored into it can involve a breach of those obligations.
Again, there is no material chance that BA will do that. They will not be exposing details of their internal procedures, how they went about investigating, etc. There will be a form letter and maybe some Avios, and that will be that.
Steve M and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Just landed at LHR. So during the meal service the cabin Manager informed me that the guy was actually OK to travel, he had missed his KLM connection to London and had been sent to Gate D31. Not sure why that is but I'm pretty sure no KLM flights use the D gates for London. Cabin Manager told me that the guy wasn't even aware his boarding pass wasn't in his own name. Somehow the system at the gate - not KLM or BA apparently - spat out a boarding pass in my name for him. I don't buy that. Judging by the incompetent look of the gate agent when the scanner beeped and informed her that I had already boarded, yet she still let me on board, me thinks the gate agents are a bit clueless and I have no idea who they are contracted to.

I need to complain about this because my personal details including my FF number were on my boarding pass and under GDPR my personal data has been clearly breached. Not only that but it is shocking that a passenger managed to board a completely different airline to that on which he was booked, bypassing security procedures along the way. What if I had missed my flight? I need to complain to BA and, if necessary, the Information Commissioner's Office.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Strawb
Just landed at LHR. So during the meal service the cabin Manager informed me that the guy was actually OK to travel, he had missed his KLM connection to London and had been sent to Gate D31. Not sure why that is but I'm pretty sure no KLM flights use the D gates for London. Cabin Manager told me that the guy wasn't even aware his boarding pass wasn't in his own name. Somehow the system at the gate - not KLM or BA apparently - spat out a boarding pass in my name for him. I don't buy that. Judging by the incompetent look of the gate agent when the scanner beeped and informed her that I had already boarded, yet she still let me on board, me thinks the gate agents are a bit clueless and I have no idea who they are contracted to.

I need to complain about this because my personal details including my FF number were on my boarding pass and under GDPR my personal data has been clearly breached. Not only that but it is shocking that a passenger managed to board a completely different airline to that on which he was booked, bypassing security procedures along the way. What if I had missed my flight? I need to complain to BA and, if necessary, the Information Commissioner's Office.
And, at the very least, even though you checked your Executive Club account and found everything to be in order, change your password anyway.
Jimmie76, Strawb, strowger and 8 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Again, there is no material chance that BA will do that. They will not be exposing details of their internal procedures, how they went about investigating, etc. There will be a form letter and maybe some Avios, and that will be that.
They have legal obligations and the data controller will know exactly what they are.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
After a delayed long haul flight and perhaps having misconnected and needed to queue to rebooked, it seems within the realm of plausibility to me that the passenger was told which gate and time to go to and then handed his boarding pass, which he then stuffed away in his passport and did not have a need to refer to.

Unlikely, but plausible.
This seems very plausible to me. I know of various family members that would just go where they were told and hand over every piece of paper they had been given to anyone who asked for anything. Not everyone flies often enough to know what to look for on a ticket. Could be the "impersonator's" first ever flight.

Doesn't excuse lack of diligence by various staff though.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm wondering why the decision was not taken to remove everyone from the aircraft, and their baggage and to rescreen? Were people asked to reconcile the baggage overhead?
Nope. He was offloaded and took his carry on with him. That was it basically.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:40 am
SP0

For the benefit of other passengers' security in the future, I would suggest you make sure this incident is seen by the airport manager, BA head of security, and airport police. At least one security failure has occurred and it should be properly investigated with responsibilities identified and improvements put in place. There will be a process to do that.
Jimmie76, Strawb, Temedar and 7 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Thanks for coming back to us all OP.

You can completely envisage a situation where someone in a strange country who perhaps doesnt speak the language is given a document by a person in authority and just accepts that it must be correct.

There is an interesting phenomenon in the UK known as the high-vis vest effect where people will simply follow the instructions of almost anyone in a yellow high-vis vest: There was an interesting case a while ago of a chap who had been taking money for car parking at a zoo in England for many years. Everybody happily paid the parking fee and he was well known by the staff of the zoo. Eventually it came time for him to retire and they had a sendoff for him and he left.

A couple of weeks later, the zoo got in touch with the council to ask whether or not they were going to send anyone to replace him. They checked their records and discovered that they didnt own the car park, and in fact, there was nobody assigned to collect any car parking fees.

The gentleman had been pocketing thousands of pounds every day for many years, and by the time they realised he was no doubt far into the sunset!
chica, jpezaris, salut0 and 12 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:56 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Thanks OP for update. I feel for the poor Ugandan guy. I absolutely never check my BP name, albeit mainly its on my phone, but can absolutely see a scenario where I was in, say, China and, having missed a connection and feeling a bit flustered, do whatever I am told.

Doesnt answer the question as to why security failed. And Ive always found the AMS gate staff to be quite officious. I guess that often doesnt relate to competence.
wrp96, PVDtoDEL, DelTroon and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm wondering why the decision was not taken to remove everyone from the aircraft, and their baggage and to rescreen? Were people asked to reconcile the baggage overhead?
I had a similar situation once with Monarch at Birmingham years ago where a passenger boarded without a boarding pass or any ID. We all had to get off the plane and claim baggage etc and wait for the dogs to come in and sniff. At least in Birmingham's case it was easy to figure out how he got through security as they always had the wide gates open for families who would get waved through.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Thanks for coming back to us all OP.

You can completely envisage a situation where someone in a strange country who perhaps doesnt speak the language is given a document by a person in authority and just accepts that it must be correct.

There is an interesting phenomenon in the UK known as the high-vis vest effect where people will simply follow the instructions of almost anyone in a yellow high-vis vest: There was an interesting case a while ago of a chap who had been taking money for car parking at a zoo in England for many years. Everybody happily paid the parking fee and he was well known by the staff of the zoo. Eventually it came time for him to retire and they had a sendoff for him and he left.

A couple of weeks later, the zoo got in touch with the council to ask whether or not they were going to send anyone to replace him. They checked their records and discovered that they didnt own the car park, and in fact, there was nobody assigned to collect any car parking fees.

The gentleman had been pocketing thousands of pounds every day for many years, and by the time they realised he was no doubt far into the sunset!
Snopes has a well researched page that sadly shows that while this is a great story, it's an urban myth: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fa...ing-attendant/
Old Feb 5, 2023, 5:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Ned1968
Snopes has a well researched page that sadly shows that while this is a great story, it's an urban myth: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fa...ing-attendant/
Disappointing!
I had my suspicions

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.