Wiki Posts
Search

Staff don't clean aircraft washrooms?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2023, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
And Cathay, and JAL.
SQ too.

Surely these crew know how to wash their hands before handling food?
Old Feb 4, 2023, 10:43 pm

Whenever flying BA in J I have wondered why the lavs were so dirty compared to other airlines. Now I finally know…
Old Feb 4, 2023, 11:19 pm

Seems entirely reasonable to expect the loos to be cleaned. What I simply don't understand however is how some passengers get them into those states... I leave them clean, ... what are those people DOING?
Old Feb 4, 2023, 11:46 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
I think the most surprising revelation of this thread is that there is no lounge available in Delhi!! What is going on there ?? 😱
nancypants and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:12 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I think as we all know, the psychology is that if something looks clean and is clean, then you are most likely to keep it clean yourself, if it looks like no one cares then what is one more "mess" going to do. Most airlines are able to keep things reasonable, and the food sanitation is just bullock's, hands and lower arms should have a thorough cleaning before and after food preparation. It is not like your chef the the 3* restaurant has never gone to the bathroom before or even during service.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by trooper
Seems entirely reasonable to expect the loos to be cleaned. What I simply don't understand however is how some passengers get them into those states... I leave them clean, ... what are those people DOING?
The truth is that there is a substantial amount of people who just don’t give a toss. I worked in Cabin Appearance as one of my first non-frontline jobs in BA, and boy oh boy what didn’t I see. Vandalised seats, crayon drawings on First Class seats (remember that velvet bit that held up stains so damn bad?), No. 2s in the washbasins, blood vomit and urine everywhere, feces smeared on carpets, somebody blew his/her nose into a curtain, some criminal leaving unsecured insuline needles, needle up, in the seat pockets.

It might’ve because I was raised to be a responsible person and not a selfish idiot, but whenever I go to the loo I clean after myself. And if I make a mess I clean after what I’ve done.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 13901
The truth is that there is a substantial amount of people who just don’t give a toss. I worked in Cabin Appearance as one of my first non-frontline jobs in BA, and boy oh boy what didn’t I see. Vandalised seats, crayon drawings on First Class seats (remember that velvet bit that held up stains so damn bad?), No. 2s in the washbasins, blood vomit and urine everywhere, feces smeared on carpets, somebody blew his/her nose into a curtain, some criminal leaving unsecured insuline needles, needle up, in the seat pockets.

It might’ve because I was raised to be a responsible person and not a selfish idiot, but whenever I go to the loo I clean after myself. And if I make a mess I clean after what I’ve done.
isn’t that true of other airlines as well tho? They seem to manage the situation better - or are BA passengers uniquely messy/dirty?
Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
isn’t that true of other airlines as well tho? They seem to manage the situation better - or are BA passengers uniquely messy/dirty?
Idiots abound everywhere, though I will argue that they tend to gravitate on certain routes, LON-LAS being one of them, or TPA/MCO from Gatters.

Speaking of other airlines, this has, I think, a lot to do with perception and subjectivity. If I cast my mind back to other airlines (and mind you I mainly fly at the back of the bus), besides the usual east Asian carriers (JL, NH, CX, KE) I don’t remember incredibly high standards of cleanliness. I do remember being positively impressed by QR in the very few occasions where I flew with them, and I don’t give them credit all too often. But by the same token I saw toilets on Emirates, pre-merger TAM, US Airways, China Eastern and Turkish that had that “Tajik border post latrine” vibe.
D1L and Gallus1 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by ppp909
The triangle thing is so gross. So you've just cleaned the toilet and now you've got your hands on the toilet roll? Of course, it would be nice to think that the cleaner removes gloves and washes hands before doing this but I imagine most don't bother.

Out of interest, why do people think this is a good thing?
Bearing in mind what the toilet paper is actually used for and where it will ultimately go, I would imagine the majority of us will wash our hands after the ‘event’ - therefore I certainly don’t see the problem with an origami inspired piece of toilet paper.

At least it does show some effort has been made to make the toilet presentable.
shefgab and ExpatExp like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 7:31 am

It would take a very brave person to tell 20,000+ BA crew that their job role now included cleaning toilets. Rightly or wrongly, other than minor cosmetic checks and restocking, this is not something that’s been part of their job.
Bearface likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by 13901
Why don't BA take action against those people who don't give a toss? I mean they have their names against the seat numbers.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Confus
It would take a very brave person to tell 20,000+ BA crew that their job role now included cleaning toilets. Rightly or wrongly, other than minor cosmetic checks and restocking, this is not something that’s been part of their job.
As the economic reset bites, many may very well wish the bathrooms they had to clean were on planes and not in the back of a chip shop.
kosy91 and Freddorick like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by chriswiles
... I was in my socks. ...
Did you board without shoes?
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by andball
I flagged the mess to the crew and was told that because they handle food, they don't/aren't allowed to clean the washrooms. I was told that no one on the plane would clean or tidy them.
I would love to know how many restaurants have a dedicated cleaning crew that never handles food? I am guessing that number is quite low. I have noticed on most of my flights since COVID, in PE and J, across a few different airlines, that even getting the paper restocked and the trash dumped halfway through a long flight seems to be a case of expecting too much. I have started hitting the call button on the way out of my restroom to at least get them to make the trip to the lav. A few times, I have returned later to the same restroom to find a roll of TP either just placed on top of the sink, or lying in a pool of pee on the floor, while the empty rolls still sit in the dispenser.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
As the economic reset bites, many may very well wish the bathrooms they had to clean were on planes and not in the back of a chip shop.
All the evidence points to the fact that holidays/flights are one thing that people are not willing to cut back on and people would rather cut back on takeaways such as the chip shop. In fact people are spending more on holidays than they were pre-pandemic.

On the subject of the toilets, I leave them in a far better state than I found them. I scrub the floors with the toilet seat wipes and then dry them with paper towels.
Bearface likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.