Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Days like this when silver is worth it (to me)

Days like this when silver is worth it (to me)

Old Feb 3, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by scottish minnie
Iíve been in the Gatwick F lounge several times and not aware of the snug - Is that the little bit which would be right behind the 2 reception desks or have I missed another part of the lounge?
Yup, sung was the only way to describe it. Back table on the food side is our favourite parking spot.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by The Geek
Yup, sung was the only way to describe it. Back table on the food side is our favourite parking spot.
it did look like a cosy corner but was full when Iíve visited so must be popular. For a moment I thought there was a secret door leading to a hideout Iíd missed!
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Silver is just for us Y travellers that do the hard miles/flights, Im sure the Golds/etc have better things to do rather than comment on us sub species of traveller..;-)

Mods, please ban Golds, CCR etc from this thread..

Monty Python ..them and us..
Old Feb 3, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Engineering Travel
Silver is just for us Y travellers that do the hard miles/flights, Im sure the Golds/etc have better things to do rather than comment on us sub species of traveller..;-)

I disagree, Silver is one QR J return to Asia and 4 x 10 TP Y flights in the 7 week period between the year end collection date and card expiry once every 2 years.
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 12:05 am

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
Benefits also for Non Silvers in your travelling Party

The other thing is I took the whole Family to Rhodes in Oct on a BAH Holiday. Mu wife & I are Silver but extended Family don't regularly travel at all on BA.

1. I am Silver and was travelling so when selecting Seats all my Party travelling got free Seat Selection.
2. Nice to take my Granddaughter into the Lounge with her BA Trunki - Grandad is a sucker and she has me wrapped around her little finger. She was a little angel walking with me to the Buffet getting her food.
3. Kids area in GC Lounge nice for them to play in.
4. CE Check in at LHR & Outstation

5. So good repeating so we will be taking friends to Toulouse later this year. More free seats and some lounge access.

The important thing is you as the Silver Member book and pay for the flights or Holiday yourself for these benefits illustrated above to be enjoyed.

Because of the above and future travel plans I am doing a Finnair tier point run to re qualify as Silver for Sep renewal...

Not sure I like the BA adoption of fare based Avios rules like IB, as I'll probably just not renew then.

Cheers
Old Feb 4, 2023, 2:03 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Engineering Travel

I was just about to say, the sweet spot is GGL (the new real Gold) or Silver.

I wouldn't bother for Gold at all, its normally the wrong crowd (check the DYKWIA thread) and not actually worth it.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by ratechaser
- Cheap as chips ET return to GVA.
- free exit row selection
- actually used my extra checked bag for once
- club check in, no queue (ok wasn't exactly busy anywhere...)
- quick trot through FT security
- full use of GC lounge - was surprised to see a full English buffet, thought that was for GF only
- tipple, tipple, tipple (& tip all the spares in my bag for later )
- on board, no one sitting next to me, plenty of room

All in all, it's experiences like this that make me see the value of maintaining silver.
Dont mention stealing

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge
Old Feb 4, 2023, 5:46 am

One thing Iíve rated is the avios bonus for flights, even bronze on the cheapest LHR-NCL ticket gives 250 avios which isnít to be sniffed at given thatís technically £400 worth of spending at sainsburys.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by jamestg
One thing I’ve rated is the avios bonus for flights, even bronze on the cheapest LHR-NCL ticket gives 250 avios which isn’t to be sniffed at given that’s technically £400 worth of spending at sainsburys.
You mean you'd have to spend base rate £400 at the shops to get 250 Avios? Not 250 Avios = £400 at Sainsbury's which it sort of reads like.
PAL62V and TarquinMontague like this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
You mean you'd have to spend base rate £400 at the shops to get 250 Avios? Not 250 Avios = £400 at Sainsbury's which it sort of reads like.
Yeah I guess ďworth of spendingĒ is ambiguous
PGberkshire likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.