Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA needs a family zone in T5 lounges

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:18 am
Original Poster

BA needs a family zone in T5 lounges

After several experiences recently of both overcrowding at T5 lounges and watching passenger behaviours, I think BA really has to start further restricting entry - and while unpopular, that surely has to include a designated lounge area or zone for families with young children.

Recent experiences include children using lounge chairs as trampolines with their shoes on (and the parents more interested in doom scrolling on their phones), sofas used as foot rests or changing areas and a family whose children managed to leave a floor area covered in food for other guests to look at - the lounge assistant dealing with the aftermath mentioned that this sort of behaviour was getting worse.

Surely BA could come up with some creative ideas to accommodate families as I suspect the lounge must be quite sterile and boring to your average child -and the free alcohol on display must be a tempting delight for teenagers. Travel can be tiring and I do feel sorry for people travelling with young children but how can BA make the lounge experience better for all?
dcmike, NoY, rbwpi and 16 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:30 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Every few months there is a discussion regarding children and their behaviour.

Now I can't comment on ALL of them, but I will repeat myself here - Adults are far worse behaved than children; and what's worse, is that an adult is (for the most part) in control of their own actions.

If you're worried about overcrowding, fortunately numbers will go down now that extensions have stopped and the reduced TP levels have been removed. One can only hope the CCR returns to normal levels too, and the original TP level re-introduced.

However for those of us who didn't need the extensions, who didn't need the TP reductions, and who join you in agreeing the lounges are overcrowded, children are not the issue.

M
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:39 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Goodness – I hadn’t even realised there wasn’t a children’s area at Heathrow and this explains ever so much about the state of the lounges during school holidays.

If the Club lounge at Gatwick can manage to have a play zone, surely one can be inserted somewhere at Heathrow – perhaps this would’ve been a better use of the old business area rather than those rather peculiar sleeping pods?
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
There’s a kids area in the LHR T5B lounge. The problem is usually bad parenting though, which I don’t think BA can easily fix!
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:57 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
There’s kids areas in T5B and Galleries North. Not sure about South.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Unless BA is capable of eliminating bad parenting with its lounge design, I don't see how a kids area is going to help.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
T5 GF has a kids areas (room). Located in the food area. Toys, Playstation, etc.

LGW GC has the same and quite a spacious one if I recall.

Also there is a larger soft play area in the main T5 terminal (near Gate A2).
dca100, SxMan and Mekko like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Really what is needed is empowering the lounge management to point out unacceptable behaviour by children and their adult minders. Also applies to adults who behave like children.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Ziz
There’s kids areas in T5B and Galleries North. Not sure about South.
GC South also has a KidsZone
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
To be fair that's a parenting issue, however something to keep the kids busy would help - the play area up by domestic A gates may still be there and I'm sure there is a cupboard like structure in the Gold lounge that's a bit naff.

That said I'd say I have more issues with those in the lounge that feel it's perfectly fine to make calls, watch movies, face time etc all on London speaker.....you spend enough money to be able to access a lounge but can't afford headphones, just ignorance really.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:20 am

They do have children’s areas. The problem is that many parents who bring their kids into a lounge don’t have any intention or desire to keep them under control or make them behave in any way appropriate to a social setting. More play areas won’t help, because the existing ones aren’t used anyway by their target audience.
YacozA, Blenheim, lloydah and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Red, HH Gold
GC South does have one (or it definitely used to, can’t check as I’m slumming it downstairs in the Aspire Lounge, courtesy of PP) but they door things on it always seem to be open whenever I’ve been near it
Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm afraid it's bad planning and/or bad manners on the part of those travelling with young children which is to blame for your predicament, not bad infrastructure. The same goes for the old trope of "kids shouldn't travel in business class" - they can, it's absolutely fine; but like most things with small children, it requires a bit of planning and for parents to do some proper parenting.

I'm not going to explain what/how we do it (other than to say it's necessary, but tiring!) but our young kids are quite often through the T5 lounges (GC or GF) and/or flying Club World, and we've never really had any incident I would have thought bothered anyone else. It's a constant and thankless task, but it's possible.

Lumping all the families together in their own "zone" for the badly behaved kids to run feral is only going to make it harder for the parents of the well behaved ones to do their job...

I do think, however, that the T5 Lounges could do with more quiet zones - not "nap" or "work" type zones necessarily, just general seating areas which would be like quiet coaches on trains i.e. no loud kids, no phone calls, no large group conversations - still find it surprising this hasn't been done. In my experience, it's the badly behaved adults are the worst...
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by msm2000uk

Adults are far worse behaved than children; and what's worse, is that an adult is (for the most part) in control of their own actions.

M
That's the standard line from parents but it's not true.

I'll go further, and point out that even pets and service animals are often under far better control than children, especially in an age where parents feel entitled to inflict their children's behavior on others as if their kids were some unalloyed good we must all accommodate.

Screaming out of control, messy, unhygienic adults are an anomaly, while it's the norm for many children. .

I've been to plenty of "adult only" gatherings that were clearly better off without the presence of children and the behaviors they often, though not always of course, exhibit.

In my opinion, if a bar is present, children should not be.

Without question I and most child-free adults would prefer an adults only lounge to one packed with children and their often oblivious parents.

The airlines should consult with Disney or the architects of indoor playgrounds and offer some colorfully themed and soundproofed space where children and their parents can enjoy the atmosphere of unlimited chicken fingers and the smell of spilled milk away from us judgmental adults who prefer a more dignified experience.

Last edited by Ghoulish; Feb 1, 2023 at 7:41 am
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:42 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
That's the standard line from parents but it's not true.

I'll go further, and point out that even pets and service animals are often under far better control than children, especially in an age where parents feel entitled to inflict their children's behavior on others as if their kids were some unalloyed good we must all accommodate.

Screaming out of control, messy, unhygienic adults are an anomaly, while it's the norm for many children. .

I've been to plenty of "adult only" gatherings that were clearly better off without the presence of children and the behaviors they often, though not always of course, exhibit.

In my opinion, if a bar is present, children should not be.

Without question I and most child-free adults would prefer an adults only lounge to one packed with children and their often oblivious parents.

The airlines should consult with Disney or the architects of indoor playgrounds and offer some colorfully themed and soundproofed space where children and their parents can enjoy the atmosphere of unlimited chicken fingers and the smell of spilled milk away from us judgmental adults who prefer a more dignified experience.
I'm not answering the issue posed by the OP as a parent. I'm answering it as a frequent flyer.

In circa 140 flights last year, adults snoring/shouting loudly/listening to content on speakerphone/ambling drunk disturbed me far more than anyone with children.

Now sure, as a human I would be more inclined to take pity on a family with a screaming child than a drunk adult, but that's just me personally.

In terms of the comment regarding pets being better behaved than children, I don't have any sort of suitable comment but I'll let someone else jump on that.

As for the desire to travel in a more dignified manner, perhaps try flying privately.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.