Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TA Booking, AA stock, Upgrade Club World to First?

Old Jan 31, 2023, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador

Hello — not very active around the BA Forum but I've an upcoming CW ticket from LAX-LHR. Ticket is part of a multi-leg itinerary ticked on AA stock and by a travel agency. I haven't yet tried the BA F product and thinking of giving it a try if the $$ is right (since the original CW ticket was expensive, I'm hopeful :-) ).

I'm wondering how do I go about inquiring for upgrades here (and if they're even available)? Should I do it with BA (operating carrier) or AA (marketing carrier)? I'd like to avoid the TA due to fees and overall complexity to deal with them, but from what I read elsewhere seems I won't have many options?

Any guidance is appreciated
Old Jan 31, 2023, 6:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
You will have to see if AA can do it as it is on their stock but there won't be any special deal for doing so, just the fare difference and possibly a change fee.
You won't be able to upgrade using avios (UUA) unfortunately, even if there is availability.
Best option is an airport upgrade (AUP) which you can ask about at check in.
Probably around $1000 if available but there is a thread with examples.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: IHG Gold, BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Silver, Accor Silver, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If you are upgrading with money more than 24 hours before departure, that has to be done with the travel agency.

At 24 hours out the ticket will come under airport control and you may (or may not) be able to upgrade at online check-in, at the airport desk, etc.
Lefly and ricardojrsousa like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
I'll have to check with travel agency then. My issue with doing it at airport is I'm doing YVR -> LAX -> LHR, so I'm not sure at YVR an AA agent would be able to quote me a LAX -> LHR upgrade on BA.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC
That'll be your issue. Don't think there's any way an AA agent will be able to process a BA AUP. Only thing I can suggest is trying at the BA counter if it's even open. Otherwise if you have a long enough layover you could go landside and check at the BA desk at LAX. But by that time, any AUPs might be gone. YOu might just end up having to slum it in Club!!
Cymro likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW I had a JFK-LHR r/t booking recently in business, all AA-marketed (on AA stock by travel agent), AA-operated on outbound and BA-operated on the return. The AA website (or app, can’t remember) offered upgrades to F on both legs ($600 each way). I didn’t try to put it through though, and I had to delay the trip for a few months (and last I checked the new itinerary is NOT offering the upgrade) :shrug:.
ricardojrsousa likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Update here for anyone looking to do the same:

I chatted with AA and was told they couldn't upgrade. Then called AA and after a *long* call they were able to process the upgrade directly (not through TA) and I ended up biting at roughly 800 bucks vs trying the luck at the airport. Since I didn't pay for the original ticket this felt like a nice splurge - and a few extra TPs ahah

In my previous experiences with other airlines I feel airlines *can* takeover bookings from TA - most just chose not to. As far as I understood from UA the last time there's even a fee to charge for that from Europe at least.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
In my previous experiences with other airlines I feel airlines *can* takeover bookings from TA - most just chose not to. As far as I understood from UA the last time there's even a fee to charge for that from Europe at least.
By doing so effectively cuts your TA out of the booking moving forward, therefor such changes is breaking the agreement the airline has with the TA. This is why most airlines revert you back to your booking agent. Its not a question of 'choosing', more contractual obligation.

Glad you got the upgrade you were looking for however but any assistance needed further down the line your agent will unlikely be able to help you. It's now between you and the airline because of the change you made with the airline directly and the ticket reissue they made for you.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
Update here for anyone looking to do the same:

I chatted with AA and was told they couldn't upgrade. Then called AA and after a *long* call they were able to process the upgrade directly (not through TA) and I ended up biting at roughly 800 bucks vs trying the luck at the airport. Since I didn't pay for the original ticket this felt like a nice splurge - and a few extra TPs ahah

Well done! I'm impressed you pulled it off. I wasn't so worried about the TA part. More surprised that AA could process the upgrade at all.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, IIRC either AA or DL (or both?) typically charge $50 to take over an agency booking. That may well have been included in the quoted upgrade price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.