Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lines that Will Not get You into the Concorde Room

Old Jan 29, 2023, 1:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Who among us (GGLs excepted) hasn't considered coming up with a "catchy" line to try out on the Dragons guarding the entrance to the CCR, in the vain hope that if you could just somehow put together the right sentence, that admittance would be granted and all would be well?

You could, of course, try this, but I wouldn't recommend it:

The purpose of this thread is to spare forum members from wasting their time on lines that provably do not work.

I'll start this off with what I tried last month, passing through LHR on the 25th of December, on a CE award ticket between LIS and GVA:

"But it's Christmas!"
Ells likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Out of sheer curiosity about human nature I look forward to reading what people confess to here.

That said, I'm afraid the only line that will get you into the CCR is a 7 figure corporate travel budget line you control, which you'd be better off taunting to BA's corporate department rather than a lounge attendant so that the former give you a Premier card.

For the rest, I'm afraid they have heard it all, over and again, and with every possible voice tone and facial expression - the honeymoons and the birthdays, the disabled older parent and the sick child, the first ever trip and the last ever one, the friends of the CEO and the unrecognisable MP, the supposed earlier clearance with some big or small BA fish who said he would arrange it and how can they not see the note it must be somewhere. They have heard all the real ones because every day, hundreds of people feel that their situation is really special, and all the invented ones because every day, hundreds of people will lie through their teeth and stop at nothing.

They have seen the pleading smiles and heard the threats, they have been offered charm and presents, and seen burgeoning anger and reproach, they have witnessed every possible good cop/bad cop combination, some awkward and some so virtuoso that they must feel like well rehearsed acts.

The only point in them is to shorten your airport wait by 5 minutes by giving you something to do for that long before being sent wherever it is you were always supposed to go to in the first place, and if you do it artistically, perhaps providing BA staff with some free entertainment and something they'll cheerfully mock together for a few days to come.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 29, 2023 at 2:15 am
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:36 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Not worth it

To be absolutely honest there are better places in the world to try and blag access to. On my few visits, Ive actually found the lounge to be pretty poor in many respects: the lavatories are disgusting and service can be mediocre. There used to be a wonderful barman who would mix any cocktail you wanted - Bozak? - but he left. The sleeping cabanas have gone. The only decent place was the meeting room but now thats disappeared as well. Personally Id much rather stick to the American Airlines first lounge over in terminal three.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:37 am

Lines or basically begging to be allowed in?
orbitmic, mikeyfly and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SxMan
Personally – I’d much rather stick to the American Airlines first lounge over in terminal three.
... which has of course been closed for nearly 3 years now. Enjoy!

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 29, 2023 at 2:57 am
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:56 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SxMan
To be absolutely honest there are better places in the world to try and blag access to. On my few visits, Ive actually found the lounge to be pretty poor in many respects: the lavatories are disgusting and service can be mediocre. There used to be a wonderful barman who would mix any cocktail you wanted - Bozak? - but he left. The sleeping cabanas have gone. The only decent place was the meeting room but now thats disappeared as well. Personally Id much rather stick to the American Airlines first lounge over in terminal three.
You mean Charlie the bartender. he went to T3 BA F lounge.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:57 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
we need to ask Speedbird Julie she has some lines to get into the CCR.....
firstlight and Kris_Chari like this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 3:28 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
As a response to this thread, as husband and wife GGLs we counter the occasional sexism of the ccr entry staff who think that mrs firstlight is my lower status guest by having her present her boarding pass first which quite often surprises them.

While im sure they hear lots of excuses sometimes the staff at entry make assumptions too!
Old Jan 29, 2023, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
As a response to this thread, as husband and wife GGLs we counter the occasional sexism of the ccr entry staff who think that mrs firstlight is my lower status guest by having her present her boarding pass first which quite often surprises them.

While im sure they hear lots of excuses sometimes the staff at entry make assumptions too!
As a (now middle aged woman, where do the years go!), I often travel without my husband and have the same happen at the entry desk and occasionally get skipped for service whilst in the lounge. I would like to think my money spends as well as anyone else, but alas, its not always to be.

As for creative lines, the couple in front of me this morning tried but its ever so far to head upstairs to the club lounge and we are already here. That did not work.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 3:57 am

Programs: BA GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
I'm already planning mine for later this year.. in September I am planning to try "Oh, has my Guest List membership expired? I'm sorry I hadn't realised... maybe just one last time?"
Old Jan 29, 2023, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC
A while back before GGL status, I was in the GF lounge and was trying to pay for an AuP for my mum. The machine wasn't working and the agent sent us to the CCR to pay. So off we went and explained the situation that we were sent over and just needed to pay and come back out. No fuss. Let us in, we paid, and straight back out we came. I wouldn't have dared to stay and risked the mortification of getting frog marched out.
BA or bust, Sealink and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 4:20 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by firstlight

I often travel on my own for work (I like to go the day before whilst most of my colleagues prefer an early start to an extra night away from family) and I have similar experience of agents deciding based on appearance that I must be in the wrong place, before looking at my boarding pass. The other gem is getting asked if my husband/partner/boss will be joining me, or the slightly more polite version: am I'm waiting for anyone else to join me today (which my male friends/colleagues tell me they rarely get asked).
Old Jan 29, 2023, 4:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
“I’ve just discovered FT Forum, so I will be GGL in no time, so I’d like to come in this time to get to know the place.”
Old Jan 29, 2023, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
While flying J and trying and failing to get an F AUP sorted due to BA IT meltdown, I was sent to CCR to try and pay the dragons let me in to go talk to customer serviced, and then when I was waiting, I asked very nicely if I could grab a glass of wine (having explained my experience of day and also nudged a DYKWIA type to be nicer to the staff), and access was granted.

Sadly AUP never cleared but i had a lovely lunch!
Old Jan 29, 2023, 4:30 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Things to say that verifiably work:

1. Hello, I am flying British Airways First class
2. Hello, I am connecting from a British Airways First class flight to another flight
3. Hello, I am not flying First class but I am a Gold Guest List member of the BAEC
4. Hello, I am not flying First class but I am a Premier member of the BAEC
5. Hello, I am being guested in by this kind lady/gentleman who has access as per the above
6. Hello, CWS is waiting for me inside and gave my name to you earlier!
7. I guested someone into GF after he asked me inside the lounge and it turned out he was on the run from security (as reported on FT!)

Things to say that verifiably dont/no longer work:

1. I just need to take a quick short cut through to Galleries First, I am in a big rush!
2. I am a social media influencer with over 5m followers
3. I am connecting from a flight in AA/CX/QR First class
4. This is the flight that will get me to GGL (Ok Ill admit it.!!)
5. I am travelling BA First next week
6. I am going to write to Willie Walsh because you are being so rude

etc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.