Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FNC - an outstation that does it properly?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond

Flying back from Funchal today and have been very pleasantly surprised by the way the operation has worked. At check in, there were two desks for CE, golds etc and the queue actually moved faster than the other. Fast track security worked, even though it got glares from non-fast track as we were just shoved in at the front of the queue. Then there was proper fast track into the gate/cage where passengers were firmly segregated by boarding group. Pity that’s not the norm.

While I’m posting, the info re the viewing terrace in the lounge database seems out of date. Now you just come through security and keep straight ahead and there are doors out to the terrace (smoking area) on the right.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Remarkable! Shows you that it can be done. Pity most BA short-haul has given up on any meaningful priority boarding.
SxMan and Swanhunter like this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I'm off to FNC on Saturday. Will compare notes when I get back next week
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
It's a pity that there is no lounge access at FNC though......
Old Jan 25, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BarelyBAGold
It’s a nice airport all the same and we have experienced orderly check-in queues on our trips out there. As for no lounge we’re quite happy to sit on the terrace with a coffee, even if it is a tad windy.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 7:32 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by Shingi
It’s a nice airport all the same and we have experienced orderly check-in queues on our trips out there. As for no lounge we’re quite happy to sit on the terrace with a coffee, even if it is a tad windy.
…. and enjoy your smoke. What could be better?
Shingi likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Haven’t been for ages but always enjoyed it, and the TAP lounge. Has the lounge gone completely or has just never been available to BA? I can’t remember if I accessed it due to CE or Priority Pass.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by r22r44bell47
Then there was proper fast track into the gate/cage where passengers were firmly segregated by boarding group.
Up until that point I'd agree its a great little airport, our last experience though... upon being divided into groups ready for boarding we were all released at the same time so it ended up being a scramble across the tarmac with half the aircraft pushing past those that were actually in group 1-3. Not sure what they hoped to achieve or what they were scared of missing out on but it was perhaps the most hectic boarding I've ever experienced, literally families with a baby in hand and a push chair in the other legging it.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
Haven’t been for ages but always enjoyed it, and the TAP lounge. Has the lounge gone completely or has just never been available to BA? I can’t remember if I accessed it due to CE or Priority Pass.
The TAP lounge was never as far as I can recall available for CE passengers. It did accept Priority Pass though, however the last time I was there it was closed due to Covid still- even for passengers flying TAP.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
The TAP lounge was never as far as I can recall available for CE passengers. It did accept Priority Pass though, however the last time I was there it was closed due to Covid still- even for passengers flying TAP.
Thanks BarelyBAGold, that must have been it - I would have used Priority Pass… that will explain why the lounge was always empty! I must pop Madeira back on my list - it has been too long so thanks everyone for the reminder!
Old Feb 7, 2023, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
From my recent trip to FNC:

No need to visit a check in desk as travelling HBO and checked in via the app. Proceeded to the fast track security and was through in under 10 minutes.

Great terrace for plane spotting!

The queue for passport control was short and efficient.

Boarding was the usual groups 1 to 3 scrum with a short walk to the aircraft and steps up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.