Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Finally and Sadly (Covid) Silver status is ending - any options?!

Finally and Sadly (Covid) Silver status is ending - any options?!

Old Jan 24, 23, 6:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 71
Finally and Sadly (Covid) Silver status is ending - any options?!

My BA Silver status was maintained during COVID (thanks BA) allowing me access to lounges (American in US) but alas it is coming to an end in April. I wasn't one of the lucky ones that could maintain status in 2022 by getting reduced tier points by end of Dec 2022 (450 points). I managed 480 points but now need 600 by April 8, 2023 to maintain. I have 8 American flght segments before then but even at 10 tier points a segment, that won't get me there. Are my only options ...4 more American segments or a flight across the pond on BA to maintain it? Thanks in advance.
Gina2003 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 6:40 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 642
Originally Posted by Gina2003 View Post
My BA Silver status was maintained during COVID (thanks BA) allowing me access to lounges (American in US) but alas it is coming to an end in April. I wasn't one of the lucky ones that could maintain status in 2022 by getting reduced tier points by end of Dec 2022 (450 points). I managed 480 points but now need 600 by April 8, 2023 to maintain. I have 8 American flght segments before then but even at 10 tier points a segment, that won't get me there. Are my only options ...4 more American segments or a flight across the pond on BA to maintain it? Thanks in advance.
Firstly whereabouts in the states are you based?

Your status will remain until 31 May

The best option is to get the 600 tier points between the 8th April and 31 May so you will get 2 years of status.

I would suggest flying in Y to the UK for 2 weeks and do 2 5 day double TP holidays in J to 80 tp destinations that will get you 320 points per trip from LHR. Options such as Sofia and Sicily are good for this.

April post Easter and May aren't school holidays in the UK so should be good bets.

This will get you the 4 BA segment's as well.
becks1 and RJD1983 like this.
Cw novice is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 6:56 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Posts: 6,790
Originally Posted by Cw novice View Post
Firstly whereabouts in the states are you based?

Your status will remain until 31 May

The best option is to get the 600 tier points between the 8th April and 31 May so you will get 2 years of status.

I would suggest flying in Y to the UK for 2 weeks and do 2 5 day double TP holidays in J to 80 tp destinations that will get you 320 points per trip from LHR. Options such as Sofia and Sicily are good for this.

April post Easter and May aren't school holidays in the UK so should be good bets.

This will get you the 4 BA segment's as well.
Seems a little extreme just for some lounge access!

I'd just invest in a Platinum Pass or similar, maybe an Amex plat if you're regular somewhere they have lounges.
Cap'n Benj is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 7:15 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by Gina2003 View Post
My BA Silver status was maintained during COVID (thanks BA) allowing me access to lounges (American in US) but alas it is coming to an end in April. I wasn't one of the lucky ones that could maintain status in 2022 by getting reduced tier points by end of Dec 2022 (450 points). I managed 480 points but now need 600 by April 8, 2023 to maintain. I have 8 American flght segments before then but even at 10 tier points a segment, that won't get me there. Are my only options ...4 more American segments or a flight across the pond on BA to maintain it? Thanks in advance.
Pretty much, or you could fly some of your upcoming trips in first. Keep in mind you need 4 BA flights too.
becks1 and Gina2003 like this.
Freddorick is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 7:15 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 312
Do you have the 4 segments already or not?
Pochama is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 8:32 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 71
Boston is my airport. Guess I need to brush up on my status expiry date as it says April 8 as i thought everything resets then. I don't understand how 600 tier points between April 8 and May 31 gets me 2 years of status. Whoa is me. Will research this more. Thanks!
Gina2003 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 9:17 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 71
I have 8 segments in US on American..Looking at my segments....(2) M for 10 each = 20. (2) N for 5 each = 10. Then (2) Q 5 each =10 and one each of I and R(biz) segments with 40/140 respectively...think that puts me at 220 tier points by end of March (700 in total towards my status). None of these are BA flights so am I still short? Thanks!
Gina2003 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 9:20 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Programs: AS 100K; BA Gold
Posts: 14,731
Originally Posted by Gina2003 View Post
Boston is my airport. Guess I need to brush up on my status expiry date as it says April 8 as i thought everything resets then. I don't understand how 600 tier points between April 8 and May 31 gets me 2 years of status. Woe is me. Will research this more. Thanks!
Your tier point collection year ends 8April. You retain your status until your card expiration, which in your case is 31May. The recommendation by the poster was to regain your status during this period while you are still Silver.
crazy8534 and Blenheim like this.
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 9:21 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 71
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
Seems a little extreme just for some lounge access!

I'd just invest in a Platinum Pass or similar, maybe an Amex plat if you're regular somewhere they have lounges.
I know - haha...do i just pay for a pass or try for status (i'm all for a challenge esp if it involves a trip somehwere)! Thanks
Gina2003 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 9:26 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK. West Sussex
Programs: BAEC. Gold
Posts: 668
Originally Posted by Gina2003 View Post
My BA Silver status was maintained during COVID (thanks BA) allowing me access to lounges (American in US) but alas it is coming to an end in April. I wasn't one of the lucky ones that could maintain status in 2022 by getting reduced tier points by end of Dec 2022 (450 points). I managed 480 points but now need 600 by April 8, 2023 to maintain. I have 8 American flght segments before then but even at 10 tier points a segment, that won't get me there. Are my only options ...4 more American segments or a flight across the pond on BA to maintain it? Thanks in advance.
Hi Gina2003

So just to clarify about the "2 years" as Silver.
Your current year end is April 8th 2023, which, should you fail to reach 600 tier points by then, will not requalify as Silver. However your card and benefits (lounge access) remain until the end of the following month (May 31st 2023), at which point you would drop to Bronze for a year and your TPs would have reset to zero on April 8th.

If you were then to get 600 tier points after 8th April 2023, it would be in a new collection year.
You would then qualify as Silver for the rest of that year and then from 8th April 2024, your new qualified Silver year would begin until 8th April 2025, (expiring 31st May 2025).

With this current collection year, you say above that you failed to achieve 450 points by 31st Dec 2022, to retain silver at the reduced threashold.
But you currently have 480 points?
If so, in this current collection year, you only require 120 points before April 8th to requalify as Silver until April 8th 2024 (May 31st 2024)?
You have 8 AA flights booked before April (80 TP), bringing you to 560 TPs, so just 40 more are required before April 2023 to regain silver until April 2024.

Then as you are aware, in amongst the 600 TPs for this year to achieve Silver, you have to have had 4 of the flights on BA metal, they can't all have been on AA.

So if you have not yet flown the 4 flights on BA, even with 600 points you will not achieve silver status.
So in that case, you are correct in requiring a flight on BA "across the pond", a return flight to Glasgow or Edinburgh and back to Boston on BA.

Cheers

Last edited by Fatdickie; Jan 24, 23 at 9:37 pm
Fatdickie is offline  
Old Jan 25, 23, 1:05 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by Gina2003 View Post
I have 8 segments in US on American..Looking at my segments....(2) M for 10 each = 20. (2) N for 5 each = 10. Then (2) Q 5 each =10 and one each of I and R(biz) segments with 40/140 respectively...think that puts me at 220 tier points by end of March (700 in total towards my status). None of these are BA flights so am I still short? Thanks!
Did you fly 4 flights on marketed and operated by BA/IB since April 8 2022?
Freddorick is offline  
Old Jan 25, 23, 3:07 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Posts: 1,642
If you already have the four segments on BA metal then three flights in Business between BOS and JFK will get you 3x 40 = 120 TP.

That should be cheaper than flying to the UK w/ hotel etc.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Duck1981 is offline  
Old Jan 25, 23, 4:40 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Posts: 4,563
deleted pending further research...
hsmall is offline  
Old Jan 25, 23, 5:38 am
  #14  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 17,700
Originally Posted by Gina2003 View Post
I know - haha...do i just pay for a pass or try for status (i'm all for a challenge esp if it involves a trip somehwere)! Thanks
I wouldn't recommend paying for Priority Pass. It's increasingly difficult to use (lounges refuse entry due to capacity limits).
HIDDY and RNdouble like this.
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Jan 25, 23, 5:42 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Posts: 6,790
Originally Posted by Gina2003 View Post
I know - haha...do i just pay for a pass or try for status (i'm all for a challenge esp if it involves a trip somehwere)! Thanks
I very much suspect a pass and being airline agnostic will provide far more flexibility on any travels, if you otherwise dont fly enough to earn status

Despite being from BOS, Ive not flown statusless on AA, so Id double checked the platinum pass provision there.

Amex plat gets you into Deltas lounges when flying with them though and would immediately double your options schedule and price wise
Cap'n Benj is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread