BA191 to Austin

Old Jan 24, 23, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

BA191 to Austin

Iím flying next Thursday to Austin, TX from LHR. Iíve just checked the seatmap on ExpertFlyer and it looks super quiet. Six in Club, five in PE and 14 in Economy.

Are the maps on ExpertFlyer reliable indicators of how busy the plane is booked?

If so Iím hoping thereís lots of time bound cargo on board and it doesnít get cancelled.

Any insight on where the ExpertFlyer map is a true reflection?
Old Jan 24, 23, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The flight will not get cancelled (well unless thereís a tech / crew issue on the day).

You need to consider loads not Seat maps, and more so the return leg.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 4:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For a long list of reasons, ExpertFlyer's seat map at this stage won't necessarily be a good guide at this point. You mentioned that you are travelling on "next Thursday". Next Thursday as in 26 January or next week Thursday 2 February? The best time to have a view as to how busy the flight will be would be around 12 hours to departure or thereafter.
Old Jan 24, 23, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
For a long list of reasons, ExpertFlyer's seat map at this stage won't necessarily be a good guide at this point. You mentioned that you are travelling on "next Thursday". Next Thursday as in 26 January or next week Thursday 2 February? The best time to have a view as to how busy the flight will be would be around 12 hours to departure or thereafter.
Iím flying next Thursday, 2 Feb. Iíll look closer to the time.
Old Jan 24, 23, 4:35 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Regardless of what load you may see at this stage, itís very unlikely BA will just cancel it due to a potential low load. I really wouldnít be at all concerned on that front. The only reason I would be checking the seat map at all may be for some strategic seat shifting.
Old Jan 24, 23, 4:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
At seven days to departure you will see Ruby status holders selecting seats. That won't be many, and mid week in February is usually a quiet time for travel anyway, but I very much doubt your service will be as empty as it is now. That said, all sales buckets are fully open at the moment. The return flight is busier in any event.
crazy8534 and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Platinum
I looked at the seat maps both days and I think OP is flying Thursday Feb 2nd as that is closest to the seats I see taken. All classes are open so the flight does seem quiet but agree it won't get cancelled - the return leg has to be considered also.

As mentioned looking at the assigned seats at this time isn't too useful because anyone Bronze, OW Ruby or lower would have to pay for seats at this time. I should know - I'm on the BA190 flying the other way tomorrow and waited to book seat one week out as a Bronze. Missing 420TP from a recent Cathay trip has stung since I also miss out on lounge access as I am flying W.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 7:49 pm

I donít understand the allure of Austin at all. I had to attend the Forrester Summit there last May and given how awful the weather was then I canít imagine what June, July, August & September are like. Itís landlocked and suffers from ungodly humidity. This is the time to go and nobodyís going.

Look at tomorrowís VS231 LHR-AUS - WIDE OPEN.

Thursdayís (Jan 26th) KL667 AMS-AUS - Even
worse than VS!

How are BA, VS, KL etc making any money flying empty planes over and slightly less empty planes back on 10-hour flights westbound and 9-hours eastbound? Do they enjoy throwing money into the fire and watching it burn?
Old Jan 24, 23, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Magnum9 View Post
I donít understand the allure of Austin at all. I had to attend the Forrester Summit there last May and given how awful the weather was then I canít imagine what June, July, August & September are like. Itís landlocked and suffers from ungodly humidity. This is the time to go and nobodyís going.

worse than VS!

How are BA, VS, KL etc making any money flying empty planes over and slightly less empty planes back on 10-hour flights westbound and 9-hours eastbound? Do they enjoy throwing money into the fire and watching it burn?
I flew on BA190 last week AUS-LHR and the seat map looked very, very empty 2 days prior to takeoff, but was probably 80% full across the cabins by the time we departed. Iím not sure if itís last minute demand or redemptions or easy place to reroute people if DFW has issues, but I was surprised how full the flight ended up being.
Old Jan 24, 23, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, MB Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Not everyone will be flying to AUS as their end destination. Some may be connecting like I will be in a few weeks.
flygirl68 and jlemon like this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 12:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
It does look like a very quiet flight though:

J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9
Old Jan 25, 23, 12:43 am

Programs: BAEC
BA wonít cancel an individual flight because of low loads but the combined posts above probably suggest this route might not last forever. Depends how much itís subsidised, though - there may be a significant contribution from local government / tourist boards etc. Hope it lasts until I fly it in May, anyway!
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 12:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Never Stansted View Post
BA wonít cancel an individual flight because of low loads but the combined posts above probably suggest this route might not last forever. Depends how much itís subsidised, though - there may be a significant contribution from local government / tourist boards etc. Hope it lasts until I fly it in May, anyway!
I flew this route 4 times last year, every flight, both outbound and inbound was busy. One was completely full and Iíd estimate the others were 80% plus.
Never Stansted likes this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 12:51 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by Magnum9 View Post

worse than VS!

The most overrated city in the US. Mainly self-anointed by those who live there.
Old Jan 25, 23, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott GFL
Originally Posted by tcdtcd View Post
The most overrated city in the US. Mainly self-anointed by those who live there.

(Snarky comment removed)
Ausscot and Trident 3B like this.

Search this Thread