BA191 to Austin

Old Jan 25, 23, 7:30 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by marmitelondoner View Post
Iím flying next Thursday, 2 Feb. Iíll look closer to the time.
And keep looking right up to flight time.

I flew AA 731to Charlotte 10 Jan.

On EF and AA my whole row in economy was empty for the month I watched, right up until I checked in on the 10th. I planned on using it as an ersatz "lie flat bed". Well, when I checked in and cleared security, and went to the T3 lounge all the seats were taken, my bed gone!

Facing almost 9 hours in economy, I went to the desk angels and was able to upgrade to J for $900 and get a real lie flat bed .

Moral of the story: what looks empty for almost a month became completely full on the day of the flight so be prepared for that possibility and do what is good for you.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 9:00 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Magnum9 View Post
I don’t understand the allure of Austin at all. I had to attend the Forrester Summit there last May and given how awful the weather was then I can’t imagine what June, July, August & September are like. It’s landlocked and suffers from ungodly humidity. This is the time to go and nobody’s going.

Look at tomorrow’s VS231 LHR-AUS - WIDE OPEN.

Thursday’s (Jan 26th) KL667 AMS-AUS - Even
worse than VS!

How are BA, VS, KL etc making any money flying empty planes over and slightly less empty planes back on 10-hour flights westbound and 9-hours eastbound? Do they enjoy throwing money into the fire and watching it burn?
What you do not know is what freight may be in the hold - that can pay for the flight and passenger fares are just a bonus as it were/
flygirl68 and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 9:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I donít understand the allure of Austin at all. I had to attend the Forrester Summit there last May and given how awful the weather was then I canít imagine what June, July, August & September are like. Itís landlocked and suffers from ungodly humidity. This is the time to go and nobodyís going.
Things are just horrible here in Austin. Best to just stay away. It gets cold in the winter, and the electric grid is not reliable. Summer has brutal heat and humidity. And the traffic... Yes, best to just stay away.

To the OP:
I've taken BA 191 and 190 several times. The least empty was in October 2021, when travelers from the US were able to leave, but most travelers from elsewhere couldn't come in. I think we had about 10 in the entire business cabin, and the FA's were very energetic (plus it was on Halloween, and they had never been in the USA for that before).
Otherwise, I agree with everyone else. While the flight might not be filled to the gills, I'd expect the load to be 70-80%. Have you looked at the return AUS-LHR flight? If BA cancels the outbound, then the inbound is also impacted.

And feel free to give me a shout if you need any ideas for things to do once here. Or check out the Texas forum (there's links in my signature).
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 12:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium (LT Silver), UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Things are just horrible here in Austin. Best to just stay away. It gets cold in the winter, and the electric grid is not reliable. Summer has brutal heat and humidity. And the traffic... Yes, best to just stay away.
Yes, please stay away from Austin. It is a horrible, terrible, no-good place.
aztimm, zanderblue, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 1:03 pm

I donít understand the allure of Austin at all. I had to attend the Forrester Summit there last May and given how awful the weather was then I canít imagine what June, July, August & September are like. Itís landlocked and suffers from ungodly humidity. This is the time to go and nobodyís going.

Look at tomorrowís VS231 LHR-AUS - WIDE OPEN.

Thursdayís (Jan 26th) KL667 AMS-AUS - Even
worse than VS!

How are BA, VS, KL etc making any money flying empty planes over and slightly less empty planes back on 10-hour flights westbound and 9-hours eastbound? Do they enjoy throwing money into the fire and watching it burn?
Agreed. I lived in AUS for 10 years, visited for 14 years before that. It is as you describe. Nothing at all redeeming about the place. It's miserable from May - Sep and it can be hotter than hell in the morning and freezing in the afternoon. Pleased to have moved from there....
Old Jan 25, 23, 1:08 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium (LT Silver), UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
It's a beautiful 55 degrees and sunny right now.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 2:32 pm

Austin is a garden spot compared to Houston.
Artpen100 and camdentown like this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Never Stansted View Post
BA won’t cancel an individual flight because of low loads but the combined posts above probably suggest this route might not last forever. Depends how much it’s subsidised, though - there may be a significant contribution from local government / tourist boards etc. Hope it lasts until I fly it in May, anyway!
The route has been around for many years now and has consistently been reported as a highly successful one for BA, especially with the cargo contribution. It began life on the 788 and has generally been flown with larger aircraft since then. I'd be surprised if it didn't last a long time. The issue now (to the extent there is an issue at all) may be that because it has been well-performing for BA for a while, the competition has moved in.
Old Jan 25, 23, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
The route has been around for many years now and has consistently been reported as a highly successful one for BA, especially with the cargo contribution. It began life on the 788 and has generally been flown with larger aircraft since then. I'd be surprised if it didn't last a long time. The issue now (to the extent there is an issue at all) may be that because it has been well-performing for BA for a while, the competition has moved in.
For an airport of its size, Austin is very well served with BA and VS operating to LHR, KL to AMS and LH to FRA. We would have even more service if the terminal space could handle it. Thanks to the rapid growth they're going to need a new midfield concourse here soon.

BA is currently flying it with a A35K but it has been on a 77W and 772 as well in the last month.
Old Jan 25, 23, 3:28 pm

Freight pays for the flight, not passengers.
Old Jan 25, 23, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Most of the comments and observations are are unrepresentative and uninformed. Sure Austin gets hot, but nothing like Houston, Dallas, or Phoenix. Flight loads to and from a lot of places are relatively light this time of year, so I would not extrapolate from some uncrowded flights in January to a poor performing year round route. There is also the issue of the ongoing problems at LHR. I know folks who have elected to not take the BA flight in order to avoid connecting there.

Most AUS-LHR and LHR-AUS flights I have been on were very full, including trips on the 747, and including a late November 2022 round trip. The least loaded flight was a January 2016 LHR-AUS flight. Probably less than half full in CW. Seven years later the route is still running daily year round.

WRT the OP's question, seat maps in BA are pretty useless until T-24. Prior to that, the only folks who have selected seats are higher level elites and those who chose to pay exorbitant seating fees.
Old Jan 25, 23, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe View Post

WRT the OP's question, seat maps in BA are pretty useless until T-24. Prior to that, the only folks who have selected seats are higher level elites and those who chose to pay exorbitant seating fees.
Agreed. I'm on BA FCO-LHR-IAH and they wanted a couple hundred dollars to pick a seat in J. I decided Mrs. WS93 and I could be separated for a few hours (worst case scenario) since were on the new Club Suites. Seat map is still showing wide open though I know flights will be full as it's the weekend after the July 4th holiday.
Old Jan 25, 23, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL miles & BA Avios, a few UA miles left, former CO Plat Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by wakesetter93 View Post
Yes, please stay away from Austin. It is a horrible, terrible, no-good place.
Well, it sure was fun back in the early 1970's when I was attending University of Texas at Austin! I think I may have actually graduated from UT....

And we are looking forward to our flights with BA later this year between AUS and LHR in the front cabin of the airplane. I just hope our flights will be on board the A350 as that is the equipment currently indicated on the BA website.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Platinum
Today's flight is roughly 2/3 full according to check-in agent. My plan of having no-one in front or beside me in WTP is up in smoke now 😀
Old Jan 26, 23, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by marmitelondoner View Post
Iím flying next Thursday to Austin, TX from LHR. Iíve just checked the seatmap on ExpertFlyer and it looks super quiet. Six in Club, five in PE and 14 in Economy.
When I flew to AUS in November, the flight was quite quiet in J flying out, but a lot busier on the flight back. J was almost full.

Austin becomes hugely busy when it's hosting SXSW, Austin City Limits or the F1, but much quieter at other times. It's not really a traditional tourist destination and despite being a modern tech hub, a lot of US companies are still not proactively doing a lot of face-to-face meetings (my friend works for Amazon in Austin and they still only go in 1 day a week) as the habit was lost after 2020 and a lot of people situated around the country.

My UK company has a US HQ in Santa Barbara, I'm over in April, tried to round up the troops for a meeting and almost no-one works at the HQ anymore. Almost not worth me bothering!

No, the flight won't be cancelled either.

Search this Thread