Avios tickets from US to Japan

Old Jan 24, 23, 11:15 pm
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 25,904
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Except they are JAL's YQ surcharges being levied on avios reward bookings, not BA's. BA doesn't add their own YQ when booking partner flights. I am not sure why this myth keeps getting perpetuated.
I think the point is that partner carriers are not required to collect the operating carrier's surcharges on partner-issued award tickets. AA does not do so on award flights operated by JL or any AA partner, except BA and IB. So if BA is not required to collect the JL carrier surcharges on award flights operated by JL, why does BA do so? And in whose pocket do you suppose those carrier surcharges end up?
1Aturnleft likes this.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 11:16 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,854
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Except they are JAL's YQ surcharges being levied on avios reward bookings, not BA's. BA doesn't add their own YQ when booking partner flights. I am not sure why this myth keeps getting perpetuated.
Refer to post #4 and post #5 for the perpetual evidence over the significant delta in charges being passed on to the passenger depending on booking method. This is what I was referring to.
1Aturnleft is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 11:21 pm
  #18  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 38,472
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post
Refer to post #4 and post #5 for the perpetual evidence over the significant delta in charges being passed on to the passenger depending on booking method. This is what I was referring to.
Indeed. Some FFPs do charge them, some don't. In some ways AA's FFP is worse value, but perhaps in this specific way it is better. It still doesn't make them "BA's surcharges" though.

And in whose pocket do you suppose those carrier surcharges end up?
JAL quite clearly.

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
I think the point is that partner carriers are not required to collect the operating carrier's surcharges on partner-issued award tickets. AA does not do so on award flights operated by JL or any AA partner, except BA and IB. So if BA is not required to collect the JL carrier surcharges on award flights operated by JL, why does BA do so?
No one said they are "required" to collect them. It is just a term of BAEC that BA do pass them on, other FFP's do not for reward bookings. Each FFP differs from each other one about how they operate. I am not sure why there would be an expectation they should all operate in the same way.

It is an interesting question though, are AA somehow "paying" JAL less at the end of the day for that F seat than BA, or are the prices the same but AA is recovering the cost in a different way across their scheme? Also take in to account, we are looking at two different currencies here with AA miles vs BA avios, are they worth the same?
etiene and Radiation Station like this.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 24, 23 at 11:29 pm
KARFA is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 11:34 pm
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 25,904
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
JAL quite clearly.
Do you have any evidence that BA in fact remits to JL the "carrier surcharges" it collects on award flights operated by JL?
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 11:35 pm
  #20  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 38,472
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Do you have any evidence that BA in fact remits to JL the "carrier surcharges" it collects on award flights operated by JL?
Oh dear. BA must be evil unless proved otherwise?
argonath likes this.
KARFA is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 11:41 pm
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 25,904
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Oh dear. BA must be evil unless proved otherwise?
No, but I'm not willing to assume that when an airline collects, on an award ticket, a surcharge that an operating carrier includes on a cash ticket, the ticketing character remits that surcharge to the operating carrier.

Edited to add: I grant you that it's conceivable that BA does remit those carrier surcharges to JL, but perhaps thereby reduces what it must otherwise "pay" JL for the reward seat. If that's the case, though, then BA is still benefitting by collecting the carrier surcharges on award tickets operated by JL, when BA has the option not to do so.

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 24, 23 at 11:56 pm
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 11:53 pm
  #22  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 38,472
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
No, but I'm not willing to assume that when an airline collects, on an award ticket, a surcharge that an operating carrier includes on a cash ticket, the ticketing character remits that surcharge to the operating carrier.
Well on that basis I suppose we cannot assume BA keep them either, and may indeed be passing them on.

Perhaps we should just describe the surcharges as "Airline surcharges which exactly match the operating carrier's surcharge on that flight, but the destination of the levied charge we cannot be sure of". Still doesn't quite get us to describing them as "BA's surcharges" I guess, but I am willing to compromise on that in future,
KARFA is offline  
Old Yesterday, 12:17 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 16
avios charge high taxes on long haul flights, you should check Aeroplan to book Ana from lax sfo to Nrt hnd
mikewei is offline  
Old Yesterday, 1:30 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: BAEC Gold, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
Posts: 1,722
The griping about a business making a business decision does get tiresome - especially as it primarily originates from residents of the worlds foremost hyper-capitalist utopia.

To the OPs question: JAL are pretty good at releasing two seats in each cabin for redemption I think. Ive flown LAX-NRT in F booked as soon as it opened, and have HND-SYD in J next month - again booked early. However, I think they open at 360 days out - giving their own fliers a few days before even BAEC fliers can get in on the action - and I also think they yank unused availability after a certain period before - as others have said - opening up available seats late on. Given that youre looking for March, youre going to have to hope for the latter.
etiene is offline  
Old Yesterday, 3:52 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 22
I booked a reward flight in J in JAL departure the end of nov.2023,Return dec 10 2023
Markus 9643 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread