Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cairo is flying Y - BA or Egypt air

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Cairo flying Y - BA or Egypt air

With BA treating Cairo like its short hop to Paris with 250ml of water and 18g of nuts. How bad is it? I flew to athens in Y and for which BA kindly loaded about 20 sandwiches and 6 bags of crisps to do both legs.

im going to CAI for work with 6 others we have to fly Y if under 7hrs and BA… should I beg to fly Egypt air and get the IFE and a meal.

Last edited by SA100; Jan 24, 2023 at 10:30 am
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Egypt air.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
How bad is it ? It’ll be like Athens x 2..

Why not give EgyptAir a go, they usually run a long haul aircraft on one rotation too. You can pay for an exit seat, there’s IFE not sure on F&B
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:09 am
Original Poster

I well go put on my best smile and hope common sense prevails. And try and get Egypt air. I can’t wait to hear about the in’s and outs of a corporate contract.😂

BA really is terrible right. I flew Singapore from SIN to Phucket about 2hrs got this great cube box with pasta and a side of cake. Plus a bar service. Anything is possible if they cared.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Our corporate travel policy is BA on long haul unless travel involves a destination BA doesn’t serve. On short haul, we are permitted to select any carrier and whatever flights best suit our schedule. So on routes where BA offers Euro Traveller and other carriers offer long haul Economy, such as AMM, IST, and CAI, we have freedom to choose. Similarly, any applicable food and beverages purchases can be expensed back.

Having done several IST trips with both BA and TK, I’ll now take BA every time. As a GCH, and not having any status with TK the travel experience in both directions is simply more streamlined. Significantly so.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:50 pm

It’s pretzels, not nuts, and on a Band 4/5 you get tend to get two bags, not one.

On a more serious note, I’ve never seen MS anywhere near as cheap as BA. Appreciate I wouldn’t be on a corporate deal, but still, if customers overall insist on choosing on price, we’ll be given cheap stuff.

Similarly, I bet SIN-HKT was priced well above the cost of a BA flight of equivalent length, most probably even if you include a Pret meal in the equation. Different markets mean different market conditions.
Dan72 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The daytime MS flight is a 789. It’s a solid experience in J but IIRC Y on any 787 is a bit ....... Maybe self cater and take an exit row on BA.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Ticket prices for LHR to CAI return in Economy class without a Saturday night stay are in the region of £700 to £900.

BA will put you in an A321neo. With Egyptair there’s a choice between a 787-9 or A321neo. The options available on this route aren’t great TBH
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by SA100
I I flew Singapore from SIN to Phucket about 2hrs got this great cube box with pasta and a side of cake. Plus a bar service. Anything is possible if they cared.
SQ have cut back on their regional infliight service quite a bit over recent years and your example shows more that the direction of travel on short flights is towards less service in return for lower costs. It's just that with compdtition from LCCs, Europe is much further ahead in that that game.

BA have moved to two (typically Airbus 321) Cairo flights a day, which is quite an incease in capacity over the 787 that most recently served the route as longhaul, which suggests more prefer the opportunty of cheaper prices. CAi-LHR flights can be below 100 pounds one way, somethung that I can't recall seeing when it was a longhaul operation.
hydro001 and Confus like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
OP should note that Egyptair is a dry airline (or certainly used to be), so no champers
Grande Annee and Duck1981 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Is BA a lot cheaper, I would have expected so due to the onboard product?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
What about RJ via AMM? Wonder if they’re competitively priced? Clearly it’s not nonstop, but it’s still OneWorld…
Old Jan 24, 2023, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
Ticket prices for LHR to CAI return in Economy class without a Saturday night stay are in the region of £700 to £900.

BA will put you in an A321neo. With Egyptair there’s a choice between a 787-9 or A321neo. The options available on this route aren’t great TBH
Would the Economy seat pitch on either of the Egypt Air aircraft types be at least a little better than the seat pitch in the Euro Traveler cabin?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Would the Economy seat pitch on either of the Egypt Air aircraft types be at least a little better than the seat pitch in the Euro Traveler cabin?
BA A321neo
seat width 17.5”
row pitch 30.1”
slimline non reclining seats + fixed headrest
BYO IFE; Wifi

MS A320neo
seat width 17.5”
row pitch 29.4”
5” recline + adjustable headrest
9” seat back IFE screen; Wifi

MS 787-9
seat width 17.1”
row pitch 30.5”
6” recline + adjustable headrest
12” seat back IFE screen; Wifi

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 24, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you and the rest of the gang are London based then I personally think direct is best. Last time we flew to CAI was when based in GLA. So went with KLM via AMS as we used miles. IIRC correctly it was a 767. I suspect it might not be now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.