Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cairo is flying Y - BA or Egypt air

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2023, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AnaTravel
I've flown to Cairo numerous times as I enjoy travelling in Africa and the ME. Today's meagre offering is far from a progression, I agree. Those looking to spend Avios points and maximise comfort should look elsewhere. Cairo was a WW route, as you state.

BA used to accommodate me in F on the LHR to CAI route. That was withdrawn and only old CW became available. Since I last booked CW in 2020 BA has changed to the current Neo offering which is unattractive for a five-hour flight. Why would a customer celebrate being forced to swap F and CW options for an uncomfortable Neo without a lie-flat seat? If demand increases, BA may think again about this route. I have the luxury of time and choice - so I can be creative when travelling in this region.
Sensible lad/lassie.
Just fly with the airline that can offer what you want.
camdentown and AnaTravel like this.

Last edited by HIDDY; Jan 28, 2023 at 8:18 pm
Old Jan 29, 2023, 3:31 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sensible lad/lassie.
Indeed so. I couldn’t care less about which aircraft. I do care about decent hours of departure and arrival. I do care that the only other choice for a direct flight is dry. I refuse to have stopovers on a direct flight when I can go non-stop unless there is a big difference in price. I want to go to,CAI this autumn and I shall watch Matrix with some interest.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by salut0

1Aturnleft AnaTravel What is a “WW route”?
I took it that @1Aturnleft was referring to a worldwide route which some people use instead of long haul.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sensible lad/lassie.
Admiral care on the gender options, lad. 😑🙂 Lassie is fine for me.

I would choose BA for this route if they change the plane type and I'm happy with the restoration of standards. I see you have been to Egypt.

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Indeed so. I couldn’t care less about which aircraft. I do care about decent hours of departure and arrival. I do care that the only other choice for a direct flight is dry. I refuse to have stopovers on a direct flight when I can go non-stop unless there is a big difference in price. I want to go to,CAI this autumn and I shall watch Matrix with some interest.
I agree with you regarding dry airlines, especially when going on a leisure trip (if there is a choice). Legroom is (sadly) never an issue for me, being 5'4. My much taller husband isn't keen on over three hours in CE. We all have different priorities and I gain tips on most threads. For example, flying back from CAI to LHR for around £103 might ease the pain of hard Neo seats with little cushioning.😐
PUCCI GALORE, HIDDY and 1Aturnleft like this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by SA100
maybe I should just go BA and embrace that BA will not load enough food for the return journey. Or the out bound flight…

the Y seat for 5hrs tho. It’s fine for a few hours. But 5🥹
You know you can pre order the food and drink you want for BA Y in advance.. yes it sometimes doesn’t get loaded so you get a refund ora Plane Food or F&M hamper will get you a near CE meal for unde £20 and ex LHR you have a Boots meal deal and Pret
Old Jan 29, 2023, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
You know you can pre order the food and drink you want for BA Y in advance.. yes it sometimes doesn’t get loaded so you get a refund ora Plane Food or F&M hamper will get you a near CE meal for unde £20 and ex LHR you have a Boots meal deal and Pret
that’d fine for out bound. What about the in-bound. I have yet to be on an inbound BA shorthaul that hasn’t had to say to many people we have run out of crisps sandwiches KitKats. As they are sold on the out bound as they only load small amounts like crazy fools.

it’s so dull and boring now. I no longer get angry. I only use ba for work as their experience is awful. And screw up the start of a holiday.

I flew first to the usa last year and they loaded about 2 roast dinners. For a full first cabin.

I’ll look forward to my 18g of nuts on the way home and a second bag to make up for my sold out sandwich/cheese selection/kerridge pie
Old Jan 29, 2023, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I remember flying MS on my first ever international flight which was to BOM via CAI in 1985

They had a brand new 767 on the route (a 707 on the BOM leg)

It was the first time I had experience proper airline catering. It was good . I also remeber the cartons of soft drinks including guava juice

In these days of low cast airlines and BA abandoning service on shorty haul Y ; I would be interested to know if some of these airlines outside Europe still offer a full catering tray on Y flights
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by allturnleft
I remember flying MS on my first ever international flight which was to BOM via CAI in 1985

They had a brand new 767 on the route (a 707 on the BOM leg)

It was the first time I had experience proper airline catering. It was good . I also remeber the cartons of soft drinks including guava juice

In these days of low cast airlines and BA abandoning service on shorty haul Y ; I would be interested to know if some of these airlines outside Europe still offer a full catering tray on Y flights
outside of Europe many airlines offer a full catering tray in Y. But in Europe, Aegean Airlines still does.
allturnleft and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SA100
that’d fine for out bound. What about the in-bound. I have yet to be on an inbound BA shorthaul that hasn’t had to say to many people we have run out of crisps sandwiches KitKats. As they are sold on the out bound as they only load small amounts like crazy fools. it’s so dull and boring now. I no longer get angry. I only use ba for work as their experience is awful. And screw up the start of a holiday. I flew first to the usa last year and they loaded about 2 roast dinners. For a full first cabin. I’ll look forward to my 18g of nuts on the way home and a second bag to make up for my sold out sandwich/cheese selection/kerridge pie
If preordered, the food for your return flight would be loaded onto the corresponding outbound flight and wouldn't be available for sale to others.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by etiene
…which is a fairly good indicator that the route doesn’t have the yield to command lie-flat equipment.
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Israel is a premium heavy route compared to Egypt
I beg to differ. My CAI-LHR next Friday has 14 rows in Club Europe. That is actually more premium seats than on the previous Dreamliner. In fact, I might argue the exact opposite, the doubling of frequency and downgrade to short-haul aircraft has more than doubled the premium capacity on the route. The only difference is that passengers, in my opinion, no longer receive a premium standard product.

That said, fares ex-CAI, especially for further afield than LHR, are a fraction of those from TLV while tickets generally have better flexibility and refund options. That I suspect, along with carrying increased connecting premium traffic via LHR, are the main reasons for deploying SH aircraft on the medium to long haul sector.

I loved the days of being FLUB'ed in a 787-10 from CAI, but while long-haul premium fares from Europe have soared, my CAI to LHR to anywhere in the USA fare has remained stable and is now roughly half of what a similar itinerary originating at LHR would cost while still allowing free stopovers and being fully changeable for peanuts. I save the last sector to CAI to fly just before starting my next ex-CAI booking, usually with a couple of days in CAI in between to enjoy the culture and food.
klaus79856 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Did the trip in Y a few weeks ago.

you know what you’re getting which is awful for 5hrs. Pre-ordered food not enough to sustain for trip. Wanted to order more food on board but nearly everything was sold out. If you didn’t pre-order you would have starved.

luckily my coworkers also hated it and will be flying via Jordan for return visits. Going direct Wasn’t worth after all for them 😁
CoweyB likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
Egyptair hands down. BA is for people who like to feel like cattle without legs.

sitting on a wooden bench is nicer! Been to Egypt twice in the last 2 years. I make sure we always fly the 777 or 787 out- and inbound. Issue is the early flight out at 09:40am or so is the big bird. The 16:40 is the leg cutting A320Neo and that plane nearly broke my legs!

Weirdly I find the 777 and 787 ok for legroom. I’m 6’3 so not the shortest. Their service is better and the terminal you arrive at is T3 which is nice and modern. Love it.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 2:31 am

Programs: Chase and American Express
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
I've flown back and forth to Cairo several times in the last year. "European business class" for 4-5 hours from CAI to FRA, MUC, CDG, LHR, etc. is absolutely terrible and to be avoided.

I switched to MS and TK for a *real* business class product. AF also flies a 777 to CAI as well. I can't sit in an uncomfortable seat for 4-5 hours.
I was on cairo to lhr on egyptair yesterday and it was great. The seats were one of the most comfortable short haul business class seats I got to use.

The plane was pretty empty so i switched from aisle seat in a 2 seater to an aisle in the middle 3 seater. Seats reclindd great, had a good amount of cushion. Fell asleep pretty quickly. Bathroom was a decent size. Much more space than polaris bathrooms on united as well.

Anyone connecting in london to the USA, beware as it takes a very long time to get there. Had a 1 hour layover cushion and barely made it 15-20 mins after boarding started despite hauling ... to make it there. Had a bit misfortune, airplane landing 10 mins late, passport control computers freezing up for 10 mins but still u gotta do a 30 min walk and funnily enough just to end up where you started. As we were unboarding i literally saw the gates below us and was like nice, for once a short connection but no those idiots make you tour the whole damn airport.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by fbcooper
Anyone connecting in london to the USA, beware as it takes a very long time to get there. Had a 1 hour layover cushion and barely made it 15-20 mins after boarding started despite hauling ... to make it there. Had a bit misfortune, airplane landing 10 mins late, passport control computers freezing up for 10 mins but still u gotta do a 30 min walk and funnily enough just to end up where you started. As we were unboarding i literally saw the gates below us and was like nice, for once a short connection but no those idiots make you tour the whole damn airport.
Not sure what happened here. You don’t need to go through passport control when transiting. And in hundreds of trips through UK border, I’ve never had the computers “freeze up”. Not sure how you would expect to get from your arrival gate straight to departure gate. There’s no exemption for people to skip security just because they notice that they’re close to the departure gate. Everyone needs to reclear security unless you’re connecting from domestic. If you think transferring at LHR is bad, wait til you try JKF, ORD, DFW or MIA. Unless you have GE/TSApre, both immigration and security will almost always be longer that LHR. And you need to go through immigration even if transferring to another country.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:56 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Prospero

Having done several IST trips with both BA and TK, I’ll now take BA every time. As a GCH, and not having any status with TK the travel experience in both directions is simply more streamlined. Significantly so.
I nearly fell off my chair when I read that. I am intrigued - do tell.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 7:10 am

Programs: Chase and American Express
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Not sure what happened here. You don’t need to go through passport control when transiting. And in hundreds of trips through UK border, I’ve never had the computers “freeze up”. Not sure how you would expect to get from your arrival gate straight to departure gate. There’s no exemption for people to skip security just because they notice that they’re close to the departure gate. Everyone needs to reclear security unless you’re connecting from domestic. If you think transferring at LHR is bad, wait til you try JKF, ORD, DFW or MIA. Unless you have GE/TSApre, both immigration and security will almost always be longer that LHR. And you need to go through immigration even if transferring to another country.
Stateside i am great with tsa/ge/clear. Wish they had a real "global" entry solution. I got the fast pass thing in germany but would be nice to have it in other countires especially tsa pre benefits of not taking off shoes, laptops and liquids. That is the most annoying thing. I was hoping it was like vienna where there was no security/passport check, just transited straight to my new gate.

Yea the freezing up was unfortunate. They had to send two new agents cuz the old agents couldnt sign in onto other computers because their login was tied up on the frozen computers. I definitely thought i was going to get stuck there for an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.