Wiki Posts
Search

Cairo is flying Y - BA or Egypt air

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:54 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Prospero
As a GCH, and not having any status with TK the travel .
Very OT, but it is then worth checking the TK forum as I think TK offers status match/challenge on pretty much continous basis.
EuropeanPete and ermis177 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
I flew LHR-CAI in November, it was a day flight both ways, arriving CAI at about 3pm. BA metal, flying Y with my kids.

App in the Air tells me it was a 321neo.

The kids sat in a three abreast with the wife, who I know is able to sleep anywhere. That was fine. I was alone across the aisle in the aisle seat.

Apart from the flight timings, I can't find anything to recommend it. As I was travelling en famille, and therefore not planning on enjoying beers, I should maybe have gone Egyptair. Had I been drinking, it would have been BoB and therefore not worth the expense.

No IFE. Standard Euro Traveller product, cabin crew running here, there and everywhere for the whole flight dealing with the huge amount of BoB business that comes with a five-hour flight which crosses lunchtime!
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:20 am

I flew LHR to CAI in CE in November and it was nothing special. In March of 2020 I flew CAI to JFK on Egyptair in economy. There wasn’t much difference except every single seat on Egyptair was filled as we had to leave due to covid.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:24 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by TPJ
Very OT, but it is then worth checking the TK forum as I think TK offers status match/challenge on pretty much continous basis.
Indeed. For the average non status passenger if they do the flight with both TK and BA (assuming the cost is pretty much the same) I doubt they will set foot on BA again for this route. TK is offering the best product in both Y and J intra Europe.
CoweyB, haroon145 and skipness1E like this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:27 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If you and the rest of the gang are London based then I personally think direct is best. Last time we flew to CAI was when based in GLA. So went with KLM via AMS as we used miles. IIRC correctly it was a 767. I suspect it might not be now.
Very good suggestion and I assume you mean BA? Anyway not sure if you actually read what the OP is asking but both flights are direct…
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Is BA a lot cheaper, I would have expected so due to the onboard product?
No - actually there isn't and the fares are not cheap. Now, for reasons of sanity and safety I would cheerfully run from Egyptair like the plague. I have flown them round trip to CAI once aboard an A300 - so this was a while ago. Those performances did. We were in Y. I will not bore you with what went on (unless I am asked as this has nothing to do with BA) - all that I can say is that I would be 100 times more at ease as a passenger were there to be an emergency aboard BA. When they occur, one tends to focus a bit less on the "hard" product. The dares for such a short flight are truly ridiculous

IN addition I refuse to fly "dry" airlines, full stop.
Can I help you, jmd and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC
I've been looking at going to CAI for a while, and the options are really not great. It's a very long time in BA Y. The Club service is fine, but it's not cheap and it's a long way to go on a CE seat. MS is more expensive, no booze, but at least they fly proper planes.

Originally Posted by salut0
What about RJ via AMM? Wonder if they’re competitively priced? Clearly it’s not nonstop, but it’s still OneWorld…
I've finally bitten the bullet to go, and am going RJ Business.

Originally Posted by Dan72
CAi-LHR flights can be below 100 pounds one way, somethung that I can't recall seeing when it was a longhaul operation.
I just searched the entire year, and you can't get a Ł200 return ticket on BA. The lowest is around Ł360, and that's not until October. Averge fare is around Ł450. MS is slightly higher.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by shefgab
I just searched the entire year, and you can't get a Ł200 return ticket on BA. The lowest is around Ł360, and that's not until October. Averge fare is around Ł450. MS is slightly higher.
Yes, but i said CAI-LHR "one way", not "each way", eg 8 November BA can be had for Ł103. That wasn't possible when it was sold as longhaul. Taxes from London push the fare up in the other direction. NB RJ is nice, but you'll be close to doubling your flight time.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:22 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Seriously, how could we forget to suggest QR via DOH?
Should be over 7hrs so OP can go J
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Seriously, how could we forget to suggest QR via DOH?
Should be over 7hrs so OP can go J
perhaps you can try and sell this to the travel team. Not big on us enjoying ourselves or give us a feeling like we might be enjoying ourselves. We should suffer for work travel is the general vibe😂 gota love the corporate bs of a travel team that never travel out the office and jealous of the people that get to go out the office.

we are in a phase where extending stays and booking our own hotels is banned for a long weekend… Suddenly meetings now take a bit longer and over a few days and now the company covers your hotel over that period and food

paid company holidays are now quite popular.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shefgab
I've been looking at going to CAI for a while, and the options are really not great. It's a very long time in BA Y. The Club service is fine, but it's not cheap and it's a long way to go on a CE seat. MS is more expensive, no booze, but at least they fly proper planes.

I've finally bitten the bullet to go, and am going RJ Business.

I mentioned RJ to the team but got alot of moans about connections… so looks like it will be a direct flight.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
No - actually there isn't and the fares are not cheap. Now, for reasons of sanity and safety I would cheerfully run from Egyptair like the plague. I have flown them round trip to CAI once aboard an A300 - so this was a while ago. Those performances did. We were in Y. I will not bore you with what went on (unless I am asked as this has nothing to do with BA) - all that I can say is that I would be 100 times more at ease as a passenger were there to be an emergency aboard BA. When they occur, one tends to focus a bit less on the "hard" product. The dares for such a short flight are truly ridiculous

IN addition I refuse to fly "dry" airlines, full stop.

Please explain further… medical emergency?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:53 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by SA100
Please explain further… medical emergency?
No an emergency landing.- or indeed an emergency in flight. I must stress that these are my feelings and my feelings only - I am merely stating that I would not feel comfortable flying them.
jmd and 81romeo like this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SA100
I mentioned RJ to the team but got alot of moans about connections…
No surprise there.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
No an emergency landing.
maybe I should just go BA and embrace that BA will not load enough food for the return journey. Or the out bound flight…

the Y seat for 5hrs tho. It’s fine for a few hours. But 5🥹

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.