Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Day in the life BA short haul crew

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by 13901
It's a lot worse, having seen the roster of a friend in Etihad. Longer hours and a lot of 2-3AM starts. Seeing how knackered my OH can be on a 6-day SH duty I just can't imagine how it might be for those ME3 crews.
My Ex other half is still an EK FA and says its tough but manageable. QR must be significantly worse.

For flight crew both companies seem to be tough, and at EK especially bad for the 777 jockeys who are practically maxed to the limit.

Plus as you mentioned an overwhelmingly large number of 3am departures i.e. 1am duty starts.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Saladman
Gatwick fleet are the exception here, with only one plane and all Longhaul.
Before Covid the Gatwick cabin crews flew long haul and short haul. However with the creation of BA Euroflyer they now only fly long haul and the Euroflyer crews point to point short haul.

In my non expert opinion this can affect crew retention with hardly any opportunities for Euroflyer cabin crews to spend layovers somewhere new. I know some prefer that because they can be home most nights with families. They also can have part time and more seasonal contracts. However it puts others off.

The exceptions are Gatwick domestic which are LHR crew based.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
Before Covid the Gatwick cabin crews flew long haul and short haul. However with the creation of BA Euroflyer they now only fly long haul and the Euroflyer crews point to point short haul.

In my non expert opinion this can affect crew retention with hardly any opportunities for Euroflyer cabin crews to spend layovers somewhere new. I know some prefer that because they can be home most nights with families. They also can have part time and more seasonal contracts. However it puts others off.

The exceptions are Gatwick domestic which are LHR crew based.
Presumably such LGW domestics involve the LHR crew getting taxied/bussed down to LGW? Must be quite inefficient, a max of 2/3 sectors a day I imagine?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No, LHR crews operate up GLA and then to LGW and then back up to GLA and back to LHR, it’s called a W pattern.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
On my flight to GIB yesterday, only seven rows of CE, but surprised to have six crew on board. A320, can’t ever recall having so many on board?
Old Mar 25, 2023, 5:50 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
On my flight to GIB yesterday, only seven rows of CE, but surprised to have six crew on board. A320, can’t ever recall having so many on board?
Perhaps some of them were being trained or supervised?
Old Mar 25, 2023, 5:51 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Potentially training new crew.

BCN, SOF, BUD, and a few other destinations tend to get brand new crew.

M
Old Mar 25, 2023, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Or the return flight may have been very busy.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If anyone's interested - again yesterday on the return - six crew members. Sat in Y and it was obvious this was for training reasons. Nothing exciting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.