Day in the life BA short haul crew

Old Jan 24, 23, 8:51 pm

Can't speak for BA, but I know plenty of CZ crews that isn't even based in KWE operate KWE-CAN-KWE-SZX-KEW a day, 4 flights, leaving KWE just after sunrise, arriving back at KWE around midnight.
Old Jan 25, 23, 2:06 am

The legal duty rig was posted above, and that does not include any industrial limits which may well be more restrictive. Other countries have different duty rigs - EASA unified the duty rig across European states but there are other, far worse duty schemes. The EASA duty rig was worse than CAP 371 which preceded it in the UK. European legislators threw out scientific evidence and went for commercial justification for the duty rig - too much pressure/ money from the airlines for them to ignore.
Old Jan 25, 23, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Waterhorse View Post
The legal duty rig was posted above, and that does not include any industrial limits which may well be more restrictive. Other countries have different duty rigs - EASA unified the duty rig across European states but there are other, far worse duty schemes. The EASA duty rig was worse than CAP 371 which preceded it in the UK. European legislators threw out scientific evidence and went for commercial justification for the duty rig - too much pressure/ money from the airlines for them to ignore.
I would be keen to see UAE/ Qatari duty rig....
Old Jan 25, 23, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
How does the ''day in the life of BA short haul crew'' today, compare to the the day of old?
Doesn't give the details (apart from the SFO down route time being 4(!) days) but this video from, at a guess, 2000 or so gives a day in the life of short haul crew. Having a language speaker on a short haul flight is definitely a blast from the past!

HIDDY likes this.

Last edited by sigma421; Jan 25, 23 at 3:49 am
Old Jan 25, 23, 3:48 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
How does the ''day in the life of BA short haul crew'' today, compare to the the day of old?
I can only speak for BCAL. We went to destination and return. Occasionally we’d night stop domestically on the end of a return trip but that was the exception rather than the rule. Towards the end I was a Long Haul Hannah and didn’t get rostered so much on the European flights. May I also add that we used to have wonderful lay overs. We’d arrive in LAX and return from ATL on one roster.

It was a different world. However this I will say. It is wonderful that people here consider the lives and work trials of others, however this is the life. At recruitment the applicants are told ”the job is not difficult but it is hard on you”. Since the huge changes and there being only one sleep, there is nobody (as the roster has shown) who flies just long haul, or just short haul. They fly everything. The hardest part that did not affect shorthaul what time changes and climate changes.

I think that, for a number of reasons, particularly in view of the travelling public today, the lives of those who fly for BA are much tougher than we had
Old Jan 25, 23, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Either the OP has got the facts wrong or the crew were fibbing but you cannot do 4 sectors including a Prague flight.
Cityflyer crew can. Currently some flights are paired with AMS or RTM and in the past I've done it as part of a four sector day with EDI or FRA.

Generally Cityflyer crew stay with the same set of crew for their whole trip and aircraft changes are rare. The majority of turnarounds are scheduled at 35 minutes.
Old Jan 25, 23, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by sigma421 View Post
Doesn't give the details (apart from the SFO down route time being 4(!) days)
Forgive me as I havent watched the video, but a lot of crew will refer to trip length by the number of days it takes up. So an LHR/LAX rotation is only two nights away but is actually referred to as a 4 day trip.

Of course, if the video specifically said down route, then ignore this post.
Old Jan 25, 23, 4:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG T
Originally Posted by Ian429 View Post
We do have trips where we stay on the same aircraft but we mostly get off and pick up another aircraft.

Flight crew do change but again there are trips where we may stay together for at least part of the trip.
Originally Posted by EJetter View Post
Generally Cityflyer crew stay with the same set of crew for their whole trip and aircraft changes are rare..
The concept to change aircraft and crews after each trip, once reaching the homebase, is something I think only BA does. As mentioned, Citiflyer doesnt and neither do other airlines of the IAG or other airline groups. I wonder what is the advantage.

To me, it seems that such changes are a source of delay and potentially even irrops. A plane with the crew operating on it can be delayed, but with concept of Citiflyer and others, this only affects future trips of this plane and crew. Other planes and crews can continue as planned. On BA, I experienced various times that part of the crew were missing because of delays, or that the crew was there but not the plane. I got the impression that it helps to spread delays
Old Jan 25, 23, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, Le Club Accor Hotels Silver
Originally Posted by bd95 View Post
This is something the BHD regulars will have noticed. In the past when BD had a base in BHD, half the rotations were run as a BHD shuttle and half as LHR based shuttle. Now it’s obvious that the crew operating a flight around lunchtime leave and form the early morning departure next day, while a “new” crew take up that aircraft back to LHR. One would assume there are 2 or 3 nightstopping crews in Belfast at any time. While hotels in Belfast are cheap there comes the point when one wonders when it would become economical to set up a base again, especially as some local crew commute to LHR or LGW.
Unfortunately, that will probably never happen again. 2 years on from Heathrow Cabin Crew (the merge of the three fleets) and they are still tinkering about and implementing things that were agreed with the union, and the plan doesn’t include opening/reopening any new bases.

The only 2 mainline services that night stop in Belfast are the lunchtime flight from LHR as that crew will operate the early flight the next morning and the last flight that arrives into Belfast as that crew will operate the 3pm flight back to Heathrow. On average both flights are operated by an A320 so 2 sets of flight crew and 2 sets of cabin crew. At the minute we are operating the Aer Lingus wet lease so add another 1 set of flight crew and 1 set cabin crew for hotels. Cityflyer also overnight in Belfast but its only 1 crew as they operate the early flight back to LCY. I am not sure what time they arrive in Belfast. That adds a further 1 set of flight crew and 1 set of cabin crew for hotel rooms. From April the number of rooms will decrease as the Aer Lingus wet lease ends.

BHD is probably an average station on the short haul network for rooms needs inline with GLA/EDI/BER etc and compared to Singapore/New York/Cape Town/Joburg its a tiny station for hotel rooms.

The EI trip is a 4-day trip with 3 nights in Belfast. As a Belfast commuter I was delighted to see this trip on my roster for February as I will be able to go home every night. The crew operating the EI flights are on the following rotation:
Day 1 LHR-BHD (afternoon flight)
Day 2 BHD-LHR-BHD (first flight out and the return at 11am)
Day 3 BHD-LHR-BHD (Same as day 2)
Day 4 BHD-LHR-BHD-LHR (finish around 3pm)

Last edited by bhdcommuter; Jan 25, 23 at 5:14 am
Old Jan 25, 23, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
I would be keen to see UAE/ Qatari duty rig....
It's a lot worse, having seen the roster of a friend in Etihad. Longer hours and a lot of 2-3AM starts. Seeing how knackered my OH can be on a 6-day SH duty I just can't imagine how it might be for those ME3 crews.
Old Jan 25, 23, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Are there only certain stations where crew night stop? Or does it just depend on how the schedule falls?
Old Jan 25, 23, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by EJetter View Post
Cityflyer crew can. Currently some flights are paired with AMS or RTM and in the past I've done it as part of a four sector day with EDI or FRA.

Generally Cityflyer crew stay with the same set of crew for their whole trip and aircraft changes are rare. The majority of turnarounds are scheduled at 35 minutes.
I believe 4 sectors can be done by LHR crew is they are short domestics or places like CDG and AMS?
Old Jan 25, 23, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by BWBriscoe View Post
Are there only certain stations where crew night stop? Or does it just depend on how the schedule falls?
Depends on the schedule.
Old Jan 25, 23, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
I believe 4 sectors can be done by LHR crew is they are short domestics or places like CDG and AMS?
Yes thats correct. Mrs Salad has done a few four sector days. Hard work apparently. I dont think they can do more than one four sector day in a row though.

On the flip side they get the occasional stand over - flight out to XXX, two nights there with a day off between and then flight home on the third morning. Slightly less hard work.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post

Since the huge changes and there being only one sleep, there is nobody (as the roster has shown) who flies just long haul, or just short haul. They fly everything. The hardest part that did not affect shorthaul what time changes and climate changes.
Gatwick fleet are the exception here, with only one plane and all Longhaul.
mikeyfly likes this.

Search this Thread