Day in the life BA short haul crew

Old Jan 24, 23, 1:02 pm

The rosters above show its not an easy job, add to the sign on requirements and prehaps commuting and its potentially a very long and active day always needing to be "on" as your part of a small team dealing with many pax(not all as nice as those of us here on FT!)

Compared to those fortunate to work from home most days, lie in and get ready for their first Teams/Skype meeting minutes before its due to start.
Old Jan 24, 23, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by DC Mike View Post
Random question prompted by the catering discussion earlier on:

Since short-haul catering is done at LHR/LGW not at the out-station, do flight attendants ration meals for each segment. For example, if 20 chicken meals are loaded at LHR, would the crew only serve up to 10 on the outbound and hold 10 for the inbound? Or if more than 10 passengers want chicken on the outbound, can they all have it?
No, the outbound meals are allocated in one trolley to the booked figure of the outbound flight in an ambient stowage and the inbound meals are catered in another trolley to the booked figure of the inbound flight and stowed in a chilled stowage to be swapped only only on the inbound flight.

Everything else however needs to be rationed accordingly e.g. tea bags glasses mugs nuts etc.
DC Mike and adrianlondon like this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tryhard View Post
I was chatting with the inflight lead while waiting to disembark today. She said that her flights today were LHR to NCL and return, and LHR to MAN and back. That was it for the day.
That in itself although 4 short sectors, is a good 12.5 hours day and close to allowable duty time due to turn around times, report times etc. Between coming back to LHR and setting off again, crew need a minimum of just over 2 hours at LHR before they can depart on the next sector to re brief prep aircraft and have an uniterruptes refreshment break.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 2:00 pm

Also worth adding that theres a fair bit of chopping and changing of crews even if some are staying together. For example, an A321 outbound might have 5 crew, 4 of whom come back on next lunchtimes A320. The extra might operate with them, might position home, or might be rostered to wait for the next flight, if the reverse is planned to occur.
13901 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: IHG Gold, BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Silver, Accor Silver, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by DC Mike View Post
Random question prompted by the catering discussion earlier on:

Since short-haul catering is done at LHR/LGW not at the out-station, do flight attendants ration meals for each segment. For example, if 20 chicken meals are loaded at LHR, would the crew only serve up to 10 on the outbound and hold 10 for the inbound? Or if more than 10 passengers want chicken on the outbound, can they all have it?
Most of the time it'll be a different meal outbound and inbound anyway, "appropriate to the time of day" and all that.
Old Jan 24, 23, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by BWBriscoe View Post
Got back from Prague a week or so ago and was chatting to the crew...they said it was their fourth flight of the day.

Got me wondering...how many sectors do SH crew do on average in a day (I realise it depends on sector length)? Do they stay on the same aircraft for the entire day or do they move from one to the other and do the same flight and cabin crew stay together?

Also, slightly off my own topic, but do SH inbound flights (heading back to LHR) get catered at the destination or does everything get loaded for the out and back at LHR?
Either the OP has got the facts wrong or the crew were fibbing but you cannot do 4 sectors including a Prague flight.
Old Jan 24, 23, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
I think on BACF one crew does EDI-LCY-AGP-LCY-EDI.....thats a long day!
Old Jan 24, 23, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Either the OP has got the facts wrong or the crew were fibbing but you cannot do 4 sectors including a Prague flight.
Out of interest is that a hard no or just that it wouldnt be rostered (but could happen on standby/IRROPS?)
Old Jan 24, 23, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It’s a hard no it wouldn’t be rostered and due to hours impossible even off schedule.
Old Jan 24, 23, 4:12 pm
AL

Programs: VS Gold, BA Gold, United Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Gold Elite
I spotted something I hadn't before at MAN the other day - crew in the Escape lounge, probably due to a 2h15m delay on MAN LHR.
T5 has the Crew Reception Centre; what do the outposts have? Anything similar?
I suppose, what I'm asking is, where do the crew go at the outposts between flights?

LH is straightforward, it seems - arrive in time, and usually just in time.
But SH with quick turnaround means they must stay airside - right?
Old Jan 24, 23, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Thinking back, they told me it was their fourth flight...I assumed it was "of the day"
Old Jan 24, 23, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does the ''day in the life of BA short haul crew'' today, compare to the the day of old?
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 8:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by AL View Post
I spotted something I hadn't before at MAN the other day - crew in the Escape lounge, probably due to a 2h15m delay on MAN LHR.
T5 has the Crew Reception Centre; what do the outposts have? Anything similar?
I suppose, what I'm asking is, where do the crew go at the outposts between flights?

LH is straightforward, it seems - arrive in time, and usually just in time.
But SH with quick turnaround means they must stay airside - right?
Well between flights away from London they either stay on the plane or go to a hotel for the night (or two).
Old Jan 24, 23, 8:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by flarmip View Post

The minimum rest period during a turnround is 12 hours, or the duration of the previous duty if that was more than 12 hours long.

So as corporate-wage-slave has alluded to, if an aircraft is stationed somewhere overnight for less than 13.5-ish hours, it cannot be flown back by the same crew that took it there. That does lead to a degree of inefficiency in the flight duties, but evidently it's worth the additional custom that having a late departure or early arrival brings.
This is something the BHD regulars will have noticed. In the past when BD had a base in BHD, half the rotations were run as a BHD shuttle and half as LHR based shuttle. Now its obvious that the crew operating a flight around lunchtime leave and form the early morning departure next day, while a new crew take up that aircraft back to LHR. One would assume there are 2 or 3 nightstopping crews in Belfast at any time. While hotels in Belfast are cheap there comes the point when one wonders when it would become economical to set up a base again, especially as some local crew commute to LHR or LGW.
Old Jan 24, 23, 8:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
And during the limited time at which BA was operating the EI LHR/BHD/LHR rotations, from time to time there were 4 separate BA crews nightstopping in BHD - and that's separate from the LCY BA CityFlyer crew who generally don't nightstop at BHD but do, from time to time, get stranded at BHD because fog prevents immediate return to LCY.

Search this Thread