Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Surely this doesn’t work {Twitter user posing as BA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass

So I’ve recently seen a fake BA profile reply to people yelling at BA about cancellations on Twitter. See: https://twitter.com/aqib19930

Here’s what’s interesting about “Aqib” versus other such scammers:

1. He’s set up a number for calls, rather than scanning over DM.
2. He’s attempting to imitate at the very least both Emirates AND BA from one page.
3. He didn’t bother to set up a new account or use a name like “BA_Cust_Serv”

I’ve pinged him on WhatsApp and will update with any information I acquire.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Fake twitter accounts have existed for years. Some of them are quite funny, others just annoying.

He could have paid $8 and get a blue tick
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by wutlol
I’ve pinged him on WhatsApp and will update with any information I acquire.
Why wouldn't you just report them to Twitter and steer well clear? Why the need to interact with a scammer on Whatsapp for the good of Flyertalkers?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
In my experience, reporting these to Twitter doesn't seem to do anything. I once tweeted a company that I later realised never responds (or responds but doesn't help), and every tweet to them gets answered by up to 10 of these scammers trying to fill the void by offering to help you if you DM them (and then scamming you if you take the bait). I reported a few of the ones that replied to me but days later they were still there actively responding to others.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Why wouldn't you just report them to Twitter and steer well clear? Why the need to interact with a scammer on Whatsapp for the good of Flyertalkers?
I can do both easily. I have numerous “burner” phones with unused phone numbers I use for software testing.

I am mainly interested if these scams are just fake travel agents or if they have a more nefarious and complex agenda.

I think informing people about the latest scam thread can’t hurt. An oz of prevention and all of that; further, we can’t assume every BA flyer, or flyer in general, is as sophisticated a traveler as, say, KARFA. If even one potentially scammed person is avoided that fate, posting this has been worth my time.
WillTravel4Food likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
OP, please update this as you find out more. I for one love good scammer stories - especially those where the scammer ends up wasting time and gets annoyed.
mrow, Fly2Connect, atcer28 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
"Experience the best in service and comfort with British Airways" - now who's gonna fall for that?
AL and Delboy65 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.