Search

BA1321 [NCL-LHR] - CE Breakfast

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Question BA1321 [NCL-LHR] - CE Breakfast

Evening,

I flew down to Heathrow this morning on the first flight of the day from Newcastle on a rather full A321. There were 24 of us in Club Europe - a full six rows. Unfortunately, we weren’t served the usual breakfast on the short hop down. I assume this is because it would’ve been impractical to try and serve all of us within the short amount of time on the flight, but I wondered if anyone else has experienced this before? Drinks orders were taken and we were all given a pack of gram flour and parsley flavoured nuts. Bit of an odd snack for breakfast, seen as though economy looked to have been given a nutri-grain bar…

Of course none of this is the end of the world, I’m just intrigued to know whether this happens very often. Fortunately I had some food in the lounge beforehand, so I wasn’t wasting away by the time I stepped off the plane (two hours after landing - eek!).

RLP
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
6 rows isn't much for an A321 (pretty sure they can go back to 14) although I appreciate it is a short flight.
Have seen them manage it with far more from EDI.
Did you manage to ask for an explanation?

Also welcome to Flyertalk please stick around!
Sealink and roblikesplanes like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT.

No certainly not usual. I did read a report on here that some flights were not catered due to the disruption yesterday (I think it was BHD) so certainly the same may apply. Didn’t the cabin crew say anything? You would normally get a cooked breakfast on that route. I am surprised there were no regulars onboard that asked even if the crew didn’t say anything. Definitely worth submitting a complaint about on BA.com.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'd echo the above; this seems off.

I've seen a 12 row CE cabin to MAN served with meals and two rounds of drinks in what is pretty much 25-30 minutes in the air. Not hot meals, I concede, but just in terms of number, it's impressive. So this seems perhaps more a case of it wasn't loaded or someone didn't fancy it - though given the disruption yesterday I'd expect loading would be the issue. But if the former is what happened, an explanation would have been expected.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
6 rows for a 50 minute sector is well within range of BA- something has gone wrong. I would have expected at least an explanation. And a Nutrigrain bar would have made more sense than nuts.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Gold and IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by roblikesplanes
Evening,

I flew down to Heathrow this morning on the first flight of the day from Newcastle on a rather full A321. There were 24 of us in Club Europe - a full six rows. Unfortunately, we weren’t served the usual breakfast on the short hop down. I assume this is because it would’ve been impractical to try and serve all of us within the short amount of time on the flight, but I wondered if anyone else has experienced this before? Drinks orders were taken and we were all given a pack of gram flour and parsley flavoured nuts. Bit of an odd snack for breakfast, seen as though economy looked to have been given a nutri-grain bar…

Of course none of this is the end of the world, I’m just intrigued to know whether this happens very often. Fortunately I had some food in the lounge beforehand, so I wasn’t wasting away by the time I stepped off the plane (two hours after landing - eek!).

RLP
I do that route fairly regularly and I've seen more than 6 rows served a full breakfast, so imagine it's down to a catering issue.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'd put a complaint in, at best they'll give you some Avios, at worst you'll get to enjoy their cut and paste response
Sealink, SxMan and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC
I have marvelled at accounts of full breakfasts on very short flights when on longer flights the crew wouldn’t even have got out of the galley in that time.
Nevertheless it is advertised and it is what crews routinely achieve. I suspect it wasn’t loaded but they should have said so. You are no doubt due some Avios for a reduced service. Let us know what the response is.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 6:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Is the flight catered in London the night before? Wondering if due to delays etc there was some issue catering the aircraft for the return the next morning.
Was there no information/excuses from the crew regarding the lack of catering?
Given a recent thread where a steerage passenger was given 15,000 avios for no pretzel snack being available, by comparison, no CE breakfast must be worth enough avios for a round the world trip!
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
It’s not that long ago they used to offer a fry up to all pax on EDI/GLA.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by ENTP
And Manchester !
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:08 am

The current Club catering on domestic services is a waste of time. A well stocked bar and a good quality snack is achievable but I never see the point of offering a tray, drinks and tea and coffee on such quick hops. I don’t really buy the argument that passengers on business may otherwise starve, either, as most make a point of going to the lounge.

On a Manchester run the crew really struggled to serve half the full Club cabin before we were well into our descent. They offered sincere apologies as they were taking trays away from passengers who were trying to eat as quickly as they could.

There is more time to offer a tray on flights to Scotland but overall I can’t see the point of the current service on domestic services apart from the drinks trolley.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ENTP

As I well remember, this was in fact the result of competitive pressure brought about by the new Scottish services operated by British Midland, who began stealing customers from BA, by offering a stronger product proposition.

For some time BA’s line had (in essence) been that we’d love to serve you a full breakfast but there just isn’t enough time on such short sectors - until, that is BM decided to do exactly that.

A little bit of history here (including the Battle of the Breakfasts, as the Press dubbed it back in the day. )

https://londonairtravel.com/2022/04/...18-april-2022/
VSLover, Sealink and DelTroon like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by subject2load
As I well remember, this was in fact the result of competitive pressure brought about by the new Scottish services operated by British Midland, who began stealing customers from BA, by offering a stronger product proposition.

For some time BA’s line had (in essence) been that we’d love to serve you a full breakfast but there just isn’t enough time on such short sectors - until, that is BM decided to do exactly that.

A little bit of history here (including the Battle of the Breakfasts, as the Press dubbed it back in the day. )

https://londonairtravel.com/2022/04/...18-april-2022/
Pretty sure BEA served me a fry-up well before BM appeared on the GLA route.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Door5L
The current Club catering on domestic services is a waste of time. A well stocked bar and a good quality snack is achievable but I never see the point of offering a tray, drinks and tea and coffee on such quick hops. I don’t really buy the argument that passengers on business may otherwise starve, either, as most make a point of going to the lounge.

On a Manchester run the crew really struggled to serve half the full Club cabin before we were well into our descent. They offered sincere apologies as they were taking trays away from passengers who were trying to eat as quickly as they could.

There is more time to offer a tray on flights to Scotland but overall I can’t see the point of the current service on domestic services apart from the drinks trolley.
Sounds like you had a crap crew. It is perfectly possible to do the service on a MAN flight. The answer isn't to reduce the service it just because some aren't up to speed yet.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 24, 2023 at 10:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.