Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2 seats, same person on same flight (different cabins)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

i booked an economy LHR-MAD roundtrip fare on ba.com
LHR-MAD is with BA
MAD-LHR is with Iberia.

I found out after i booked that Iberia's flight is on a wide-body so want to fly business (on MAD-LHR only).
Upgrading the incoming flight only with cash is a rip off (over £300).
Apparently not possible to upgrade with Avios as you can only upgrade the next cabin up (which would be Premium Economy).

So i checked how much a new one-way business class redemption ticket and it's only 15,000 Avios + £25.
So if I go ahead and book this, will i have problem checking-in/boarding?

I'll have the MAD-LHR seat in economy as part of my roundtrip booking.
And now a new MAD-LHR seat in business as part of my Avios one-way booking.

Is this okay?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You most likely would have problems with it if you remained with two seats on the flight when you got to check in.

So what I think you should do is once you fly the LHR-MAD cancel the rest of the booking which should solve the issue. How long have you got between the two flights?
sadiqhassan, orbitmic and SxMan like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
You most likely would have problems with it if you remained with two seats on the flight when you got to check in.

So what I think you should do is once you fly the LHR-MAD cancel the rest of the booking which should solve the issue. How long have you got between the two flights?
2 weeks between the 2 flights.

So you're saying I should go ahead and book my one-way business redemption flight.
then after I have flown my LHR-MAD, cancel the rest of the economy ticket, leaving only my business booking valid.
Is that right?
seems like a smart solution
Anonba likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes. And maybe you’ll get a tiny amount of money back for taxes on the cancelled Y flight
KARFA, Anonba, SxMan and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
If you don't mind holding out, you might get an upgrade offer at OLCI for the IB leg. They are usually only about 50 Euro or so.

I wouldn't buy a whole new ticket just to experience IB business class on a 2 hour flight.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
If you don't mind holding out, you might get an upgrade offer at OLCI for the IB leg. They are usually only about 50 Euro or so.

I wouldn't buy a whole new ticket just to experience IB business class on a 2 hour flight.
would still prefer 15k avios + £25 over 50 Euros.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:57 am
Original Poster

I've just realised that there is no option to book premium economy on this flight.
although the a350-900 has a PE cabin, Iberia are leaving it empty for this flight.

so the BA agent on the phone was wrong to say i cant upgrade the original booking to business, claiming its not the next cabin up.
It appears it is.

guess ill be calling them back again...
mnhusker likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tarman121
Apparently not possible to upgrade with Avios as you can only upgrade the next cabin up (which would be Premium Economy).
Even though there are premium economy seats on the plane, they are not sold as such.

You can either use your status to select one (or maybe even pay, with no status), or you can upgrade one cabin into Business, with actual lie-flat seats, if your ticket allows it.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
so the BA agent on the phone was wrong to say i cant upgrade the original booking to business, claiming its not the next cabin up.
It appears it is.

guess ill be calling them back again...
But they might have correctly said you couldn't upgrade the ticket at all with Avios - that would depend on what fare code your original booking is in.
irishguy28 and Cymro like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
IIRC a few months ago IB were flying one of their newly delivered aircraft on the LHR route without the business seats fitted, meaning you would get an Y+ seat instead or worse. Also the Level aircraft pops up now and again. You may wish to check the seatmap before you book.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 11:11 am

Bear in mind to upgrade with avios your booking needs to have been made on a BA 125-... ticket, and for IB flights you can only do it if your flight is in the following selling classes - W, E, T, Y, B and H.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Bear in mind to upgrade with avios your booking needs to have been made on a BA 125-... ticket, and for IB flights you can only do it if your flight is in the following selling classes - W, E, T, Y, B and H.
DELETE
Old Jan 20, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
2 weeks between the 2 flights.

So you're saying I should go ahead and book my one-way business redemption flight.
then after I have flown my LHR-MAD, cancel the rest of the economy ticket, leaving only my business booking valid.
Is that right?
seems like a smart solution
You'll get flagged for double booking if you have two active reservations for the same flight. Be careful if you go down this path - you might find one reservation cancelled for you, and not necessarily the one you're hoping for.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
You'll get flagged for double booking if you have two active reservations for the same flight. Be careful if you go down this path - you might find one reservation cancelled for you, and not necessarily the one you're hoping for.
I have had multiple bookings on the same flight many times and it’s never happened.

I think the only situation where ba does this is for TA bookings to try and deal with an issue they don’t like when corporate TAs make multiple bookings.

realistically the only problem for the OP would happen if they still had two live bookings when OLCI opens up.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 1:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I have a couple of these bookings - as I try to figure out what time I will leave work and so make double or triple bookings from LHR-EDI. I do this regularly and cancel the inappropriate booking as and when I realise what time work will finish. I am not sure this risk is an actuality.

Regards

aks120

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.