Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looks like We Not BA are in the media

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
Honestly the idea of spending thousands to fly all the way to Hawaii just to turn around and fly back again a few hours later, that seems like insanity to me. And surely Border Force of both countries would get suspicious of what you were up to!
At the end of the day, and I've said this before, I find it ridiculous that people pay say £10k for a shiny gold Rolex, £500k for a 1 bedroomed London flat; £70k for a flash BMW to sit in rush hour M25 traffic; £150+ for a steak; £100 for a bottle of champagne; £20k+ on a wedding that is just to show off etc.

​​​​​
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Dark Blue
Was it really possible to retain GGL for £2,500 by "exploiting every loophole"? I probably spent £4,000-4,500 only for flights.
The retention bar was set very low. That's just over 1p per TP which with double tier points is certainly possible, but it's an edge case.
KARFA and Radiation Station like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
The retention bar was set very low. That's just over 1p per TP which with double tier points is certainly possible, but it's an edge case.
I see. Yeah, I renewed mine at 2,250 TPs but didn't look at BA holidays as 5 nights did not work for me. Did Hawaii a couple of times, which cost me $5,500ish, but accommodation in Waikiki cost me more... (no, not 45 min stay!)
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:28 am

To each their own. Within the law and basic common sense, people shouldn't be criticized for what they enjoy doing.

That said, I've always been extremely curious why people go on "point runs". I can understand if they just enjoy the flying. But I've never understood the reasoning for the status seekers. Surely, the status is no longer worth the $ and time spent. Am I missing something here?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
It's not the first time these types of article have been written and won't be last. As for people worried that climate issues may work against them, don't worry, minimum spend revenue flying like that in the US will be the nail in the coffin for most. When GGL requires 15k and Gold 12k min spend, a guy from The Times will be the least of many people's worries. I'd imagine TPs will remain, but they'll add a Qualifying Quids bar which is only earned on fare paid not on carrier charges haha. don't forget the accompanying article from BA marketing telling you it's because we asked for a simpler way of earning status
​​​​​​
crazy8534 and fluffymitten like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Ned1968
The "Concorde Room" photo is hilarious
I think that’s the BOS lounge, always loved that view.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
Honestly the idea of spending thousands to fly all the way to Hawaii just to turn around and fly back again a few hours later, that seems like insanity to me. And surely Border Force of both countries would get suspicious of what you were up to!
There was a chap on here a few years back. I think he was called Peter. Anyway, he did just this. I’ve forgotten the exact route but it was something like Eastern Europe to Hawaii via LCY and including a transcon when they were 210 points and then he nested two, yes two, HNL to SJU trips in between. He did this twice as he wanted a CCR card. I remember that his wife also joined FT and gave her view!
There will be the evidence on here but being notoriously lazy I haven’t searched yet! I recall that even the denizens of this forum thought this was taking things a bit too far!

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I’ve often mentioned the loopholes and tricks to my wider social circles (for what that’s worth) and whilst they find the conversation/ideas interesting, the majority just wouldn’t bother, people just want to fly A>B and back in as feasible way as possible. I imagine FT is very small crowd in the world of travel.
I have done similar and while they are very interested that I manage to travel further up the front they show no interest in any methodology. I’m not an extreme TP runner by any means. I’ve been known to tag on a stop on the way occasionally but all trips so far have been ex-UK.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I also remember in the midsts of time (about five years ago) that BA personally presented a Gold card to some chap who had got it through TP running and did a feature on it.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Mrs firstlight and I did pretty well without any tp runs, just using the reduced thresholds and ba holiday offer (with some holiday trips via DOH). For Mrs. F that was 4000tps gained entirely in leisure flying.

To retain my status for another year required 1 return trip in economy and a night away that I otherwise would not have taken costing €400. That's about 10 glasses of LPGS at current retail prices...

it's all down to personal preference; I personally wouldn't just go to Hawaii for 45 minutes, but would go for a week and if I could get 1500tps and a week away with Mrs. F into the bargain it would be money well spent!
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Exactly. What gets ignored here is that £1000 for business class to Hawaii is madly cheap and most did it for a holiday. When I looked at the €1500 ex Prague deal on Wed, BA wanted £1200 in June for an Economy flight ex London.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Cw novice
For me I glean the information on here to optimise the trips I want to go on to get status. I wouldn't see the point of going all the way to Hawaii to not have 10 days there.

But I would think nothing of adding extra legs to my holiday and timing the trip to maximise length of status. Plus I actually enjoy flying and it makes my trips more enjoyable with the extras.
Not even that for me, but I have chosen to travel CE, rather than ET, or CW as opposed to PE from time to time. Earning additional TPs and status by way of travel class rather than additional flying seems to have been overlooked in the article. And if the Sunday Times or its readers wish to go all 'class-war' about that, surely BA's ability to fill its premium cabins, makes travel that bit more affordable for all. Oops! I forgot, in the new orthodoxy we're not supposed to travel.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just wait until people figure out that you can get Oneworld elite status cheaper just sitting at home in front of your computer... And that you earn far more award miles for free flights in the process...

It won't be as much fun as flying to Hawaii and back though...
TTmex and Robert279 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I like flyimg, although there are times when the novelty factor wears off.
I like hhe odd drink, and wouldn't dream of paying £30-£40 for a bottle of Moet, so a glass or two in a lounge make it something special.
That said, my love of alcohol has wained recently, and I can't be bothered sitting in a lounge for 5hrs just because they serve so and so.
Had some delays this weekend, and after eating something, and being full, an extra 4hrs, including a 2hr or so delay, is boring.

It's still nice flying business class from OTP or SOF to SFO for £1200] when PE direct from LHR is about £200 less. Space and flat bed is worth that extra even though I spend half a day getting to SOF or wherever.
I'll try to spend at least some time somewhere, although only so many times i can visit San Francisco to be honest.

Status wise, lounge access and seat selectuon are nice especially of om a dirt cheap ticket.
Theee are no real benefits in the air or on the ground to be honest. Blue, Gold, CK or GGL, all the same
Well Avios earning, with the beest usage possibly being the booking or more flights which make you want to fly more in order to perpetuate things
Cymro, TTmex and Radiation Station like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA GGL
Originally Posted by Raffles
In my experience (not my own!) the divorce rate amongst heavy TP runners is well above the national average! Not a good thing to do long term.
I find keeping the other half sweet with the partner gold card and the annual trips makes it all ok… indeed I was asked recently when I was heading off on my next one as I have been at home too long… now that I think about it 🤣🤣
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm not so sure the numbers doing it year in year out are that big. Since I joined this forum most of the 'hard core' TP runners around back then have disappeared over the years.
Or they have private whatsapp groups and keep the best deals off FT to prevent it being ruined.

Originally Posted by Dark Blue
Was it really possible to retain GGL for £2,500 by "exploiting every loophole"? I probably spent £4,000-4,500 only for flights.
Yes, at reduced 2250 rate

Originally Posted by xenole
At the end of the day, and I've said this before, I find it ridiculous that people pay say £10k for a shiny gold Rolex, £500k for a 1 bedroomed London flat; £70k for a flash BMW to sit in rush hour M25 traffic; £150+ for a steak; £100 for a bottle of champagne; £20k+ on a wedding that is just to show off etc.

​​​​​
are you stalking me

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 15, 2023 at 4:03 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.