Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looks like We Not BA are in the media

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
The article fails to mention that TP runners make up a tiny percentage of status holders and the vast majority in the higher tiers travel for work reasons. I certainly don't see them driving up demand for premium travel, in fact the opposite is probably true, although Avis at SOF might disagree.

Someone is spending ~Ł2K to get Gold on a roundtrip to HNL and then using lounges while flying in economy for the rest of the year surely isn't motivating BA to add more flights.
If they were smart they would be getting two years out of it.

I would imagine 95%+ of people doing double TP holidays take the direct flight and collect the car
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I suppose that if you're considering carbon fpotprints etc., you could include business travel in the US where someone flies LAX-JFK for a 5 min face-to-face meeting, or to hand over documents. Nothing there that couldn't technically be done over Teams, Skype or whatever.

I would have though jon collection of a hire collection, from a certain point of view, might be good thing.
Avis, Hertz or whoever get paid regardless. You're not polluting by driving it. A higher mileage might mean it has a longer life or re-sale value.

The 45 min trip to HNL. Sure that hasnt been done since you could pick up Ł1k or less fares using BA1 from LCY, and that was a few years ago.
Was best there landing at 10-11am, popping to Dukes for Hula pie and a Mai Tai, watching the sunset from Waikiki, and then back at the airport for 7pm or so Maybe a trip up Diamondhead in the afternoon....

Last edited by xenole; Jan 15, 2023 at 3:02 am
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:05 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
The newspaper’s need a new virtue signalling feast, seems they have found one
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Corpt
The sense of outrage in some of the comments is quite entertaining.
Generating outrage was the sole purpose of the paper publishing that article.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by atcer28
In terms of Sofia BAH senior management are well aware of what goes on with non car collection already as I spoke to one of them about it a couple of months ago (not in terms of me telling them I hasten to add, it was about whether the offer was popular).
I'm quite convinced they always keep a certain bunch of those low J fare deals out of SOF and other European cities to capture the people who will be buyers at those prices. While people on here often treat it as a trade secret (and to the vast majority of people who fly, it kind of is!), the airlines know exactly what is happening and it's likely by design. Other airlines are the same, with the likes of QR out of ARN with great J fares to places like Australia for a very long time and there are countless other examples. I suppose the only game in it is finding which city they'll pick next to offer the deep discounted premium fares from.
becks1 and Radiation Station like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:19 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Why would people on FT bring light to some of the practices we do to earn TP's... ie the Sofia car hire? are they trying to get it closed down? all for 15 mins of fame.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:55 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Why would people on FT bring light to some of the practices we do to earn TP's... ie the Sofia car hire? are they trying to get it closed down? all for 15 mins of fame.
The paper was well aware of that before talking to anyone. And everything else is just knowing the fare rules. They aren't loopholes!
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
It’s really not worth stressing over in that way ! Sofia car rentals is no big deal in the greater scheme of things.

Rest assured that BA - and other airlines - are themselves all-too-familiar with the myriad of ‘tricks & workarounds’ which get discussed (as well as many others which don’t) on the likes of FT and countless travel-related blogs. When they want to shut them down, they will ; but likewise, for as long as it suits their commercial purposes, along with those of their business partners, to tacitly allow them to continue (as is so often the case), they WILL.

On the wider subject of the more geeky world of flying purely for the sake of accruing what are perceived as perks and shiny cards, I think the media has long had a certain fascination with what goes on …… if only because they know it attracts the interest of readers, viewers, and listeners.

For those who missed it when first broadcast, the BBC Radio 4 ‘documentary’ on the more (ahem) committed of FF programme aficionados is still available (link below) and it’s a well-produced and worthwhile 30 mins or so. The BBC synopsis which appeared at the time included the following :

Many hardcore frequent flyers will stop at nothing to achieve the privileges which go with airline status, planning convoluted multi-leg journeys to maximise their points. It’s a whole sub-economy – a parallel currency which the airlines control, and which the frequent flyers seek to exploit.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b09tcnm5
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by subject2load
For those who missed it when first broadcast, the BBC Radio 4 ‘documentary’ on the more (ahem) committed of FF programme aficionados is still available (link below) and it’s a well-produced and worthwhile 30 mins or so.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b09tcnm5
Oddly I found that program to be awful both in the format used and the substance. I did have some discussions with the producer beforehand, but after I heard it I was quite glad my bit never made it in.

Many hardcore frequent flyers will stop at nothing to achieve the privileges which go with airline status, planning convoluted multi-leg journeys to maximise their points...
​​​​​​​Not true. I would never go back to NQY
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Oddly I found that program to be awful both in the format used and the substance. I did have some discussions with the producer beforehand, but after I heard it I was quite glad my bit never made it in.

​​
Well, fair enough. Each to their own, I guess. Wouldn’t say I found the prog worthy award of a Sony Radio Award, but I thought it was a very decent 30-minute listen.

You’ve now got me wondering just how critical you might be of this particular tome …… due to be delivered to me this coming week, so not in a position to comment myself just yet.

Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by subject2load
Well, fair enough. Each to their own, I guess. Wouldn’t say I found the prog worthy award of a Sony Radio Award, but I thought it was a very decent 30-minute listen.

You’ve now got me wondering just how critical you might be of this particular tome …… due to be delivered to me this coming week, so not in a position to comment myself just yet.

Now available on Kindle as well. I might read that next time I'm quaffing DP in my EK F suite (upgraded with points of course!).
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
The article fails to mention that TP runners make up a tiny percentage of status holders and the vast majority in the higher tiers travel for work reasons. I certainly don't see them driving up demand for premium travel, in fact the opposite is probably true, although Avis at SOF might disagree.

Someone is spending ~Ł2K to get Gold on a roundtrip to HNL and then using lounges while flying in economy for the rest of the year surely isn't motivating BA to add more flights.
I did a 70 minute chat with Nick on Wed trying to make exactly this point. Sadly it didn’t fit his narrative so I got cut down to one line :-)

That said, after I’d explained no-one was going to Hawaii these days, up popped the BA/AA €1500 Prague deal, probably still bookable.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
………………I might read that next time I'm quaffing DP in my EK F suite (upgraded with points of course!).

What a show-off !! (says the guy who has just done BRU-DXB-MEL in EK F (inc. ‘new’ 777 + 380) …..all on miles )
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:23 am

A discussion about this cropped up several months back in a parliamentary committee, I understand. It seems that in their brainstorming of ways to accelerate the dash for Zero CO2, amongst the ideas (in addition to banning gas boilers or re-introducing the concept of walking in front of railway engines with a red flag) was the suggestion that frequent flyer incentives be outlawed (i.e. ff miles / tier points). The suggestion never saw the light of day (or hasn't yet) - too complex given our world-wide connectivity and adoption of schemes (?), or Parliament's finest loath to give up their own status, lounges and reward flights.
crazy8534 and AnaTravel like this.

Last edited by Robert279; Jan 15, 2023 at 5:30 am
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Raffles
I did a 70 minute chat with Nick on Wed trying to make exactly this point. Sadly it didn’t fit his narrative so I got cut down to one line :-)

That said, after I’d explained no-one was going to Hawaii these days, up popped the BA/AA €1500 Prague deal, probably still bookable.
I wish... it was dead 2/3 hrs after I saw it on the Premium Deals Forum and I coudn't book it quickly. Waiting for the next for a TP optimized vacation with husband.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.