Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘Accidental’ slide deployment on BA aircraft - multiple recent occurrences

Old Jan 13, 2023, 4:53 am
Original Poster

G-VIIK was in an unfortunate incident at stand 537 today… during boarding pushback for the Lagos flight, a crew member inadvertently deployed the emergency slide at L3.

All a bit odd and confusing.

Coffeemadman likes this.

Last edited by VictorSierra; Jan 13, 2023 at 6:29 am
Old Jan 13, 2023, 4:57 am

Oh dear. A very costly and time consuming accident. That aircraft will be out of action for a few hours.
irishguy28, wrp96, becks1 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Presumably you can't inadvertently deploy an emergency slide without deliberately opening a door first?

Ever any reason for L/R3 to be open on the ground during a turn around?
wrp96 and SxMan like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Very strange, doors 3 are never opened by crew unless there is an emergency, I would say this was possibly done by a passenger.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:25 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Two questions:

1. How long will this take to re-pack and get signed off?
2. Why on earth is a fire engine on the scene?
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Very strange, doors 3 are never opened by crew unless there is an emergency, I would say this was possibly done by a passenger.
Is it remotely possible that a crew member might have opened the door instead of arming it? It would obviously be a huge brain fart to put it mildly, but possible, or too far fetched?
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:29 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Other sources are saying it happened during push back, (which tallies with the initial images showing it away from the gate) so a question for Can I help you is if a slide can be deployed during the doors to automatic check on push back?

Pilot37
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It could be BUT a huge mistake as arming the door and opening the door are two separate actions.
flygirl68, becks1, SxMan and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Two questions:

1. How long will this take to re-pack and get signed off?
2. Why on earth is a fire engine on the scene?

1. They should have a spare as it's at LHR so it's just a case of dismantling that one and fitting another. Still a couple of hours or so though. If they have a spare aircraft it may be quicker to just use that one for the flight. That slide will be sent to Cardiff to be checked and repacked.
2. Precautions.
RJD1983, wrp96, SxMan and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Sorry, it was indeed during pushback and it was a very junior crew member.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:42 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Schind
1. They should have a spare as it's at LHR so it's just a case of dismantling that one and fitting another. Still a couple of hours or so though. If they have a spare aircraft it may be quicker to just use that one. That slide will be sent to Cardiff to be checked and repackaged.
2. Precautions.
Thanks - I had no idea a fire was likely during an accidental slide deployment
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by VictorSierra
if that is true it begs the question of the quality of the training and I hope regulatory bodies asking BA a question how can you train thousands of new cabin crew safely.
I mean the main job of the cabin crew to make the plane secure and in case of emergency evacuate the plane and this action raises the question how mentally prepared the new recruits are?
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:47 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VictorSierra
Hopefully the airline acknowledges that people learn from mistakes. It would be a shame if a promising career has just come to an abrupt end!
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by BOH
Thanks - I had no idea a fire was likely during an accidental slide deployment
Tower could have activated the emergency protocol seeing an emergency slide deployment. Or the pushback operator. They have no clue why is it happening but they want emergency services there. Also it could have been possible that some freaked out passenger just jumps on the slide and get injured. So it’s totally normal to see a fire engine.
Oh and I forgot to add that left engine might be running. Not sure how heatproof those slides are but generally you deploy them when engines are shut down. Would those slide burns? No idea.
SK, Admiral Ackbar, gcuk and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Is it remotely possible that a crew member might have opened the door instead of arming it? It would obviously be a huge brain fart to put it mildly, but possible, or too far fetched?
It's possible but not probable. You get on the aircraft, the door is in manual. You then arm it during pushback. The crew member or passenger would have to have placed the door correctly into automatic and then once they'd done that, they'd then have to open it using the operating handle.
Inadvertent slide deployments usually happen upon arrival, where the door has been incorrectly disarmed, or the operating handle used instead of the arming lever. It's uncommon for events like this to take place on pushback.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.