Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Priority Baggage Handling Not Currently Operational

Priority Baggage Handling Not Currently Operational

Old Jan 13, 23, 5:00 am
  #1  
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK/AU
Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Posts: 1,057
Priority Baggage Handling Not Currently Operational

Hi all.

I was investigating baggage allowance for an upcoming reward booking and found this on the OW website. Pay attention to the asterisk points: https://www.oneworld.com/travel-bene...world-priority

**Priority baggage handling is not currently available on flights operated by British Airways.

I've taken my usual QF1, flown CX and BA in and out of LHR multiple times both LH and SH with checked baggage in the past six months. Rarely has priority baggage 'worked' on any OW carrier on return to the UK. I realise it is a gamble most of the time and most of us just put up with it. That said, what do we think this means that it is not offered specifically by BA? It seems that many *A partners are in the same boat.
sydtogla is offline  
Old Jan 13, 23, 5:05 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 1,417
Originally Posted by sydtogla View Post
**Priority baggage handling is not currently available on flights operated by British Airways.
This has been the case for years and years with British Airways.

For me, it's no big deal. I often travel without a bag, and when I do have checked luggage, waiting at the carousel is no big deal.

I never really understood the need for priority baggage. Yes, it's nice when your bag comes out first, but usually most of the time is spent waiting for the first bag from your flight to arrive. Once they start coming through, you usually have your luggage quickly enough. Priority only gives you a few minutes benefit over the rest of the bags, so yeah. No big deal for me!
FlightDetective is offline  
Old Jan 13, 23, 5:05 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Munich, Algarve, Sussex or S.F Bay Area
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Posts: 3,728
I have never experienced anything other than random baggage delivery with BA, regardless of status or class of service.

It does however mostly work on QR and just last week my bags came off the belt first on LH, LX and even TP, although not at LHR but more often than for it to have been pure luck.
justin_krusty likes this.
Tafflyer is offline  
Old Jan 13, 23, 5:07 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Munich, Algarve, Sussex or S.F Bay Area
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Posts: 3,728
Originally Posted by FlightDetective View Post
This has been the case for years and years with British Airways.

For me, it's no big deal. I often travel without a bag, and when I do have checked luggage, waiting at the carousel is no big deal.

I never really understood the need for priority baggage. Yes, it's nice when your bag comes out first, but usually most of the time is spent waiting for the first bag from your flight to arrive. Once they start coming through, you usually have your luggage quickly enough. Priority only gives you a few minutes benefit over the rest of the bags, so yeah. No big deal for me!
While broadly agreeing with you, at some airports, notably in the USA, having your bag first makes the difference between going straight through customs or standing in line for 20 minutes.
Tafflyer is offline  
Old Jan 13, 23, 5:36 am
  #5  
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK/AU
Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Posts: 1,057
I have had my baggage on US int-int transit (which is truly a fasttrack to the worst airport experiences ((ahem MIA)) of your life) interlined/checked through since being able to use the First wing where the staff know what to do and sympathise. If that wasn't the case, like Tafflyer says, it would be painful having to wait. I currently set my transit in the US as 3h minimum and that is knowing my baggage will go through. If it wasn't that way I'd be stuck. (Maybe everyone else gets those DO NOT RELEASE tags these days too?)
sydtogla is offline  
Old Jan 13, 23, 8:31 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Roswell, GA
Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,082
you know I have never actually looked at the baggage stuff... have not checked a bag in almost 20 years...
and never plan too
fotographer is offline  
Old Jan 13, 23, 8:33 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 686
On a QR flight to MAA a catholic priest got his luggage half an hour before the rest of the luggage came through! Divine intervention or what?
TarquinMontague and TheBigRat like this.
CharlotteC is offline  
Old Jan 13, 23, 8:37 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 1,796
Originally Posted by sydtogla View Post
Hi all.

I was investigating baggage allowance for an upcoming reward booking and found this on the OW website. Pay attention to the asterisk points: https://www.oneworld.com/travel-bene...world-priority

**Priority baggage handling is not currently available on flights operated by British Airways.

I've taken my usual QF1, flown CX and BA in and out of LHR multiple times both LH and SH with checked baggage in the past six months. Rarely has priority baggage 'worked' on any OW carrier on return to the UK. I realise it is a gamble most of the time and most of us just put up with it. That said, what do we think this means that it is not offered specifically by BA? It seems that many *A partners are in the same boat.
This crops up occasionally, our general experience is orange tags make no difference, yellow tags quite often do, especially in places like Dubai.
firstlight is offline  
Old Jan 13, 23, 9:03 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: London (ne Melbourne)
Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Posts: 420
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
While broadly agreeing with you, at some airports, notably in the USA, having your bag first makes the difference between going straight through customs or standing in line for 20 minutes.
Agree, similarly important in Australia where everyone is seen by an officer with their bag and customs declaration, queues form very quickly.

Matters less in the UK/Europe where you collect your bag and just walk out.
LondonAussie is offline  
Old Jan 13, 23, 7:20 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,371
This refers to priority baggage handling as a status benefit.

On BA, priority baggage handling is only offered based on cabin. Bear in mind that on even a 777, there can be 84 seats in F/J and passengers in premium cabins tend to check more bags in, there will be disproportionately more priority baggage than non priority baggage.

Also remember that bags are driven to the hall in bins which arrive 3 at a time, so depending on which one is opened first, you may get a few non priority bags mixed with priority bags.
SW7London likes this.
xxxxx is offline  
Old Jan 13, 23, 8:25 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,820
Originally Posted by FlightDetective View Post
Once they start coming through, you usually have your luggage quickly enough. Priority only gives you a few minutes benefit over the rest of the bags, so yeah. No big deal for me!
I have more than once experienced baggage delivery lasting around 30 minutes between first and last bag, and even a shorter difference can easily into an hour if you continue on a train (or even more if you use another mode of transport that runs at lower frequency). It has always been quite tight for me at DUS between being lucky and unlucky.
FlightDetective likes this.
FlyingScientist is offline  
Old Jan 13, 23, 8:38 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Programs: AS 100K; BA Gold
Posts: 14,717
BA has been excluded from this benefit for many a year. To ensure my baggage receives priority handling I carry on. Some other threads:
No priority luggage for BAEC Gold?
Why no priority baggage handling for emeralds?
Priority Luggage never offered?
Priority Baggage Tags
Oneworld Priority Bag Tags on BA
I was told priority tags make no difference...
Do priority luggage tags matter
Do Club Europe passenger entitle priority baggage?
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Jan 13, 23, 9:50 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MIA
Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, AC 75K. Marriott LTT, HH Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 778
I always thought the difference between normal baggage und priority baggage is an orange label. And the difference between priority baggage and super priority baggage is a yellow label. Is there anything else to it? Does BA have no more labels and now they had to be excluded?

Or is there anything else to priority baggage handling that I missed?
flying_geek is offline  
Old Jan 14, 23, 2:40 am
  #14  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 57,531
Originally Posted by flying_geek View Post
I always thought the difference between normal baggage und priority baggage is an orange label. And the difference between priority baggage and super priority baggage is a yellow label. Is there anything else to it? Does BA have no more labels and now they had to be excluded?

Or is there anything else to priority baggage handling that I missed?
Well I'm sure it's in Jerry's links somewhere but the labels are only there for people who want a label on their bags, they don't actually do anything. It's all in the barcode, the AKE bins per cabin, and the AWH (Automatic Warehouse) that connects barcode to bin. Everything is is meretricious, at least for T3 and T5, with the exception of one aircraft.

But as already mentioned, when two thirds of bags on an aircraft have some sort of priority, the whole concept of priority handling is meretricious too.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Jan 14, 23, 3:22 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 22,692
It is laughably bad and had been so for years. There are some airports (SIN, HKG) where it used to work most of the time but even then if LHR couldnt be arsed to load the bins correctly it would fail.

My most recent experience at JNB - first bags in 15mins (crew, inevitably), then half the priority bags, all of steerage and the final load at 50mins. That was a 789 so not exactly a pax heavy plane.

Obviously its one of the passenger experience touchpoints (like priority boarding) that no-one in BA really cares about as it doesnt drive revenue or save cost. 🤷🏻‍♂️
SW7London likes this.
Swanhunter is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread