Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA TP Run flights all changed - can I choose again?

BA TP Run flights all changed - can I choose again?

Old Jan 12, 23, 8:23 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Programs: BA Executive Club
Posts: 11
BA TP Run flights all changed - can I choose again?

I booked a standard TP run with BA over the phone, DUB-LHR-JFK-PHX-SFO, late in 2022, and have just received an email that the outward portion has been changed to DUB-LHR-SFO, losing a significant chunk of TPs.

I知 going to phone the Gold line this evening as the email stated I can call to discuss, but wanted to see if anyone has any experience in what I can ask for / responses I値l get trying to return to something closer to my original booking?

Thanks!
codinghands is offline  
Old Jan 12, 23, 8:25 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 303
Originally Posted by codinghands View Post
I booked a standard TP run with BA over the phone, DUB-LHR-JFK-PHX-SFO, late in 2022, and have just received an email that the outward portion has been changed to DUB-LHR-SFO, losing a significant chunk of TPs.

I知 going to phone the Gold line this evening as the email stated I can call to discuss, but wanted to see if anyone has any experience in what I can ask for / responses I値l get trying to return to something closer to my original booking?

Thanks!
Sometimes on MMB you can change your flights yourself
jamestg is online now  
Old Jan 12, 23, 8:27 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lausanne Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Posts: 1,232
In these situations I work out what flights I want, phone exec club and they normally fix it...
I assume this is a flight only booking and not a BAH booking
m8_rotate likes this.
SWISSBOBBY is offline  
Old Jan 12, 23, 8:39 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Posts: 470
Unhappy

Originally Posted by jamestg View Post
Sometimes on MMB you can change your flights yourself
Just don't do what I did recently on a MMB with AA flights.
Original route DUB-ORD-MCI in business.
Advised that my first flight was now going to be a couple of hours earlier but I could choose from a number of other flights which were listed.
Thinking to maximize the number of stops before Kansas, I felt smug having changed the flight to something with 3 stops (cannot remember all the airports I was now going to fly through).
Only to realize that my new itinerary left 2 days later than my intended travel dates..... cue panicked call to AA which took them over an hour to clear up my mess- which I could have been charged for
IntVic is offline  
Old Jan 12, 23, 8:47 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 10,847
When is your Run ? If it's summer / autumn, just do nothing for a few months, as AA will change their schedules many times !
m8_rotate likes this.
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Jan 12, 23, 10:18 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 559
Can you not take the direct flight and claim Original Routing Credit? Or does this not work on changes that have been agreed in advance of travel?
GBOAC is offline  
Old Jan 12, 23, 10:24 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: BAEC - Silver
Posts: 123
Originally Posted by GBOAC View Post
Can you not take the direct flight and claim Original Routing Credit? Or does this not work on changes that have been agreed in advance of travel?
OK, so I know it is going to be an automated system but I am envisaging someone in the flight changes team sitting there looking at the itinerary that can't be done now saying "Poor chap! Look at this crazy convoluted routing he has had to take to save a few quid. As the changes are our fault let's give him a direct flight on us and save him all that travel."

I was thinking ORC too but again not sure - in particular this far out. Worth a call to ask but might also have a fight when it doesn't post as such afterwards too.
Soft Top is offline  
Old Jan 12, 23, 10:48 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 2,705
A few years ago (well, quite a few actually - 2014) I was flying BRU - PHL - PHX - FAT booked through US Airways shortly after they became a OW member and I received an e-mail saying the BRU - PHL flight was oversold (I was in business) and asking if I could fly +/- two days. Having looked at alternatives and decided instead to fly BRU - LHR - PHL - PHX - FAT to maximise Tier Points I called the airline. The agent I spoke to very much mimicked what Soft Top says and offered to put me on the direct LHR - PHX flight to save me having to fly through PHL. I told him I'd much prefer the indirect routing because I was doing a bit of a mileage run - and he was totally fine with it. Not only did I get the extra TPs but I also got a travel voucher for something like $800 for relinquishing my business class seat on the BRU - PHL flight.
birdiedouble likes this.
Geordie405 is online now  
Old Jan 12, 23, 10:59 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Isle of Man/East Palo Alto
Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Posts: 553
Originally Posted by IntVic View Post
Just don't do what I did recently on a MMB with AA flights.
Original route DUB-ORD-MCI in business.
Advised that my first flight was now going to be a couple of hours earlier but I could choose from a number of other flights which were listed.
Thinking to maximize the number of stops before Kansas, I felt smug having changed the flight to something with 3 stops (cannot remember all the airports I was now going to fly through).
Only to realize that my new itinerary left 2 days later than my intended travel dates..... cue panicked call to AA which took them over an hour to clear up my mess- which I could have been charged for
In the distance, millions of Missourians are screaming out in pain in unison.
VSLover, GoBob, IntVic and 1 others like this.
wutlol is offline  
Old Jan 12, 23, 11:15 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: England
Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus Silver, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Pizza Express Silver
Posts: 534
Originally Posted by Soft Top View Post
OK, so I know it is going to be an automated system but I am envisaging someone in the flight changes team sitting there looking at the itinerary that can't be done now saying "Poor chap! Look at this crazy convoluted routing he has had to take to save a few quid. As the changes are our fault let's give him a direct flight on us and save him all that travel."

I was thinking ORC too but again not sure - in particular this far out. Worth a call to ask but might also have a fight when it doesn't post as such afterwards too.
I'm fairly sure ORC is for on the day/shortly before at most changes. I don't think you'd get very far asking for it for an itinerary you'd changed to months before unfortunately. If it did work like that I'd be taking a lot fewer flights to HNL later this year!
etiene likes this.
omk298 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 23, 12:11 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Posts: 4,374
ORC won't work, but you should be able to create your own itinerary and phone it in. The agents aren't stupid and they know people do odd routings for TPs.

I must admit I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry with this as the cancellations mean you have a very flexible ticket if you were to need to cancel.
bisonrav is online now  
Old Jan 12, 23, 1:19 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Programs: BA Executive Club
Posts: 11
Thanks for all the advice! I phoned up and it seems they no longer liked the connection time between arriving in LHR and departing for JFK (it was only 70 minutes or so) - however the agent (after some gentle suggestion) kindly booked us both on to a much nicer GLA - LHR flight - no positioning to DUB required on the way out, with the rest of the itinerary staying the same. So now we've got GLA-LHR-JFK-PHX-SFO on the way out - much better!
codinghands is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread