BA Boarding Music

Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Maybe one for ‘ask the staffer’ but is the boarding music actually played from a tape of some description? I was on G-EUXG today and the music certainly sounded like it was from an 18 year old home cassette that had been played far too many times - warped and very distorted. I had assumed it was a digital player, although I remember the old 737s (perhaps not BA) had a cassette player by the front galley.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by volar
Maybe one for ‘ask the staffer’ but is the boarding music actually played from a tape of some description? I was on G-EUXG today and the music certainly sounded like it was from an 18 year old home cassette that had been played far too many times - warped and very distorted. I had assumed it was a digital player, although I remember the old 737s (perhaps not BA) had a cassette player by the front galley.
That could be the age or quality (lack of) the speakers vs the player itself.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
That could be the age or quality (lack of) the speakers vs the player itself.
The music was sometimes fine and sometimes very distorted rather than being consistently bad - so I still reckon it’s the player or media. It just made me wonder how the system worked having read some of the previous comments.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by volar
Some of the older A320 family do indeed still use tapes, all other aircraft use a digital system.

On the Embraer fleet, the two oldest frames use a fairly basic system with more limited storage space so only have the Flower Duet and not the full playlist of tracks as featured on the other aircraft. Infuriatingly if the PA is used it starts again from the beginning instead of muting/pausing!
RJD1983, SxMan and volar like this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
This was my all time favourite BA boarding music
https://youtu.be/xlZadIuidqI
That is a great piece, was this commisoned for BA? Shazam doesn't seem to recognise it.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 12:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
That is a great piece, was this commisoned for BA? Shazam doesn't seem to recognise it.
This is a pure guess on my part but it has a lot of the hallmarks of the late Vangelis. He was commissioned to do music for the TV adverts in the period before that. He was pretty notorious for doing vast amounts of extra work for his contracts over and above the requirements.
gliderpilot and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 2:52 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
This piece is hideous. I remember being delayed on the ground for two hours with this thing playing in a loop. That night, at 3am this was stuck in my head.
Tobias-UK and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by mario
This piece is hideous. I remember being delayed on the ground for two hours with this thing playing in a loop. That night, at 3am this was stuck in my head.
I feel nostalgic towards it. I can remember many late Friday evenings in the 90s when heading to Scotland from London. I'd board and fall asleep to it before we moved.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Re-visiting this thread because this evening, instead of the usual classical BA boarding music, we were treated to some pop music- I'd heard it before (in fact I think there were a few songs rather than the same one on loop), but couldn't tell you who it was- might have been Kylie or the like. One off or is this a change of policy?
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
A change of music would be welcome but I should be so lucky....
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Re-visiting this thread because this evening, instead of the usual classical BA boarding music, we were treated to some pop music- I'd heard it before (in fact I think there were a few songs rather than the same one on loop), but couldn't tell you who it was- might have been Kylie or the like. One off or is this a change of policy?
Were you on an ex-BMI aircraft (the ones with the blue seats and carpet)?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by EJetter
Were you on an ex-BMI aircraft (the ones with the blue seats and carpet)?
It was an ancient aircraft with white middle seat consoles in CE- I think those are ex BMI but am not sure.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
It was an ancient aircraft with white middle seat consoles in CE- I think those are ex BMI but am not sure.
From what I understand the boarding music on those wasn't updated when they were acquired so it's frozen in 2012.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Lioneye
A change of music would be welcome but I should be so lucky....
Trust me it could be worse. Vietnam airlines playing Christmas music on Wednesday and Christmas music in Hanoi duty free today.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
Seeing as someone has brought it up, the last couple of domestics on A320s has been British music eg David Bowie on boarding. I guessed it might have been to do with emphasising Britishness eg turkey dinners and pie. It made a nice change from the usual

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.