Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should there be a limit to where BA use NEO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should there be a limit to where BA use NEO?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Prospero
European carriers are all heading in the same direction with their Neos with lightweight slimline seats in the range of 8 to 9 kg per seat unit. So for the A320neo with the SpaceFlex rear galley/wc module its either 180 or 186 seats depending on number of front galley/storage modules fitted.
Aerolopa has the pitch down as 28" for row 30 on BA's A320N. I have never sat there, right enough.

The Neo is a great aircraft, but is unfortunately crap from a comfort perspective down the back. Had one on my recent EDI-LHR, for which the cheapo Recaro seats are tolerable. However the toilet down the back was an interesting experience - very narrow and cramped and not a pleasant experience. Or at least the one with the cabin crew seat on the door was; I didn't use the other one. One of the FAs also told me.the galleys were pretty much the same - cramped.

in addition to comfort, the small galleys did make me wonder how suitable they really are on the longer sectors, with the lack of space potentially posing problems if there's a lot of food been ordered.

I find BA's Recaro seat much better than easyJet's. It still isn't good, but it is a bit firmer and therefore gives me better back support. easyJet's seat gives me back pain on longer sectors.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Have only flown the seats once and it wasn’t great but wasn’t awful. But I do sometimes worry that it’s little steps towards the lowest common denominator with airlines. On an individual level each thing can be dismissed as “okay and manageable” and people complaining about them seem as nit-picking but you miss the overall change once you add little things together.

I realise it’s not the end of the world and I realise little things like menus, tables in the middle seats and hot towels in CE aren’t going to kill anyone but it just takes that shine off things that little bit.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by camdentown
Good point orbitmic - at what point might the uncomfy seats start to inhibit connecting traffic and make passengers favour more direct flights with other airlines (from different alliances) ?
i think more direct would be preferable anyway but yes the risk is connect with someone else instead at least in W and high fare Y.

we actually have the opposite example on TLV where Ba essentially flies long haul planes to attract much of the connecting traffic and is rather successful doing so!

CAI is not tlv but it still has significant traffic. Lca has less but still quite a bit not least since half o f Russia now seems to be living there!

my guess is Ba won’t lose much to lh but maybe to qr?
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
easyJet's seat gives me back pain on longer sectors.
I get this too and have come to the conclusion that it’s the shape of the seat rather than it’s thinness that causes me discomfort

I’ve flown other carriers with fixed seats and not had the same trouble
1HourPhoto likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:19 pm

Reminds me of the plush seats in the front cabin on the Dom/Eur 767s compared with the ironing boards down the back.

The railways are very much the same - GWR class 387s and Northern class 158s have recently seen dreadful ironing boards installed:

Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Seat outfitting is usually up to the operator (BA) so this is not really a Neo issue. At least this is true for US operators and Boeing planes.
etiene likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by Andriyko
It is, of course, subjective but I see nothing horrible about these seats. My husband flew at the back 3 weeks ago as Row 27 was the only one available following a cancelation, he's tall (180cm) and has long legs but he can't remember a single 'horrible' thing about the seat. A flat bed it ain't, but it is a completely acceptable seat even on longer flights.
What is subjective? That the seat pitch is so small your knees are crashed? Or the seat feels like an iron board? Honestly, if your husband thinks that Row 27 on a neo is a completely acceptable seat on longer flights he might have an insensitivity with his knees/legs (i am not being sarcastic).

Have you actually flew in one of these planes at the back? There is a general consensus that the seat is very tight not only on BA planes but with other airlines such as Aegean.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ermis177
Have you actually flew in one of these planes at the back? There is a general consensus that the seat is very tight not only on BA planes but with other airlines such as Aegean.
Yes, of course, I flew on one of these planes at the back. My knees were not crushed. I am 179cm. I think some people think about the number rather than how it actually feels to sit in that seat. I have seen very tall guys with long legs being uncomfortable in that seat, but for someone of my height and built it is not an issue.
etiene and ExAbz like this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I can't comment on the quality of the seats, but I am constantly amazed that the major U.S. carriers -- who are also subject to competition from low-cost carriers with tight seating -- typically offer greater seat pitch in their regular Economy seats than BA offers in Club Europe.
wrp96, rt23456p, Ramos and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:36 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Well this thread has been an education for me, which I can only put down to the fact that I've not sat further back than an exit row on SH for many years. Those rear seats look grim and it's yet another reason to keep silver (if I am to also keep flying BA), just to ensure I never end up in one of them
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:44 pm

Comfort has definitely got worse but maybe more people should take their own cushions for the longer flights. All this is made worse by how much BA charge for the privilege of selecting a seat in advance.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:48 pm

It's a choice

I'm no longer BA loyal, even though I'm Gold.
Im savey enough to know what's a good choice, what's not.
I don't fall into the BA trap of Neo "Y" to anywhere beyond band 2.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
I can't comment on the quality of the seats, but I am constantly amazed that the major U.S. carriers -- who are also subject to competition from low-cost carriers with tight seating -- typically offer greater seat pitch in their regular Economy seats than BA offers in Club Europe.
But the market is so different over there you can't really compare like to like. I mean, I am constantly amazed that people can pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for what the carriers call domestic first but get no lounge access at all on their trip based on cabin. Some things are better and some things are worse.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 8, 2023 at 2:06 pm
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:00 pm

For the routes that went to this from the ex-BMI A321s with mid-haul CW+WT configurations, it was a complete destruction of the passenger experience. I guess it was a relatively small number of passengers driven into the hands of the competition, with the efficiency savings making it worthwhile as they'll probably be able to fill a plane with unknowing individuals for a good few years.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just to provide one further data point having experienced these seats on a LHR-HEL back in 2018. To quote @Coffeemadman ​​​ "Have only flown the seats once and it wasn’t great but wasn’t awful," I'd agree completely. Definitely something that I will avoid but not at the expense of flying from LTN or STN!
navylad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.