Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Loss of silver status withdrawal symptoms..musings

Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA

January 2 and a realization of no lounge and early seat selection and fewer avios for my upcoming trips. I need a plan.

First thought I would ride the pods for hours in never ending circles? I then thought I would search out fish and chips in a local establishment in the area? Recommendations for the best fish and chips within walking distance from Heathrow?

Health, happiness and contentment to all this coming year.

Last edited by testycal; Jan 2, 2023 at 11:57 am
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
When I dropped from Gold on both BA and SQ, I soon found the best places at airports for coffee, almond croissants and orange juice.

What's an airport lounge??
Keystone, Erwin10, HIDDY and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
I'll be bronze in 5 weeks so feel your pain. Curios to see what happens to the seat reservations on our three trips we have booked for next year, I suspect they will eventually disappear.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Consolation can be found with a BA Holiday offering double Tier Points, of course.

But otherwise, I can just about imagine the distress. Wishing you a better 2023 than it is right now.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: Mucci! And BA Silver – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 6, Bronze 4
Trust me, loss of status is not the end of the world! I am now happily retired (actually so is SWMBO) and have slowly dropped down from Gold to Bronze over the past few years.

Since we have gazillions of Avios to consume we fly pretty much always in First/Club so have all the usual things like extra baggage and lounge access. Only minor issue is seating, but if we are desperate we can always stump up a few pennies for those. I have to say I dont really notice any difference, even the erratic occasional personal greeting has faded in my memory.

So relax and go with the flow!

BA or bust

PS I should add that we have moved away from being very close to LHR so we dont always choose London Airways any more. Easyjet is remarkably good and our local regional airport (BRS) is OK, not brilliant but certainly survivable.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I think a few of us feel a little anxious about the day when we lose status, but I suspect that when you get there it won't be that bad. I've got an EZY flight in a few days because they have a much better schedule than BA on the route in question, so I can practice being non-privileged, not having priority check in etc. and I am sure I will be fine. I have also flown Air Asia a few times on intra SE Asia routes and survived that as well.

Not sure there's much in the way of good fish and chips around LHR though. I would be happy to be corrected on that, as my go to meal when staying around the Bath Road tends to be pizza or curry, so fish and chips would be a nice change.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
I'll be bronze in 5 weeks so feel your pain. Curios to see what happens to the seat reservations on our three trips we have booked for next year, I suspect they will eventually disappear.
My current flight booked prior to loss of
silver with seats chosen at time of booking are still there BUT now with a pay requirement IF I want to change.
LBA_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by testycal
My current flight booked prior to loss of
silver with seats chosen at time of booking are still there BUT now with a pay requirement IF I want to change.
I think it has been noted on here before that the seat bookings remain but as soon as there is any change to the booking (aircraft/time etc) then the seat reservation falls off. Not really an issue on short haul and the long haul we have booked is currently club world with the CS on a 777 so seat selection not important enough to pay for.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Cineworld Unlimited
Am also due in a few weeks to land down on Bronze does anyone know if there has been any success with getting an extension? I realise we already were given extensions but my place of work has only just started to resume travel from January, do you think this is something I could enquire?
Old Jan 2, 2023, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
I do sometimes wonder if I'm in a loop of flying to retain Gold, and whether I actually need to make the journeys or would do things differently if not chasing Gold every year.

I also imagine liberation from this loop could be quite refreshing, once over the initial shock.
HIDDY, DaxOmni, Tim Rowe and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:02 am

I also dropped from Silver to Bronze last year (Silver regained since). I must say I didn't miss it much, apart from the free seat selection. I find the food in BA lounges pretty poor.

I got a credit card that gives access to lounges for a small fee (Barclarycard), and if I am really early, I might use it. But otherwise, I am happy with a coffee and a pastry from one of the shops.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

If you've lost status, surely now would be the time to switch to an airline that doesn't require payment for J seat selection?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
If you've lost status, surely now would be the time to switch to an airline that doesn't require payment for J seat selection?
....not to mention the 101 other service failures BAEC status holders are always moaning about on here.

Nice to see those who have lost Gold/Silver status admit to it publically. I've noticed over the years most others just slink off never to be seen again.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
I am with you, lost silver in November. I am short of a few trips to regain silver.

But for now, on those Y Trips, I will need to ride the escalator to the south lounge, and stand outside, face to the glass,
longing for some warm gin and a tray of BA food
wyddfa and testycal like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 7:01 am

Tier points reset this morning , but still have silver status until the end of next month meaning if the lounge is open in MAN Ill at least get to use that mid feb

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.