Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to the full original text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
Brexit and Covid pointers: see post 8
Print Wikipost

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old May 10, 2023, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by thomasd21
There is no reduction in the amount due for moving a flight forward, compared to reductions of 50% if flight is cancelled but you are rebooked to arrive within 2-4 hours after original schedule. Given you were moved more than 1 hour before, you are entitled to the full cancellation compensation for the distance of the route (i.e. 220)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That also my reading of this, but if they pay 110 it will be because they didn't spot / retain information on the initial offer. It is still arguable but by all means revert when BA responds.
Thank you, both. There were 5 of us travelling together, so I have rather more incentive to claim than I normally would. I'll report back when I have a reply from BA.
Old May 12, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks to all recently who have indicated a very quick turnaround time from BA when submitting a claim. I'm not sure how to proceed as my claim for submitted 5 weeks ago and I have not had any response yet (following a 10-hour delay). Is there any way to check on the status of my claim? What would others advise, just wait it out? Thanks all
Old May 12, 2023, 3:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, SAS EBG
Originally Posted by run44
Thanks to all recently who have indicated a very quick turnaround time from BA when submitting a claim. I'm not sure how to proceed as my claim for submitted 5 weeks ago and I have not had any response yet (following a 10-hour delay). Is there any way to check on the status of my claim? What would others advise, just wait it out? Thanks all
There's no way of checking the status of your claim. If you don't receive a response within 8 weeks, the best thing to do is just to proceed straight to CEDR. That is usually the only thing that kicks BA's rear end into gear...
run44 likes this.
Old May 12, 2023, 3:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
At 8 weeks raise a claim with CEDR. If you don't want to wait any longer then you can start the MCOL process now with a Letter Before Action. And have a look upthread about what other people have done.
run44 likes this.
Old May 12, 2023, 3:56 am

No quick turnaround for us. Claim submitted 22 Feb and still waiting. Referred to CEDR a while ago.

I think its shockingly bad, they asked us to pay for hotel, car hire etc ourselves and claim it back as it was a cancellation so 24 hour delay. With compensation were waiting for over 2000.

Its really frustrating to see others saying their claims were dealt with quickly when you know yours is being ignored. They definitely dont work on the oldest cases first.
run44 likes this.
Old May 12, 2023, 3:56 am

Thank you [MENTION=73039]cws[/MENTION] and flarmip. Much appreciated
Old May 12, 2023, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Emma Heady
No quick turnaround for us. Claim submitted 22 Feb and still waiting. Referred to CEDR a while ago.

I think its shockingly bad, they asked us to pay for hotel, car hire etc ourselves and claim it back as it was a cancellation so 24 hour delay. With compensation were waiting for over 2000.

Its really frustrating to see others saying their claims were dealt with quickly when you know yours is being ignored. They definitely dont work on the oldest cases first.
They seem to use a random number generator to decide the order in which claims are dealt with! I know your frustration, it's utterly inconsistent. The fact that there aren't punitive damages or fines available for airlines that ride roughshod over UK/EU261 is one of its biggest downfalls.
thomasd21 and AutismoSupremo like this.
Old May 12, 2023, 4:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Emma Heady
One big factor is whether they can fast track a case because (a) the complaint is very short and (b) the case for compensation and/or reimbursement is clear, such as a technical fault on the aircraft.

From some MCOL cases I've seen, it's not unusual for people to send in complaints with 8,000 words - which I'm sure you didn't do here - but it's not surprising that those which are 3 sentences long get dealt with more quickly. You can sometimes make it faster by splitting the non controversial aspects (such as Right to Care) in one complaint and anything more complex in a separate complaint.
Old May 12, 2023, 6:09 am

Submitted a claim on March 30th for expenses incurred on an overnight stay organised and paid for by BA at LHR after missing an EDI connection due to a late arrival from BCN.

Paid yesterday so that's about 6 weeks.

Only forty odd quid but every little helps !!
Old May 12, 2023, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
CEDR deadline missed

Have an ongoing CEDR claim with BA, submitted 15th April. CEDR is reviewing application and had set a deadline of 10th May. They've now missed this. I imagine this is due to volume, but anyone know how long this should take at present?
AutismoSupremo likes this.
Old May 12, 2023, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by thomasd21
Have an ongoing CEDR claim with BA, submitted 15th April. CEDR is reviewing application and had set a deadline of 10th May. They've now missed this. I imagine this is due to volume, but anyone know how long this should take at present?
They mentioned 8 weeks for the claim I currently have pending. We'll see about that!

Unfortunately, short of going to MCOL (which also takes months and months to even get as far as a hearing being listed if BA defend the claim), there's no real way to prod things along any quicker.
AutismoSupremo likes this.
Old May 12, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by flarmip
They mentioned 8 weeks for the claim I currently have pending. We'll see about that!

Unfortunately, short of going to MCOL (which also takes months and months to even get as far as a hearing being listed if BA defend the claim), there's no real way to prod things along any quicker.
This is true. I submitted a claim on 15th August last year.
I have a Court hearing date set, on 15th April, for 9th August.
Old May 12, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sayling
This is true. I submitted a claim on 15th August last year.
I have a Court hearing date set, on 15th April, for 9th August.
Indeed. My claim was submitted 31 August 2022 - still waiting for a hearing date to be set by the Court.
jonr405 and sayling like this.
Old May 12, 2023, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
One big factor is whether they can fast track a case because (a) the complaint is very short and (b) the case for compensation and/or reimbursement is clear, such as a technical fault on the aircraft.

From some MCOL cases I've seen, it's not unusual for people to send in complaints with 8,000 words - which I'm sure you didn't do here - but it's not surprising that those which are 3 sentences long get dealt with more quickly. You can sometimes make it faster by splitting the non controversial aspects (such as Right to Care) in one complaint and anything more complex in a separate complaint.
I did split mine, the most simple being a damaged case, then the right to care and lastly the compensation for delayed return.

Youd think they would have at least dealt with the damaged case by now. Surely doesnt get more straightforward than that.
Old May 12, 2023, 10:54 am

Can I ask why some go through CEDR and some through MCOL?

Is it just personal preference?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.