Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to the full original text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
Brexit and Covid pointers: see post 8
Print Wikipost

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old Apr 30, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Finkface
How does one actually get BA to pay after going through CEDR? BA agreed to pay back in early March and my CEDR complaint was closed. It has now been far longer than the 20 working days they were given to pay. I am unable to reopen the case with CEDR and have emailed them as well as BA. Nothing. No response. So what do I do now? I cannot use MCOL as I am not in the UK.
Sorry for the bump but does anyone have any ideas?
Old Apr 30, 2023, 11:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Finkface
Sorry for the bump but does anyone have any ideas?
CEDR is supposed to be monitoring BA's payment process. I would give them a call on a working day (so Tuesday to Thursday this week coming).

Formally you can raise a new complaint with CEDR after 8 weeks complaining to BA about non payment. I suspect that action would get the right result. You can also complain to the CAA Consumer Team. I suspect there is some sort of glitch here, it's not the norm.
Finkface likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by dirtrat
I was just notified of approval of my BA claim for a 3.25 hour delay from SFO to FCO due to fuel pump replacement (Mechanical Issue). This caused me to miss my connecting flight in LHR. I had to spend the night at Heathrow and checked in to Sofitel. My total reimbursement was $884 just for myself. $235 was for the hotel and the remaining was for the EU261 claim. Total time to hear back from BA was about 1.5 months. They also sent me 2 Emails' telling me they were backlogged and working on my claim. Money is to be deposited in my bank account within 28 days. Overall, I'm satisfied with the resolution and just wanted to give some data points to others waiting for claims.
Im at nine weeks now, had a couple of holding emails the last being 25 March. Just submitted CEDR.

I did tweet BA and their response was to wait as theres a backlog.

Im glad yours in resolved but youd think theyd deal with oldest first. Im sure there are people whove been waiting longer than me too. Shockingly bad service, they owe me over 2000.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: QF Gold
Currently in lounge on Verona.
​​​​​​BA2596 delayed due to mechanical. No ETA.

Had a 1.5 hour window to pickup car hire (before they close)
​​​​​​
if. I'm forced to pay out of hours pickup (100) or if delayed past 12am do a walk-up at Hertz (open later than the rest) will BA cover this?

My insurance required a 4 hour delay.

Such a shame at a hub they don't have a spare aircraft :-/
Old Apr 30, 2023, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Car hire fees are a bit of a stretch for EC261, but BA have been known to pay excess charges once you get past 3 hours or after midnight. If may be more sensible to take a taxi for night one and then try to resolve with insurance tomorrow.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Told the air frames out of order. They have a single aircraft left in Gatwick today and they are waiting on ops to decide whether it will operate Verona or malaga
Old Apr 30, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Data point for anyone who waited about 3 months for a response:

My spouse and I were booked on BA991 (BER-LHR) and BA297 (LHR-ORD) on 16 Jan 2023. BA991 was cancelled after sitting on the tarmac for quite a while. We consequently missed our flight to Chicago. We did manage to get home about 12 hours late (BER-LHR-JFK/EWR-ORD). Requested compensation was the E600 for each of us, the taxi fare from JFK to EWR, and the hotel at EWR.

After a few "we're still on the case" emails, my spouse got an email on 13 Apr 2023 and I got an email on 15 Apr 2023 confirming our compensation requests. Cash hit our account on 25 Apr 2023.
Old May 1, 2023, 5:27 am

Question Am I Right.?

Hello

I just want to check my thoughts on our case.

We were due to fly from Las Vegas to Heathrow on 26th April on BA274. After sitting on plane for three hours it was cancelled due to a mechanical fault. We were told to reclaim baggage and talk to BA rep in baggage reclaim hall which we did. She said we could book into hotel at our expense and wait for flight rebooking email. She also advised we could reclaim any hotel costs, food & drink costs together with travel and phone costs.

We were rebooked to Heathrow via San Francisco. We arrived home over 24 later than originally planned.

So I have reclaimed all of above together with the 600 compensation using the online BA form. I have also claimed for the downgrading of seats from World Traveller Plus to Economy together with seat booking cost.

Should all this be reimbursed in full or should I expect resistance from BA?

Thanks in advance for help/advice.
Old May 1, 2023, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CityBlue
Should all this be reimbursed in full or should I expect resistance from BA?

Thanks in advance for help/advice.
Yes, that seems correct. As you presumably know, the downgrade to WT is a reimbursement, under Mennens, not compensation, but the rest looks ok to me and hopefully it will be paid without quibble. The downgrade makes it complicated since that has to go to the refunds team and you need to check their calculation of Mennens (using the wiki before post 1) to see if it's correct. It may not be a lot of money, depending on what you paid for the travel originally. It will also slow down payment, so I'd hope that Customer Relations will pay the other components straight away and you would then get a somewhat cryptic email when the reimbursement is made.

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA Forum.
Old May 1, 2023, 9:31 am

Thank you “Corporate Wage Slave” I’m relieved to hear it. And glad to be here!
Old May 2, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
CEDR is supposed to be monitoring BA's payment process. I would give them a call on a working day (so Tuesday to Thursday this week coming).

Formally you can raise a new complaint with CEDR after 8 weeks complaining to BA about non payment. I suspect that action would get the right result. You can also complain to the CAA Consumer Team. I suspect there is some sort of glitch here, it's not the norm.
Much appreciated. CEDR have reopened my case for non-compliance. Hopefully this won't carry on for another six months but I am certainly glad there is CEDR to take up the case.
Old May 2, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hopefully an easy one: booked on BA229 (LHR-BWI) on 1 May 2023. Checked in online, got an email an hour later to say it had been cancelled. Rebooked onto BA293 (LHR-IAD), which was delayed (due to batteries needing replacing). BA293 arrived at 21:42, rather than the 19:05 which I would have done so if coming into BWI. Presumably the compensation would be under the cancellation category for 0-3h 'delay' (so 200 euros - or whatever).
Old May 2, 2023, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CKBA
Hopefully an easy one: booked on BA229 (LHR-BWI) on 1 May 2023. Checked in online, got an email an hour later to say it had been cancelled. Rebooked onto BA293 (LHR-IAD), which was delayed (due to batteries needing replacing). BA293 arrived at 21:42, rather than the 19:05 which I would have done so if coming into BWI. Presumably the compensation would be under the cancellation category for 0-3h 'delay' (so 200 euros - or whatever).
For a cancellation (as opposed to a delay), it's technically based on scheduled time rather than actual, so I don't have enough information here. But if you got into WAS more than 2 hours late it's 260, and 520 if 4 hours late. If BA293 was more than 3 hours delayed then that would get 260. Having said that even if under 2 hours by schedule I would still claim.
Old May 2, 2023, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For a cancellation (as opposed to a delay), it's technically based on scheduled time rather than actual, so I don't have enough information here. But if you got into WAS more than 2 hours late it's 260, and 520 if 4 hours late. If BA293 was more than 3 hours delayed then that would get 260. Having said that even if under 2 hours by schedule I would still claim.
Okay.... LHR-BWI was due in at 19:05, but cancelled. The rebooked LHR-IAD was due in at 20:30, but the technical delay meant it arrrived at 21:42. So the cancellation delay would have been 1h25 late into 'WAS', but with the delay it ended up being 2h37.
Old May 2, 2023, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CKBA
Okay.... LHR-BWI was due in at 19:05, but cancelled. The rebooked LHR-IAD was due in at 20:30, but the technical delay meant it arrrived at 21:42. So the cancellation delay would have been 1h25 late into 'WAS', but with the delay it ended up being 2h37.
I would still apply, given BA's computing, but strictly speaking they should decline compensation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.