Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to the full original text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
Brexit and Covid pointers: see post 8
Print Wikipost

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old Apr 28, 2023, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The direct Right to Care costs and EC261 compensation for cancellation is something that CEDR can handle. For poor customer service, well CEDR can also rule on matters if it relates to an airline treating you unfairly, but we get almost no feedback from people who have tried that angle so I can't give much guidance as to how that works. But maybe that's the angle to try here, that BA acted unfairly and that you want some recovery for that. Another way to handle it is to focus for now on the CEDR side that is clearly EC261, and then if that gets dealt with you can still pursue BA for the customer relations side. Normally BA's stance is that if you get a EC261 payment that is BA's bundled-in customer relations remedy. The exception tends to be cases where EC261 isn't payable (e.g. bad weather) and where the passenger has had a really bad experience such as sleeping on an airport floor due to not being told / uninformed about hotels.
Thanks, I will focus on the claims and pursue the complaint once thats sorted out.

Ive only had cause to claim/complain to BA once before, when we were caught up in the IT meltdown a few years ago. Given how many people that affected at the time I guess we were lucky to have everything paid out within 4 weeks. Im shocked that it seems so many now have to resort to CEDR.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Emma Heady
I’m shocked that it seems so many now have to resort to CEDR.
I don't disagree that the number of cases CEDR will be dealing with will have increased due to the challenges faced during, and as a knock on of, the Covid pandemic, but don't forget that this thread is a focus point for things likely to end up going to CEDR.

It's a bit like joining a Facebook group for a particular car - you'll always find loads of posts in that group with people reporting issues with their cars, which might tempt you to believe the car is a nightmare to own...
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Im shocked that it seems so many now have to resort to CEDR.
I'm not. I guess somebody within BA has weighed up the cost of reputational damage vs the financial savings of making it as difficult as possible for people to collect on valid claims and just give up.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JeffBHD
I'm not. I guess somebody within BA has weighed up the cost of reputational damage vs the financial savings of making it as difficult as possible for people to collect on valid claims and just give up.
Agreed. I have friends who have arrived late and are clueless they can claim. Most would give up at the first sign of pushback
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Not having much luck this year. BA have cancelled the 202 BOS-LHR on 14 May. Theyre offering flights early in the morning or the next day. Neither are good. Can I ask to route through New York or another NA gateway. I dont mind the connection on an evening flight.
Just an update. BA are refusing to route back through JFK and insisting that I take the earlier flight in Y.
Is this right?
Does this qualify as an involuntary downgrade?
Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just an update. BA are refusing to route back through JFK and insisting that I take the earlier flight in Y.
Is this right?
Does this qualify as an involuntary downgrade?
Thanks
This doesn't sound right, or there is some factor that you haven't mentioned. There is CW availability on 14 May, both the AM flight and BA212, and plenty of AA business availablity on AA codeshared BA1540. There's also availability on the DUB service, which is also BA codeshared. And re-routing via Kennedy is allowed. Ring again.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:28 am

I’m afraid I’m slumming it in W. I was originally in J on an Avios redemption for 100k miles and 841 but when BA moved the first flight of the day to after lunchtime I cancelled it and got a W revenue ticket for just over 600. It’s a short hop after all. There is no W availability on the Boston flights and I don’t mind a connection hence the NY idea but BA have refused to do this saying I have to travel ex-BOS.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I’m afraid I’m slumming it in W. I was originally in J on an Avios redemption for 100k miles and 841 but when BA moved the first flight of the day to after lunchtime I cancelled it and got a W revenue ticket for just over 600. It’s a short hop after all. There is no W availability on the Boston flights and I don’t mind a connection hence the NY idea but BA have refused to do this saying I have to travel ex-BOS.
Always useful to get the specifics. There is one seat in W on the morning service. They should also be able to offer BA1735 BOS to JFK, then BA174 JFK to LHR in WTP. Routing via JFK is allowed, so long as you start from BOS. And there are other options too. So I'm still struggling to understand what you have been told. If you do go in WT then as ever make sure you ask BA to update the PNR to state you are accepting this under protest.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Always useful to get the specifics. There is one seat in W on the morning service. They should also be able to offer BA1735 BOS to JFK, then BA174 JFK to LHR in WTP. Routing via JFK is allowed, so long as you start from BOS. And there are other options too. So I'm still struggling to understand what you have been told. If you do go in WT then as ever make sure you ask BA to update the PNR to state you are accepting this under protest.
I think as this is a cancellation, there can be a change of gateway here to JFK without needing to start in BOS, as theyre less than 300 miles apart
Old Apr 28, 2023, 12:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
change of gateway to JFK and the OP making their own way there, or simply a reroute to BOS-JFK-LHR should both be fine.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:04 pm

That’s what I’ve been trying to tell them but four now have said no go! Fifth time lucky!
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Thats what Ive been trying to tell them but four now have said no go! Fifth time lucky!
Are you being given any reason? Have you asked to escalate to a supervisor? Are you quoting their own policies to them?
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:38 pm

I doubt it makes much difference. After all if you submit it all over again BA in some form or another also has to process it all over again. In law it's the operator that's responsible, so in most cases it will be BA, but I don't think it's something that will be quibbled.
Ive been sorting my application today and the difference between BA and BA Holidays seems to be the cost.

The BA one says about charging 25 if youre unsuccessful whereas the BA holidays one says cost is 109-210.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Ive been sorting my application today and the difference between BA and BA Holidays seems to be the cost.

The BA one says about charging 25 if youre unsuccessful whereas the BA holidays one says cost is 109-210.
There isn't a single report of this ever being charged, even from avid of our more avid applicants. Make sure you aren't looking at the ABTA scheme, which isn't CEDR.
Emma Heady likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:45 pm

There isn't a single report of this ever being charged, even from avid of our more avid applicants. Make sure you aren't looking at the ABTA scheme, which isn't CEDR.
The BA holidays form want bank details to make payment.

Im looking here https://www.cedr.com/consumer/holidays/packageholidays/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.