Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to the full original text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
Brexit and Covid pointers: see post 8
Print Wikipost

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old Apr 10, 2023, 6:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by redsailor
i arrived too late to make the 1400 flight to NCL so rather than wait for the the 2050 flight I’ve decided to take the train up north. Can I cancel my LHR-NCL flight and get a refund for that portion or alternatively move it to a later date? From reading the first few posts of this thread I think both options are possible?
I guess in theory you can have a part refund on LHR-NCL, given the delay being over 5 hours. The rebooking option to a later date should also be possible, provided you're not marked as a no-show. Did you ask for a LNER ticket swap? BA can reticket on to LNER.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I guess in theory you can have a part refund on LHR-NCL, given the delay being over 5 hours. The rebooking option to a later date should also be possible, provided you're not marked as a no-show. Did you ask for a LNER ticket swap? BA can reticket on to LNER.
Thanks and no I didnt - I didnt know that was an option.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by redsailor
Thanks and no I didnt - I didnt know that was an option.
In which case you may want to bookmark this thread, it's also in the dashboard:

Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know
redsailor likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:34 am

So claim made for a flight on 20/10/22 GLA-LHR-VCE. There had been a weather delay but real issue was due to ground delays in Heathrow which meant I was out of conformance by 5 minutes.

Claim submitted to BA 20/10, no response so went to CEDR on 20/12/22. Nothing from BA at this point.

Thanks to the knowledge on this forum provided them with date stamped photos and explanations given by Flight deck and cabin crew that delay was due to no gate, no guidance no one to put jetway in place.

In February BA rejected my claim.
​​​​​​
Today CEDR confirmed BA had agreed to my claim for 350.

And yes I do also now that the correct way to exit T5 is through the train to 5C and back through the border

Thanks again for the help here especially CWS.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:48 pm

Hello All - Hoping for some advice and confirming if my sister's strange ordeal is eligible for some sort of compensation

Please see experience below in her words

I was on flight BA172 on March 22 from JFK to LHR which was delayed. Upon getting to B gates security to catch my connection BA 75 LHR to LOS I was told I had missed the deadline due to the delay and rescheduled for BA 75 the following day (March 24).

On March 24, I checked into flight BA 75 successfully. I asked about a paid upgrade but decided against it and joked with the check in agent about using the cash for duty free shopping instead. There were no lines at the first wing so I was through security very quickly. I got to the boarding gate and was told I was unable to board as I had allegedly called to be taken off the flight. This happened after I had already gone through security

The issue was escalated but no one could figure out what was going on in time to make the flight. Upon pressing further - the request was made via live chat (never knew BA had this feature) and my alleged travel companion had disclosed I would not be making the flight due to an injury sustained on my way from South Africa and he will be sending paperwork to BA as proof that I am unfit to fly. BA claims the person passed all security checks

Thing is I had no travel companion on my booking as I was flying alone. Also I was flying in from NYC not South Africa and I never received an email or any notification from BA confirming that I had indeed changed my booking. I asked the agents at the gate and customer service for a copy of this live chat and they were unable to provide it for me. After a couple hours, I was eventually rebooked once again for the same flight the following day (March 25) and landed in LOS 48 hours after my initial scheduled flight

This whole ordeal is very strange. I can’t tell if this is some sort of BA IT error or something worse like a data breach. The manager at the gate asked if I was an influencer or if for whatever reason someone did not want me to travel. Seemed like a silly way to push blame because If that was the case and my details got into the wrong hands, I imagine it is much easier to simply cancel a booking on MBB than it is spend time talking to BA, going through security questions as was claimed to change a booking for sometime in the future. It makes no sense

Would love any thoughts / advice on how to proceed with this

Many thanks

Last edited by BX1276; Apr 10, 2023 at 1:49 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 10, 2023, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BX1276
Hello All - Hoping for some advice and confirming if my sister's strange ordeal is eligible for some sort of compensation
Indeed an unusual tale, I'm not sure I've seen anything like this. For the first cancellation to Lagos, the key issue is that you need to be at Flight Connections 35 minutes to departure or you will get offloaded. If the reason for the delay from New York was BA related then you may be able to get delay compensation for that, depending on the cause of the delay. The flight deck will advise the reason for the delay in their pre-flight briefing before departure from NYC. So depending on circumstances and timing then that may be in itself eligible for compensation. That's quite a normal scenario.

The second scenario is not. I like to think I've seen everything here before, but not in this case. My best interpretation is that there was some element of truth in the Chat dialogue but the agent mistakenly pulled up the wrong PNR and altered the wrong person's details. This to me looks like Involuntary Denied Boarding and is also eligible for compensation. Because it's unrelated to the first cancellation it is in theory possible to get 2 lots of compensation but I've never found a case where BA has volunteered that, they usually regard it as one travel "experience" and may well pay one lot of compensation but not two.

So yes, your sister should go to the Portal,
ba.com/complaints
and enter in 2 claims, one for the first delay, the other for IDB, making it clear that the reason for IDB had nothing to do with you. After 8 weeks take the matter to CEDR, more details upthread.
salut0 and BX1276 like this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Data Point - Claims accepted 4 months after submission.

Just a data point.

I finally received communication from BA regarding EC261 claims submitted around 20th December.

Both claims have been excepted - BA238 cnx due to lack of crew and BA212 cnx due to flight plan melt down, EC261 payment in full for both plus all DOC expenses paid, my daughters identical claims also now accepted by BA and payment within 21 days. I had submitted CEDR claims for these but as they have not yet been accepted by CEDR formally I don't believe that has had any impact on the outcome, I guess BA have just got round to them, so just shy of 4 months from submission to response.

I did also raise our VS denied boarding fiasco with them as they ticketed it, unsurprisingly they are blaming VS however coughed up 10K avios for the hassle, as VS and BA are blaming each other for that I'm going to chance my arm with CEDR and see if they can sort it out.

Edit: Seems VS aren't part of CEDR so logged an ADR instead, new one to me but guess very similar!
salut0 likes this.

Last edited by tuonopepper; Apr 12, 2023 at 2:36 am
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:00 am

Many Thanks once again

I'll be sure to share an update - Although I imagine it will take weeks
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by BX1276

Please see experience below in her words

I was on flight BA172 on March 22 from JFK to LHR which was delayed. Upon getting to B gates security to catch my connection BA 75 LHR to LOS I was told I had missed the deadline due to the delay and rescheduled for BA 75 the following day (March 24).

On March 24, I checked into flight BA 75 successfully. I asked about a paid upgrade but decided against it and joked with the check in agent about using the cash for duty free shopping instead. There were no lines at the first wing so I was through security very quickly. I got to the boarding gate and was told I was unable to board as I had allegedly called to be taken off the flight. This happened after I had already gone through security

The issue was escalated but no one could figure out what was going on in time to make the flight. Upon pressing further - the request was made via live chat (never knew BA had this feature) and my alleged travel companion had disclosed I would not be making the flight due to an injury sustained on my way from South Africa and he will be sending paperwork to BA as proof that I am unfit to fly. BA claims the person passed all security checks

Thing is I had no travel companion on my booking as I was flying alone. Also I was flying in from NYC not South Africa and I never received an email or any notification from BA confirming that I had indeed changed my booking. I asked the agents at the gate and customer service for a copy of this live chat and they were unable to provide it for me. After a couple hours, I was eventually rebooked once again for the same flight the following day (March 25) and landed in LOS 48 hours after my initial scheduled flight

This whole ordeal is very strange. I cant tell if this is some sort of BA IT error or something worse like a data breach. The manager at the gate asked if I was an influencer or if for whatever reason someone did not want me to travel. Seemed like a silly way to push blame because If that was the case and my details got into the wrong hands, I imagine it is much easier to simply cancel a booking on MBB than it is spend time talking to BA, going through security questions as was claimed to change a booking for sometime in the future. It makes no sense

Would love any thoughts / advice on how to proceed with this

Many thanks
I'd certainly be making an ask for all data BA hold on me, incl communications had, that may shed some light on this mystery chat conversation.
salut0 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 11:33 am

I missed connection flight. BA offered voucher for obscure hotel+bus. I asked 3 times for a room in Sofitel. Their final answer:“There are no rooms available in Sofitel” so I accepted the vouchers. The hourly bus 20:00 didn’t show up. Instead waiting till 21:00 I went to Sofitel and… surprise they had a basic room which I booked. Can I claim my Sofitel expense ?
Old Apr 11, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Londonlover
I missed connection flight. BA offered voucher for obscure hotel+bus. I asked 3 times for a room in Sofitel. Their final answer:There are no rooms available in Sofitel so I accepted the vouchers. The hourly bus 20:00 didnt show up. Instead waiting till 21:00 I went to Sofitel and surprise they had a basic room which I booked. Can I claim my Sofitel expense ?
Dont know the answer to your specific question but it occurs to me that next time Id call the Sofitel while standing next to the BA customer service desk and confirm that indeed they were full before accepting their claim. Of course perhaps they meant that the block of discounted rooms which Sofitel make available to us is full but that doesnt mean that the hotel itself is full. But thats just speculation on my part
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Can I claim my Sofitel expense ?
Yes, and I would expect it to be paid. Don't use the Hoppa next time, just take the TfL service (and use this forum if you aren't sure which service). And bookmark this thread if there is a next time, you can sort your own hotel out.

Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know
Londonlover likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:26 pm

Another data point:

- claim submitted 25 March
- response confirming EU261 payable 29 March
- funds in bank account 4 April
Old Apr 12, 2023, 2:41 am

I missed connection flight. BA offered voucher for obscure hotel+bus. I asked 3 times for a room in Sofitel. Their final answer:There are no rooms available in Sofitel so I accepted the vouchers. The hourly bus 20:00 didnt show up. Instead waiting till 21:00 I went to Sofitel and surprise they had a basic room which I booked. Can I claim my Sofitel expense ?
You didn't use the voucher so id expect this to be OK, not sure if they record who gets vouchers etc though which could complicate. TBH when such sitiations arise i just get online and book a hotel, usually the closest I can find that's not silly money, then jump in a taxi. I've never had any issue getting the costs back.
Londonlover likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FlyingBlue Gold
A little question for those with more experience: I flew US-LHR-EU yesterday/today. Five hours before the US departure I received an e-mail that my LHR-EU afternoon flight was cancelled and I was offered to accept to be rebooked on the evening flight which I of course accepted. That evening flight arrived at my final destination with a small delay and the total delay compared to my original itinerary was a little over 4 hours. I should get the compensation for this right (except there are some valid extreme circumstances)? Is the compensation calculated based on the US-EU distance (>3500 km) or the LHR-EU destination? How do i make the claim correctly, in the claims web interface i can only select the new rebooked flight and not the cancelled original flight or the entire US-EU route. - Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.