Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to the full original text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
Brexit and Covid pointers: see post 8
Print Wikipost

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:00 pm
  #571  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 65,009
Originally Posted by Jordi14
Is this valid for a claim ? Or is this out of their control because of the 'strikes'.
I doubt this would get far. It could be argued if you had the patience to do so, but in essence the HAL strike makes it difficult to make a claim and BA certainly won't be paying up if they can avoid it.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:59 pm
  #572  
HNS
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: Flying Blue, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Delta SkyMiles
Posts: 107
I had a LHR-CDG flight tomorrow morning and received a cancellation notice an hour ago, 15 hours before the flight. The alternative I’ve been offered lands in Paris late in the evening.

If I understand correctly, this would allow me to claim 220£ in compensation, as the flight was cancelled in under 7 days and the landing time is later than 2 hours compared to the cancelled flight. Have I got this right?

The alternative would be to ask them to rebook me
on an AF flight that would land 20 mins later than the cancelled flight.


rebooked and will claim comp. This post can be deleted (or not)

Last edited by HNS; Mar 28, 2023 at 2:44 pm
HNS is offline  
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:56 pm
  #573  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 7,901
Originally Posted by HNS
I had a LHR-CDG flight tomorrow morning and received a cancellation notice an hour ago, 15 hours before the flight. The alternative I’ve been offered lands in Paris late in the evening.

If I understand correctly, this would allow me to claim 220£ in compensation, as the flight was cancelled in under 7 days and the landing time is later than 2 hours compared to the cancelled flight. Have I got this right?

The alternative would be to ask them to rebook me
on an AF flight that would land 20 mins later than the cancelled flight.


rebooked and will claim comp. This post can be deleted (or not)
The cancellation is most likely due to French ATC strikes. If so, no compensation is due.


Scheduled Airport Strikes in France: The Direction Générale d’Aviation Civile (DGAC) has announced flight delays and cancellations in Paris Orly Airport (ORY), Paris Charles-de-Gaulle Airport (CDG), and the main airports in France.
Update: air traffic will be disrupted again on 25-26-27 March 2023. The disruptions will continue on 28 March 2023 as part of the general National Strike and on 29-30-31 March 2023.
Finkface is offline  
Old Mar 28, 2023, 8:58 pm
  #574  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Scotland
Posts: 177
I had a booking of 3 flights, UK domestic followed by two internationals (all one one booking)

First flight was cancelled due to ATC restrictions at LHR because of weather. The flight had been cancelled the day previous, but no notification received. I only found out once at the airport. At that point, no other flight/seat was available to link up with my onward connections so I had to travel the following day

If i had received notification of the cancellation, I could have rebooked on 2 other flights which would have made my onward connections.

I understand the reason for the cancellation, but am annoyed at not being told and being able to put a different plan into action in time.

Is EU261 payable on this or not?
wcel is offline  
Old Mar 28, 2023, 10:45 pm
  #575  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BRU
Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Posts: 4,325
I just wanted to give an update of the outcome of my early afternoon LHR-BRU cancellation on 12 March, due to staff issues.
I submitted a claim for compensation the day after, received a positive answer after ca. 3 days and the money arrived in the bank account 12 days later.

As usual, thanks for all the help.
stifle, LCSinTexas and wcel like this.
Lefly is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2023, 12:08 am
  #576  
HNS
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: Flying Blue, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Delta SkyMiles
Posts: 107
Originally Posted by Finkface
The cancellation is most likely due to French ATC strikes. If so, no compensation is due.


Scheduled Airport Strikes in France: The Direction Générale d’Aviation Civile (DGAC) has announced flight delays and cancellations in Paris Orly Airport (ORY), Paris Charles-de-Gaulle Airport (CDG), and the main airports in France.
Update: air traffic will be disrupted again on 25-26-27 March 2023. The disruptions will continue on 28 March 2023 as part of the general National Strike and on 29-30-31 March 2023.
thanks for sharing that. There is an AF flight at about the same time which wasn’t cancelled, as well as several others from other countries that are landing there just fine. The flight was cancelled 15 hours before takeoff, strikes were announced way before that

is there anyone who can help find out the cancellation reason for BA308 on the 29th of March?

Last edited by HNS; Mar 29, 2023 at 12:17 am
HNS is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2023, 12:37 am
  #577  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,483
Originally Posted by HNS
thanks for sharing that. There is an AF flight at about the same time which wasn’t cancelled, as well as several others from other countries that are landing there just fine. The flight was cancelled 15 hours before takeoff, strikes were announced way before that

is there anyone who can help find out the cancellation reason for BA308 on the 29th of March?
As previously alluded to, the code is INDN with the remarks “FRENCH ATC STRIKE”. There are a number of capacity reduction mandates in force.
Sigwx is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:53 am
  #578  
HNS
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: Flying Blue, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Delta SkyMiles
Posts: 107
Originally Posted by Sigwx
As previously alluded to, the code is INDN with the remarks “FRENCH ATC STRIKE”. There are a number of capacity reduction mandates in force.
thank you. Sorry to push this further, I just checked CDG’s arrivals page around the time BA308 was supposed to land and between 12:00-18:00, the only two flights cancelled are BA308 and BA316. I’m not saying there aren’t strikes, but I don’t understand how the capacity reduction mandate applies only to BA
HNS is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:50 am
  #579  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,483
Originally Posted by HNS
thank you. Sorry to push this further, I just checked CDG’s arrivals page around the time BA308 was supposed to land and between 12:00-18:00, the only two flights cancelled are BA308 and BA316. I’m not saying there aren’t strikes, but I don’t understand how the capacity reduction mandate applies only to BA
Because the capacity is a percentage of the operators total daily rotations. It applies to all operators and is over a stated 24 hour period, in the case of the applicable notam (F0517/23) it is for a period of two consecutive days. There is a new notam that supersedes this one and now covers later dates.

https://www.public.nm.eurocontrol.in...pec/index.html
stifle, HNS and DiamondMile like this.
Sigwx is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:17 am
  #580  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Southampton, UK
Programs: UA, BA
Posts: 99
Datapoint: AGP-LGW cancellation Feb 17th, 4 passengers. No reason given (email cancellation) but couldn't see any others cancelled. Auto-rebooked for following day to LHR (...). (Made our own way home on Easyjet, got back slightly earlier than scheduled in fact.)
Applied for compensation 4x£350 Feb 18th. Response March 23rd accepting claim, money will arrive by back transfer.

Probably could have pushed for them to put us on the Easyjet flight but it was "tight" at AGP as it was and no time to find a BA agent, queues everywhere. Did get the cancelled BA flight refunded so came out well ahead.

Conclusion: 1) Easyjet are pretty good, could consider them again; 2) You need the 2h at AGP if flying with them - check-in, security, immigration was a lot of lining up! Too used to BA silver.
ms294 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2023, 5:05 am
  #581  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 65,009
Originally Posted by wcel
I understand the reason for the cancellation, but am annoyed at not being told and being able to put a different plan into action in time.

Is EU261 payable on this or not?
Generally not. You didn't provide the date, but if it was one of those bad weather days a few weeks ago then genuinely the weather forecast was in the "could go either way" category and there wasn't a lot of warning of poor conditions. BA won't give you EC261 willingly if that is the background. You could still take it to CEDR since the "all reasonable measures" is quite powerful in terms of consumer protection.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:41 pm
  #582  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Scotland
Posts: 177
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You could still take it to CEDR since the "all reasonable measures" is quite powerful in terms of consumer protection.
Thanks C-W-S

Does 'all reasonable measures' include a seat in a different class if available?
wcel is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:54 pm
  #583  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 65,009
Originally Posted by wcel
Thanks C-W-S

Does 'all reasonable measures' include a seat in a different class if available?
In terms of EC261 rebooking, no, I'm not aware of anything that would help. BA and airlines generally are usually ok to downgrade someone on their request, and sometimes upgrades happen due to the need to get other people onboard. BA does factor in some degree of overbooking in all classes, but if it's sold out then that usually means they have squeezed as many people on as they can.
wcel likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2023, 5:56 pm
  #584  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 35
Understanding EU261

I just completed a 10-day trip to Italy flying from SFO to Rome with a Layover/connecting flight in London. My round-trip Business class Tickets were bought through American Airlines flying with British Airways (Codeshare). My flight departing SFO was delayed 3 hours and 15 minutes because of a plane mechanical issue, and this caused me to miss my connecting flight in London. As a result of this, British Airways rebooked me on a plane the next morning to Rome at 7:00 AM and I had to spend the night in London at my expense. BA has told me I can request hotel reimbursement through their website. I was wondering if I can also claim reimbursement on this under the EU216 rules for having this flight delayed over 3 hours. I see where there is an option on BA's website to do this also. Does anyone have any experience with this and BA ?
dirtrat is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2023, 6:00 pm
  #585  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 65,009
Yes, that looks like a plausible claim to me. Here is the main thread on the topic.

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261
corporate-wage-slave is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.