Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to the full original text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
Brexit and Covid pointers: see post 8
Print Wikipost

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Old Oct 27, 2023, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
I think you can cancel the flight, but BA wouldn't refund the hotel or train ticket costs
Old Oct 27, 2023, 9:10 am

Any space on the easyjet flight that BA can rebook you onto? Or book it yourself to save the weekend and take the compo from BA (if it qualifies)?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by Above
I think you can cancel the flight, but BA wouldn't refund the hotel or train ticket costs
Would that be where the OP's travel insurance policy comes in?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by KingCanute
Any space on the easyjet flight that BA can rebook you onto? Or book it yourself to save the weekend and take the compo from BA (if it qualifies)?
Of course that didn't come up in EF so I didn't see it. I think now we wouldn't make it as it departs at 6pm and we are an hour from LGW. I also couldn't face then spending the evening trying to contact BA to protect our return journey on Sunday.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Yes
Old Oct 27, 2023, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Yup it would seem so. HSBC Premier so let's see how good that turns out to be!

I am holding off as I research but I assume I just now need to cancel the BA rebooked flight,get a refund for that and then start a separate UK261 claim?

Sometimes the experts on here can see the reason for the cancellation - does anyone know how you do that? I am assuming tech or more likely crew issues; the plane due to operate the flight G-GATM is on its way back to LGW on schedule as we speak.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
If it were me I would still fly tomorrow.
The cancelled flight tonight only got you into Nice at 10pm tonight.
The rebooked flight gets you to Nice at 9.25am tomorrow morning so not much of the day lost.
BA would have to pick up the cost of your hotel at Gatwick tonight under duty care, plus meals so Id definitely make the most of my planned weekend.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by aristoph

I am holding off as I research but I assume I just now need to cancel the BA rebooked flight,get a refund for that and then start a separate UK261 claim?

Sometimes the experts on here can see the reason for the cancellation - does anyone know how you do that? I am assuming tech or more likely crew issues; the plane due to operate the flight G-GATM is on its way back to LGW on schedule as we speak.
I'm fairly sure if you cancel and refund then you cant then claim for EC261 Compensation.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by gcuk
If it were me I would still fly tomorrow.
The cancelled flight tonight only got you into Nice at 10pm tonight.
The rebooked flight gets you to Nice at 9.25am tomorrow morning so not much of the day lost.
BA would have to pick up the cost of your hotel at Gatwick tonight under duty care, plus meals so Id definitely make the most of my planned weekend.
Erm, thanks but no thanks.
The plan was a leisurely afternoon trip to LGW; champagne and food in the First Lounge; more champagne in CE etc etc. arriving at a civilised time given how close the city is to NCE.
WIth BA's rebooking I would have to spend the night at LGW; get up at 430am; no lounge; no champagne for me with breakfast; land at NCE 930am totally zonked and not be ready to hit the city until lunchtime.

Does anyone know how to find the reason code for the cancellation? It no longer shows on EF I think.
Crubber likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 10:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

This is your thread for guidance:
Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know

You should first ask BA to rebook you on to easyJet, which they will be unable to do, at which point you can ask for the LGW - NCE to be removed from tomorrow's flight, do not ask for a refund. Ask instead for the NCE-LGW sector to be protected. When you have fnished travelling then it's the EC261 thread for Right to Care, cancel compensation and rebooking costs delta. The exception is if easyJet is so much cheaper that you best cancel BA altogether and just get BA's refund.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by 221129
I'm fairly sure if you cancel and refund then you cant then claim for EC261 Compensation.
Ok this is why I haven't done anything yet. I am confused.

But surely this can't be true? BA has moved my flight by 11 hours, overnight. If I accept their change I won't get a refund. If I reject the change, yes I have to "cancel" the rebooked flight but it was still BA that cancelled my original flight.

If you're right I am in catch 22 but I suspect you're not....
Old Oct 27, 2023, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is your thread for guidance:
Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know

You should first ask BA to rebook you on to easyJet, which they will be unable to do, at which point you can ask for the LGW - NCE to be removed from tomorrow's flight, do not ask for a refund. Ask instead for the NCE-LGW sector to be protected. When you have fnished travelling then it's the EC261 thread for Right to Care, cancel compensation and rebooking costs delta. The exception is if easyJet is so much cheaper that you best cancel BA altogether and just get BA's refund.
But I no longer want to go c-w-s. We wouldn't have made the EZY flight and I don't want to leave at 630am tomorrow, for the reasons above.

What should I do in these circumstances? If I can cancel do I really lose the right to UK261? That would seem to make the legislation pointless - BA can just cancel 3 hours before take off, offer a reroute at at time of its choosing and not pay compensation if the re-route doesn't work for me.

Thanks.

Last edited by aristoph; Oct 27, 2023 at 10:35 am
Old Oct 27, 2023, 10:28 am

But I no longer want to go c-w-s. We wouldn't have made the EZY flight and I don't want to leave at 630am tomorrow, for the reasons above.

What should I do in these circumstances?

Thanks.
if you no longer wish to travel, then you can cancel for a refund of the flights. There is no EC261 Compensation on top of it. Just a full refund of the flights.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by 221129
if you no longer wish to travel, then you can cancel for a refund of the flights. There is no EC261 Compensation on top of it. Just a full refund of the flights.
This is simply incorrect. The flight has been cancelled (not delayed). The only relevant question for comp purposes now is whether extraordinary circumstances apply.
aristoph, KARFA and sammyg901 like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
This is simply incorrect. The flight has been cancelled (not delayed). The only relevant question for comp purposes now is whether extraordinary circumstances apply.
Yes, 221129's comments confused me too. If they are right the legislation is pointless: airline cancels; you can accept their change; or not, and just get your money back.

If we are all so confused on here, God help the general public!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.