Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Jul 27, 2023, 11:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sonomawine
July 27th BA285 (LHR-SFO) was canceled. Does anyone know why?
Apologies I didn't spot that BA cancellation, the only one today. It will be for resource shortages and claimable.

BA will be sending out 334 flights today from LHR.
sonomawine likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 10:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
27 July 2023 - update
In addition to SFO, the late JER was cancelled:

BA1348 JER - WEAN
weather so not claimable.

28 July 2023
Quite a few cancellations today:

BA005 HND - B789 - lack of resources, claimable
BA117 JFK - B772
BA1472 GLA
BA446 AGP
BA1452 EDI
BA181 EWR - B78X
I suspect they are all claimable. BA will be sending 325 other flights out from LHR today.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
27 July 2023 - update
In addition to SFO, the late JER was cancelled:

BA1348 JER - WEAN
weather so not claimable.

28 July 2023
Quite a few cancellations today:

BA005 HND - B789 - lack of resources, claimable
BA117 JFK - B772
BA1472 GLA
BA446 AGP
BA1452 EDI
BA181 EWR - B78X
I suspect they are all claimable. BA will be sending 325 other flights out from LHR today.

BA2277 LGW-LAS cancelled..... lack of aircraft?
Old Jul 29, 2023, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Saturday 29 July 2023

The following are today's short notice cancellations from LHR.
BA197 IAH -B78X
BA157 KWI - B78X
I would assume that both are claimable. Otherwise 312 departures from LHR today.
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Today's inbound BA228 (BWI-LHR) delayed resulting from yesterday's diverted/late incoming BA229 due to weather, which in turn was late due to inbound BA224 MSY-LHR being late, as well as BA switching the aircraft from the on-time incoming BA242 (MEX-LHR) to the one from MSY.
BA229 on 28 July was diverted to PHL due to 'unforecast storms' and insufficient fuel (presumably for any hold/further diversion. However, I would note that if the plane had been on time, it most likely would have landed ahead of the weather - and oddly, diverting to PHL put it in the path of the storms - PHL then having a ground stop too).
Overall, a string of unintended consequences.

Last edited by CKBA; Jul 29, 2023 at 2:05 pm
Old Jul 29, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: Avios, Virgin, IHG
BA2870 LGW-IBZ 24th July cancelled

Hi,

our flight was cancelled at 1am Monday morning when we were due to head to the airport at 6am, we caught the email at 3am and started looking for options.

I managed to get the last 2 seats on a BA flight to ALC in CE on avios for 06:15 departure then I paid for a Vueling flight to get to Ibiza within an hour of the original flight.

I cancelled the IBZ flight once sat on the ALC.

Thereís no one at LGW to help anymore or get answers off. The ALC crew didnít know why IBZ was cancelled.

does anyone have any info to support a claim and our refund for the Vueling flight as the only BA flight offer for us didnít work.

Thank you
Old Jul 29, 2023, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pointtopoint79
I cancelled the IBZ flight once sat on the ALC.
Hopefully you didn't cancel it for a refund, see the main EC261 thread. Generally LGW cancellations have been shortage of crew or shortage of equipment. So generally claimable for EC261 in terms of compensation, but you shouldn't cancel if you want to be rebooked or claim the fare difference.
Pointtopoint79 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: Avios, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Hopefully you didn't cancel it for a refund, see the main EC261 thread. Generally LGW cancellations have been shortage of crew or shortage of equipment. So generally claimable for EC261 in terms of compensation, but you shouldn't cancel if you want to be rebooked or claim the fare difference.
Hi CWS,

Thanks for the reply.

FR24 shows the aircraft was planned for our IBZ sector but was sent to Greece instead? Hmmm

As it was 3am and I couldnít contact BA for help and the offered flight didnít work for as we would have lost a day of our holiday. I had to snap up the only 2 seats on the only BA flight heading to Spain where we could connect onwards with seats.

we booked CE on avios and amazingly the 2 CE ALC seats that were selling for £1000 sub 3 hours to departure were available on avios, so I booked them, then clicked cancel the original flight so I could get my 45,000 avios back for flight 1.

it was very stressful and no one could help at that time of the morning, LGW was chaos at 5am, we only made the flight as we went to Gold / first check in and asked for help. I had to make a snap decision to get us on our way.

Will that cause an issue going forward?

As long as I donít lose out money wise, if they donít pay for the vueling flight but get the comp, itíll cover the short stay emergency parking and vueling flight :-)

a cancellation while youíre asleep is a tough one to deal with.

weíre back now as it was a short trip before we become 3 in September so every min counted on that trip to relax.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pointtopoint79
As long as I donít lose out money wise, if they donít pay for the vueling flight but get the comp, itíll cover the short stay emergency parking and vueling flight :-)
Hopefully there isn't a next time, but keep this thread bookmarked since it would have given some ideas as to what to do:
Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know
Specifically on how to rebook (ring Hong Kong / Singapore / Japan - or the India office which is open 24 hours) and to avoid using your Avios. BA should have done the work for you here. If in doubt, raise a thread in FT, there is usually someone online who can give correct advice. I still think you should claim for the Vueling flight, and go to CEDR if necessary since if you were not aware of the other Contact Centres you would indeed be unable to book and therefore able to book yourself and reclaim as per EC261 and the CAA guidance. I guess you have a choice open to you: if you are happy with the Avios workaround + cancellation compensation and just want the cash back then that's fine; the alternative is to pursue BA to make you whole (so refunding Avios and paying for Vueling). The first option will be easy and not challenged, I would expect BA to refuse the second option now, if you applied for a cancel-refund.

I've answered this here, given the context but the EC261 thread gives more advice and would be better for any follow-up.
Pointtopoint79 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 10:29 pm

Just got notification en route to airport that BA165 LHR-TLV has been cancelled. Any clue as to the reason?

Rebooked automatically on tomorrow evening flight which is not ideal. Have not accepted new flight yet. Just about to get to T5 and going to see if we can be put on LY or VS today..
Old Jul 30, 2023, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Sunday 30 July 2023

Quite a few LHR cancellations today, I would expect all of these to be claimable
BA269 LAX - B77W
BA189 EWR - B78X
BA207 MIA - A388
BA165 TLV - B788

Otherwise 320 BA departures from LHR today.
4sallypat likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:01 am

I was booked on 188 from EWR today and it was canceled. I've rebooked onto a flight out of JFK this evening. Is transportation from EWR to JFK eligible for compensation from BA?
Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:07 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by sccaflagger74
I was booked on 188 from EWR today and it was canceled. I've rebooked onto a flight out of JFK this evening. Is transportation from EWR to JFK eligible for compensation from BA?
yes, even if BA say they won't cover it they are obliged to, for a reasonable cost, keep the receipt and submit it after the flight
Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
yes, even if BA say they won't cover it they are obliged to, for a reasonable cost, keep the receipt and submit it after the flight
Thank you.

I was thinking of taking transit, but that means 4 trains plus a bus from the parking lot, all of those transfers are a bit ridiculous. There are 2 of us so transit will be about $60. Would an Uber qualify as reasonable cost?

EDIT: Did a forums search and others have reported BA paying for Uber so we'll do that. 4 transfers with bags (and different 3 fare systems) is not my idea of fun.
sammyg901 likes this.

Last edited by sccaflagger74; Jul 30, 2023 at 6:28 am
Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sccaflagger74
Thank you.

I was thinking of taking transit, but that means 4 trains plus a bus from the parking lot, all of those transfers are a bit ridiculous. There are 2 of us so transit will be about $60. Would an Uber qualify as reasonable cost?
Yes
sccaflagger74 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.