Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Jun 15, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Platinum,
Anyone know why BA66 PHL to LHR has been continuously cancelled for the past week and looks to be cancelled for the next week? Looks like only the codeshare AA flights are going. Typically there was 1 a day on BA. thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Originally Posted by asll001
Anyone know why BA66 PHL to LHR has been continuously cancelled for the past week and looks to be cancelled for the next week? Looks like only the codeshare AA flights are going. Typically there was 1 a day on BA. thanks.
Explanation here. I'm due to fly on the 20th and no cancellation here
Old Jun 15, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Platinum,
good luck. I am on it later this summer and already got downgraded from the new club world suites to the old 2-4-2. brutal!
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Originally Posted by asll001
good luck. I am on it later this summer and already got downgraded from the new club world suites to the old 2-4-2. brutal!
Yes that's my config but they offered an OK priced F upgrade. So...
Old Jun 16, 2023, 2:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Today's cancellation, Friday 16 June 2023

BA600 CFU
BA710 ZRH
BA348 NCE
BA480 BCN
BA1484 GLA
BA1474 GLA
BA474 BCN

Normally all of the above would be eligible for EC261 since their cancellations will be crew or equipment shortage. At a a guess CFU and ZRH are crew shortage, the others equipment shortage.
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Yesterday I was ticketed on one of the cancelled flights:
LHR/NCL BA 1324 15 Jun 0735 (TECY)

My rebooking for Sunday has now been scratched by BA too:
LHR/NCL BA1326 18 Jun 0815

Is it possible to know the reason for this cancellation which has 2.5 days notice?

Thanks again for your help.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: BA
BA782 (LHR-ARN) 23 June 23 - reason for cancellation

Hi everyone,

Iím just wondering if anyone can share the reason for the cancellation of this flight - Iíve just been notified 7 days and 90 minutes in advance so would be good to know if I can claim compensation from the reroute.

I think the alternative flight they can offer me departs about 3.5 hours earlier so I think it does attract compensation.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 16, 2023, 10:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Does anyone know if todayís BA908 is on its way to FRA yet. It is horribly delayed
Old Jun 16, 2023, 10:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Herts81
I think the alternative flight they can offer me departs about 3.5 hours earlier so I think it does attract compensation.
If it's more than 2 hours early then yes compensation is still due, it would have been 1 hour if less than 7 days notice given so in this case that aspect makes no difference.

For cancellations made with a bit of notice it does rule out some of the main causes of Extraordinary Circumstances, such as weather and ATC overload. The relatively few Extraordinary Circumstances that could apply there are non BA related strikes, and things like airport capacity limits brought in. Neither of which applies to you here as far as I know. So certainly I would put in a claim after travel.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
Does anyone know if today’s BA908 is on its way to FRA yet. It is horribly delayed
It looks like crew shortage, since the aircraft at A11 came in from LYS at 13:45 a mere 20 or so minutes late. At the moment they haven't got the gate open yet and it's just showing as "Expected 17:25". It has a target take off time of 17:54 but that's now impossible.
Prospero likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bluekjp
My rebooking for Sunday has now been scratched by BA too:
LHR/NCL BA1326 18 Jun 0815

Is it possible to know the reason for this cancellation which has 2.5 days notice?
That will almost certainly be crew or aircraft shortage, probably the latter. Anything 2.5 days cancelled and no obvious strikes etc is going to be claimable. In your case it can be 2 claims, depending on replacement timings.
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It looks like crew shortage, since the aircraft at A11 came in from LYS at 13:45 a mere 20 or so minutes late. At the moment they haven't got the gate open yet and it's just showing as "Expected 17:25". It has a target take off time of 17:54 but that's now impossible.
Now 18:20 gate A11 for 18:49 take off. So we are rolling........
Prospero likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: BA
If it's more than 2 hours early then yes compensation is still due, it would have been 1 hour if less than 7 days notice given so in this case that aspect makes no difference.

For cancellations made with a bit of notice it does rule out some of the main causes of Extraordinary Circumstances, such as weather and ATC overload. The relatively few Extraordinary Circumstances that could apply there are non BA related strikes, and things like airport capacity limits brought in. Neither of which applies to you here as far as I know. So certainly I would put in a claim after travel.
Many thanks CWS - much appreciated. Given the LHR security strikes are suspended next weekend Iíd assume the same as you. Thanks again.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 10:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Now 18:20 gate A11 for 18:49 take off. So we are rolling........
Thanks. This is good info I work with. I am on the BA909 by the way so fingers crossed my flight will not be cancelled
Old Jun 16, 2023, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
Thanks. This is good info I work with. I am on the BA909 by the way so fingers crossed my flight will not be cancelled
OK, they have now found some crew (I think) and it's now on Final Call at A11, gate was opened at 17:41, so I would guess doors closed a bit after 18:00 and take off at perhaps 18:35 ish? Effectively a 4 hour delay? When you finally get on to the aircraft, make sure you take careful not of the flight deck's briefing at doors closed. Your vessel tonight is G-EUPK.
Prospero likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.