Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
See post 1 to understand the 3 and 4 letter codes.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

Old Jun 13, 2023, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Hotcat1970
posted this elsewhere, but this appears the better location!
Can anyone share the reason for yesterday's delayed BA11 LHR-SIN (currently still sat on the ground at LHR awaiting departure). Crew time out and weather being the excuses yesterday, though other departures got away late in the evening yesterday.
They had a 25:35 delay due to the significant delay in towing the aircraft over to T5 from the maintenance base over at the eastern end of the aircraft. The tow was majorly delayed due to weather, thus the eventual time out on FTLs (Flight Time Limitations). They’ve just pushed with today’s BA 11 ahead of them. The delay is due to ‘Weather at Departure Station’.

Last edited by Sigwx; Jun 13, 2023 at 2:27 pm
Old Jun 13, 2023, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL, SAS EBG
Originally Posted by Sigwx
They had a 25:35 delay due to the significant delay in towing the aircraft over to T5 from the maintenance base over at the eastern end of the aircraft. The tow was majorly delayed due to weather, this the eventual time out on FTLs (Flight Time Limitations). They’ve just pushed with today’s BA 11 ahead of them. The delay is due to ‘Weather at Departure Station’.
Should be in scope, then. Getting the aircraft to stand is plainly "inherent within the air carrier's activity". What's the internal delay code?
Sigwx likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by flarmip
What's the internal delay code?
As stated in my final sentence. IATA wise it would be code 71.

EDIT TO ADD: as for the scope, it should be born in mind that take off and landing slot pairs are issued/allocated by ACL, an external organisation applying this role on behalf of the UK Gov and CAA by extension. 'HOW' an airline utilises those slots is up to them, however other nations and their governmental (think CBP opening times snd airfield operating hours) and commercially driven traffic patterns around a 24hr cycle do tend to 'suggest' when certain points of the globe get connected in terms of times via the mechanism of air travel. Heathrow is a tiny airport in area compared to other global Goliaths in air travel, and space is indeed at a premium. Inevitably, this leads to the need to move aircraft out of the way of a gate that is required by other services with a shorter 'dwell time' foot print.

The weather led to localised flooding and a tug is connected to around 175 tons of empty aircraft with a 77W. Safety will always be foremost and in conditions like these I can see both sides.
The board here is inundated with the woes of Gate A4 and A10, we either have more of it or a minimal as is possible. Busses loaded with pax driving in standing water and possible aqua plaining if conditions rapidly change? I defer to the point about safety being foremost. Yes there is plenty BA needs to improve on, but on this one I'm inclined to say that some days, 'SH!* happens', and the same would be the case world wide. DXB will totally shut down in similar conditions that has been experienced and I for one refuse to accept anything other than the fuel for the furthest most diversion field as the whole region goes to pot when DXB sneezes.

IRROPS has however always been thorn in BA's side and never fully grasped in terms of the importance or placing maximum effort into easing the fare paying pax's disruption.

Last edited by Sigwx; Jun 13, 2023 at 3:04 pm Reason: EDIT TO ADD
Old Jun 13, 2023, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Could anyone advise the reasons for three of four MXP flights (BA572/584/566) being cancelled today.

Assuming the early flight may have en impacted by aircraft out of position following yesterday’s weather related delays/cancellations, but feels unlikely for midday and early afternoon departures. Any guidance on if EU261 would be applicable to the later flights appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 3:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FlyingWeasel
Could anyone advise the reasons for three of four MXP flights (BA572/584/566) being cancelled today.
BA586 was cancelled a while back, as far as I can tell, whereas BA572 and 566 were cancelled as part of a group of cancellations this morning, some of which have been down as DAMN, but mostly it's equipment shortage and thus OK for EC261.
FlyingWeasel likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks C-W-S. Not sure I understand what DAMN is, other than the phrase uttered when receiving the cancellation email, but assume it’s the BA internal code for weather delays?
Old Jun 13, 2023, 7:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingWeasel
Thanks C-W-S. Not sure I understand what DAMN is, other than the phrase uttered when receiving the cancellation email, but assume it’s the BA internal code for weather delays?
DAM - Damage.
N - No compensation (according to whomever at BA who coded this).
FlyingWeasel likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 1:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gormless
DAM - Damage.
N - No compensation (according to whomever at BA who coded this).
That one wasn't in post 1 for some reason, but I've duly added it in.
FlyingWeasel and gormless like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Short notice cancellations 14 June 2023. The operations yesterday were not affected by weather issues, I even had an on-time arriving flight despite everything going against use in terms of bus gates to a congested area, and biometric scanner going down. So these cancellations should be purely aircraft or crew shortage, and thus claimable under EC261.

BA868 BUD
BA484 BCN
BA366 MRS
BA464 MAD
BA952 MUC
BA724 GVA
BA486 BCN
BA730 GVA
BA1420 BHD
BA306 CDG

BA107 DXB
BA175 JFK
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:00 am

Hi all, wondering if my situation might be in scope for compensation.
My flight on Monday, BA821 CPH-LHR was cancelled the day before and I was rebooked (and accepted) on to BA819. The original flight time was 2120-2220. The rebooked flight was 1800-1900. However the rebooked flight didn't arrive to stand until 2325 due to us being kept on the aircraft for 3.5 hours at Copenhagen airport and waiting nearly an hour for a stand at Heathrow. I couldn't properly hear the reasons for the delay. Any advice? Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robinfriday
My flight on Monday, BA821 CPH-LHR was cancelled the day before and I was rebooked (and accepted) on to BA819. The original flight time was 2120-2220. The rebooked flight was 1800-1900. However the rebooked flight didn't arrive to stand until 2325 due to us being kept on the aircraft for 3.5 hours at Copenhagen airport and waiting nearly an hour for a stand at Heathrow. I couldn't properly hear the reasons for the delay. Any advice? Thanks
You can claim cancellation compensation for the first move, that would be fairly clear. For the second delay, it still depends on what the captain said, so if you can't make it out you best ask a member of crew to repeat it. But you could put in a second claim for the delay nevertheless.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Can I make a request please?

This thread is very much about the reasons for flights being cancelled or delay, it's not really the overflow thread for the main EC261 thread. Now clearly there is an overlap here, and the last set of posts is a good example where it is difficult to split the issues apart. But nevertheless this thread should purely focus on reasons for cancellations/delays, and if the question is actually about how EC261 works, well there is a very well developed thread for that and it is best used for EC261 related enquiries. Since I don't know the reason for the CPH-LHR delay the logical response would be not to reply to the last question.

This is purely to make best use of resources, and I'm certainly not getting at anyone here, since I can see that the two issues are intertwined.
Sigwx, thomasd21 and Gtfowler like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jun 14, 2023 at 3:42 am
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by robinfriday
821 was cancelled due to aircraft serviceability issues (TECY). The 819 had a 42 minute reactionary delay, followed by a 13 minute ATC start-up delay. It would appear that your flight performed a ‘remote hold’ in order to free up a gate for other aircraft. I would imagine the reason for this was the weather induced delays inbound to LHR on Monday.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:38 am

Thanks for the quick response C-W-S. Comment noted!
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:38 am

ba868 bud fcry
ba484 bcn fcry
ba366 mrs fcry
ba464 mad tecy
ba952 muc tecy
ba724 gva tecy
ba486 bcn tecy
ba730 gva tecy
ba1420 bhd fcry
ba306 cdg fcry

ba107 dxb tecy
ba175 jfk tecy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.